+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default My experiences with Misoprostol (TMI warning)

My experiences with Misoprostol (TMI warning)

I have written my own experiences below of taking the treatment misoprostol because I was really overwhelmed by my failed pregnancy and couldn’t decide which option to take. I read the information on here by other posters and found it really helpful. Hopefully my story might help someone in the same situation.

At around 6.5 weeks I was told my pregnancy had failed and there was no embryo. This was also confirmed by HCG levels that didn’t really go up. I started to lose some of my symptoms too.

Obviously I was devastated. This would have been my second bubba and I was getting pretty excited about having 2 children with a relatively close age difference and was starting to make all those plans you make in excitement when you find out you’re pregnant.

We were leaving for Singapore with all my family to celebrate my dad’s 70th two days after I found out. I was worried it would happen while away but I also suspected that somehow it wouldn’t. I didn’t need to worry because fast forward 3.5 weeks and NOTHING had happened.

I was starting to get pretty keen for everything to be over and return to normal cycles etc. Plus there was the emotional side to still being pregnant but not being pregnant.

At ten weeks exactly I started to bleed bright red blood but in small amounts. I had very minor cramps but I knew it was starting. At this stage since the whole process had gone on for so long I decided I wanted to hurry things up and try to return to normal as soon as possible.

I won’t go into details but I had seen two obstetricians privately who both wanted to do D and C’s, although the second one did mention the medically managed option of ‘misoprostol’.

I rang the women’s hospital here in Perth and the midwife told me it was my choice how the miscarriage is treated and if the scanning place could send the scans through, they could see me that day. By the way, these ladies at the hospital were AMAZING. I was treated with such kindness and respect, far more than I have ever received through any obstetrician in the private system.

My daughter was in day care for the day and my partner had taken the day off work, so off we went. We filled in all the paper work and I was admitted as a patient of the hospital. We did have to wait a while, probably under 2 hours but we knew that would be the case and came prepared with books and ipads.

The misoprostol was placed against my cervix by a lovely, lovely midwife who held my hand and said she was sorry for my loss. She came back in with a velvet handmade heart and a gift bag which contained tissues, a candle and other little goodies which I thought was a gorgeous touch. The bags are put together by a group of women who have lost pregnancies and babies/children and they are dropped off to various hospitals:

http://carlymarieprojectheal.com/201...ous-light.html

What a special group of ladies.

Anyway, I had to be flat on the bed for 30 minutes, which was fine because it gave me time to reflect and with a toddler, I don’t get many opportunities to rest uninterrupted! After that we drove home and waited.

I was told it’d take up to 72 hours to start so I was surprised to get home and start experiencing cramps and bleeding straight away. The treatment went in at 12 noon and by 3 pm, things were happening. I got into bed with heat packs and my season of “Orange is the New Black’ (and some chocolate!)

I was told if I filled a pad in less than 30 minutes to go back to ED. To be honest, I would have come close to this. I wasn’t surprised by the amount of blood but it was quite confronting and at times I definitely felt a little faint (I started taking liquid iron). I lost 6 major clots which would have been the sac and they were substantial. Over all the really heavy bleeding lasted 2 days and the next 5 days were like a normal period. This dwindled to brown discharge.

In terms of pain, I took the panadeine forte they prescribed only once on the first day and nurofen a couple of times the following day. It wasn’t unmanageable. Over all, I was quite surprised by how easy the process was and god forbid, if I’m in this horrible situation again, I’ll take the same option and probably not wait as long as I did.

*Please note that this is my personal experience of misoprostol and your own experience of the same treatment might be different.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to acerbaby For This Useful Post:

PinkPopsicle  (26-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thank you. I had a DnC and probably didn't need too so this was very interesting to read. Than you so much for posting and I'm sorry for your loss.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No worries! I think my decision was made easier by the fact that I knew the pregnancy wouldn't really progress past the 6/7 week mark. If it had been a more developed pregnancy, I might had struggled with the process more (and graphically I mean, seeing a recognisable bubba).

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    So sorry for your loss

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry for your loss and thankyou for being brave to share your experience.

I've used misoprostel for both my missed mc's albeit the first one it was only intended to prepare my body for the d&c (worked 'too' well though and my body did the job just before heading to hospital)

With my 2nd mmc,it sadly didn't work so well. I ended up with 3 seperate doses and still required a d&c 5ish weeks later due to retained lining. I also ended up at the women's hospital here in Perth and can fully relate to how wonderful the staff are. I received a little crystal angel that had been made by volunteers at the time

Hope you are how feeling better physically and best wishes for your ttc journey when you feel ready again xx

Sent from my HTC Desire X using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for having the strength to share your story. This is the option i chose for my mmc and i really had to insist on it cause the hospital i went to rarely used it. I think it is not that well known. Definitely a better option than d&c if it works. I hope you never have to make the choice again though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Acerbaby, I'm so sorry for your loss but so pleased to hear you were treated with such kindness and respect and the process was relatively straight forward for you.

As someone who had 2 unguided D&C's for early miscarriage with devastating consequences (long battle with Asherman's syndrome) it's wonderful to hear you had the strength to persevere to access medical management (as is your right) & that it was available to you.

Hoping your next pregnancy is a sticky one

Thanks
    Reviews
    Acerbaby, Im sorry you went through this.
    I just wanted to thank you for your post about misoprostal.
    I had a D&C nearly four weeks ago, and due to retained POC, looks like tomorrow might bring Misoprostal (would like to avoid a second D&C).
    I notice from your sig you are expecting later this year. I hope I follow in your footsteps with a BFP soon.