+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Vent - In laws!

This is just a vent, so I can get it out and stop thinking about it.

Had dinner with in laws tonight, within the space of 2 hours they fed my DD hot chips, fried chicken, 2 slices of store bought cheesecake, two scoops of ice cream, fruit in syrup and were going to continue until I finally put my foot down.

I asked DH twice to say something! As usual he didn't and eventually I had to intervene, then I get the condescending comments and eye rolls. I don't mind them spoiling her a little but deep fried food AND two slices of cheescake AND ice cream AND syrup is just taking the p*ss! And the worst part is DH agrees with me about the cr*p they feed her, he just won't speak up when it comes to his parents.

These people are going to drive me insane... That is all 😐

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Gotta love in laws who just don't care.
    I always heard 'it's the grandparents job to spoil their grandchild' there is spoiling and there is just being down right ridiculous.
    Least u stood your ground! I'd of said something too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How old is your DD, OP?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I sympathize with you and its great you said something. I go thru the same shiz with my in-laws though Ive started making it clear to them if she can or cant have it so if im there they ask me first. .. though when im not and send her a lunchbox that comes back still full of what ive packed that drives me absolutely effing nuts! Especially as I try to bake, cook her healthy "treats"
    I dont mind her having a lil treat but not all the time.
    Your child your rules op

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'd be rolling my eyes too. I'm assuming this isn't a daily occurrence.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to BlissedOut For This Useful Post:

LaDiDah  (26-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My parents (mum especially) is horrible for this. Doesn't matter how many times I tell her, she laughs at me. Luckily DS1 is getting better at saying No if I coach him in the car on the way there and tell him he can only have one treat.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My parents and in-laws do this too. I often have to say "Ok I think that's enough now". They all think she's too skinny and that I only feed her fruit and veg but she gets treats all the time at play dates, when I do food shopping, if we go out for dinner so there are plenty of times she gets treats. The grandparents just love filing her with crap!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Redcorset For This Useful Post:

snowqu33n  (26-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    There's a difference between spoiling a grandchild with a treat and plying them with stupid amounts of junk food. Your in laws are the latter.

If your DH won't speak up, it'll have to be up to you. Continue being the voice for your child, or nothing will change.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

adeline14  (26-10-2014),MsViking  (26-10-2014),Purple Lily  (26-10-2014),TheGooch  (26-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How often do they feed her like that?
    If it's only on the odd occasion then I wouldn't get too worked up over it.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CMF For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (26-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Thanks for all the replies. Yes it looks like I'll just have to keep standing my ground. DD is 20 months, you'd think by now they'd get that I don't like her eating that much junk. I wish they'd ask myself or DH first and if we say no just accept it, they don't have to agree with us, I don't care whether they do or not, they just need to accept that we get to make the rules for our child.

BlissedOut it happens every time she sees them which is about 3 times a week, and while you may disagree I definitely don't think it's okay. It's like they try to ply her with as much junk as they can, as if that's what will make them good grandparents. While they feed it to her they say obnoxious things like 'who loves you the most, Grandma does because naughty Mummy doesn't let you have yummy cake/ice cream etc', its infuriating.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

LaDiDah  (26-10-2014),Purple Lily  (26-10-2014)