+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Reassurance that I can do it, this time!

So I don't have one specific question... lots of little ones, but probably just after some stories, general advice / reassurance.

I had great supply with DD (up to 1L per day) but most of that was donated to the milk bank as she needed far less! She never was able to establish direct BF (despite seeing an LC at least every second day for a month) so we continued with EBM for another 6 months after she was home.

Obviously DD's issues were due to her extreme prematurity, she later went on to have feeding issues when transitioning to solids and we ended up seeing the feeding team at PMH for it all. But it's made me a little anxious about whether I can feed this next bub.

So, chances are I'll be having a near to full-term bub this time (YAY!) and I've already started leaking out of my most productive breast from last time. Whilst I know that's not a sure fire indicator of performance/production, I have a good feeling I'll have no supply issues.

So, do full term babies just 'get it' straight away? How many woman with full term bubs need to see an LC? At what point do you decide you need to? How would you identify a tongue-tie if it were present?

TIA!

Thanks
    Reviews
    All babies are a bit different. Here are my stories:
    DS1 had real problems with attachment, I could only get him to attach to one side for the first week, did lots if expressing and ebm, also had problems with damaged/ painful nipples. I saw a LC early but things didn't really start to get better until he was 6 weeks old. Problems with oversupply rather than under supply and he ended up so chubby, 10kg by 6 months. I fed him until he was 17 months.
    DD was a really easy baby, no problems at all with bf'ing. She went 3-4hrs between feeds from the start, and fed her until 18 months.
    DS2 I assumed all would go fine, but I'm having problems with nipple pain and damage again. He had a posterior tongue tie and upper lip tie which were cut at 2 weeks old, but things haven't really improved. Saw a LC yesterday who thinks maybe tongue tie not fully released, but I think things should improve with time. Haven't had any supply problems this time.
    I just googled pics of tongue tie and could see that DS had heart shaped tongue. Upper lip tie is really easy to see as is a anterior tongue tie, I think. I would just ask every midwife that you see if they think there is a tongue tie- some are good at looking for them, others aren't.
    Good luck.

EDIT: All my babies were full term

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

GM01  (24-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Every baby is diff my 1st and 3rd had two weeks of iffy feeding but were ok after that. My others were fine and all born term Maybe this bby will be diff, but you have the most Most Most important factor down pat. - That your ready and willing. Congratulations!!!! What a super effort you put in the first time! Good luck you will do excellent
    Last edited by Mummy5ormore; 31-10-2014 at 19:58.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mummy5ormore For This Useful Post:

GM01  (01-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Both my babies were full term, although DS was a full kilo heavier at birth. DD was a shocking feeder, very fussy and wouldn't do a proper latch. She ended up having CMPI which explains the fussiness but I stopped BF at 12/13wks to go to prescription formula.

DS just got it straight away, he had a strong suck and decent latch (although not a textbook latch - more to do with my breasts than him though) and has been much easier to feed. We had a rough patch around 5-8ish weeks but it has settled down and I've managed to exclusively breastfeed for 14 weeks now.

I have the opposite problem to you, my supply isn't great and both times I needed motillium and lots of pumping to establish a supply, and it never really got there with DD. I feel that it's still fairly fragile.

I'm so happy for you that this bub has stayed put and will likely go full term. I've read lots of your posts and think you really deserve a beautiful birth experience and happy healthy baby!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

GM01  (01-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh, and see an LC as soon as possible, even if you think things are ok. I did that this time around and it made a big difference.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

GM01  (01-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone!
    @CitrusRain I was hoping someone would have a story like that!! I know all babies are different but that's great, thanks So glad you didn't have to express long term with your second!
    @Cue thank you so much, I feel like I'm on the home stretch and I'm very excited about the prospect of a full term baby!