+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Any nurses around to give advice re DS hurt foot?

DS hurt his foot while out with my Mum this afternoon doing sport - I'm not sure exactly what happened, but seems to be that he dragged his foot underneath him somehow. He went quite pale and Mum had to bring him home, usually he just gets over it (he can be a little sensitive sometimes). He walked down the steps out of the gym he was in but now wont walk on it at all. We've iced it and have it elevated but its a little swollen, it hurts when he wiggles his big toe and it's tender to the lightest touch. We've strapped it up.

Do we just leave it and see how he is in the morning or do we need to get it checked out? DH says it's fine but he always say that even when we ended up in hospital twice!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    At this time of night I would continue to RICE - Rest Ice Compression Elevation. See how it is in the morning. If it's still swollen, tender unable to weight bear etc then take him either to your GP for an X-ray referral or up to your local hospital. I only say this because it's unlikely they'll have a radiographer on still (but by all means ring and check with your local hospital). They won't call someone in for a swollen ankle. If it is broken, you're not going to do any further damage to it overnight if you RICE.

(I've been taken to emergency after a netball injury and sat there for 4 hrs until getting called in and told that I just had to come back in the morning as there was no radiographer to do any X-rays)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm an RN, if he can't weight bear Id be inclined to get it seen tomorrow if it's the same.
    He could quickly have broken a tiny little bone that they won't be likely to operate on but he might need a walking cast or some crutches to stay off it while it can heal.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the quick replies, will see how he is in the morning. I'm guessing we can give him panadol. If he's distressed in the night just give more and still wait for the morning.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    How's the foot today OP?

Thanks
    Reviews
    He's still hobbling and/or hopping. I took him to the GP this morning and at this stage we've put it down to ligament strain, he strapped it with a better bandage. He's given us an X-ray referral just in case but doesn't believe we will need it. Will continue with ice and nurofen/voltaren gel and keep an eye on it.

Thanks for checking on him 😀

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ICanDream For This Useful Post:

M'LadyEm  (24-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Good stuff. Glad to hear he's doing ok. Sprains and ligament damage can hurt more than breaks sometimes.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just thought I would update that I ended up taking DS for an X-ray as he was still complaining a week later. We got the results this morning and they came back unable to conclusively rule out any hairline fractures and that there was something not right but couldn't tell what. The Doc is suggesting we wait another week before we MRI to get a further diagnosis. DS is able to walk and even run on it but after a while he's back in tears. I'm not sure if we should wait the week as the report talks about a potential hairline fracture in the distal tibia which freaks me out.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Distal tibia? Not his foot... I'd get the MRI it think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The x-ray report refers to mild irregularity of the anterior distal tibial physis and that MRI may be considered for further assessment of a suspected physeal injury. He hurt his foot at the bottom of his leg where the foot joins if that makes sense. It may well be soft tissue as it refers to increased soft tissue density.

Urgh