+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default School pick ups. Confusing?

Next year I'll be working 3 days per week. Ds starts school/prep.
    The days I'm home, I'll pick him up and the days I work he'll either be in after school care OR my mum might pick him up one of those days.

Now I'm worried he'll get confused.

What's the best way to help him?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 2BlueBirds For This Useful Post:

Rice  (23-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't have kids in school yet but I would put something on the fridge with the days of the week and next to each day either write who is picking him up/going to after school care or put a picture of the person/place. I would also let him know each morning who will be picking him up that afternoon.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (23-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Different tags on his bag (like luggage tags) with a picture on it to symbolize what is happening that day. For example, my son used to catch the bus some days and be picked up by me on other days. He had a green tag with a bus picture and a blue tag with two stick figures holding hands to remind him.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ~ElectricPink~ For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (23-10-2014),Jakois  (24-10-2014),meljemillie  (23-10-2014),MissMuppet  (23-10-2014),Mmumm  (23-10-2014),monkey&&me  (23-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Remind him each morning. My oldest is in year three and sometimes her friends still don't know who they're going home with! My kids also get confused sometimes too, but we have plans in place now they're older and your school should too. I know for the first year of school they weren't allowed to leave the teacher until they could point out who was getting them, or the OOSH teacher came to collect them.
    Now they just know that if no one is there to get them 10 minutes after the bell goes to go to the office. There are always heaps of parents and kids still at the school for a good 30 minutes afterwards so I'm not worried about them being alone.

ETA - the tags on the bag is a brilliant idea!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (23-10-2014)

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    it will be ok.

you will just have to tell him in the mornings what he is doing that afternoon for a while ... Kids adjust to that kind of thing very easily. Its a bit like 'oh its wednesday, I have swimming, and on thursdays I have soccer'. They remember a routine.

Other than that - maybe have a roster written on the fridge.

whoever is picking him up - childcare, you or your mum - will be there at school pick up anyway ... so he will work it out easily enough

try not to stress

10. The Following User Says Thank You to BH-KatiesMum For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (23-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    a weekly schedule with velco and laminated faces of who is doing the pick up. Then you can talk to him about it the night before and morning of the school day. He could put the faces on to reinforce this. If it's day care just take a picture of the day care etc or use a photo of a minivan if they go in a van

12. The Following User Says Thank You to acerbaby For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (23-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was worried about that too but after a few weeks both my kids sorted it out in their busy minds. Fortunately in prep you have to go in to get them which the daycare bus (for after school care) did as well. So if they did get confused, whoever was picking them up knew what they were doing!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to BigweeBigwee For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (23-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by ~ElectricPink~ View Post
    Different tags on his bag (like luggage tags) with a picture on it to symbolize what is happening that day. For example, my son used to catch the bus some days and be picked up by me on other days. He had a green tag with a bus picture and a blue tag with two stick figures holding hands to remind him.
    Our school does this for kindy students that go to oosh. They have a tag attached to their bags stating the days that they are going to oosh.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

16. The Following User Says Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (23-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~ElectricPink~ View Post
    What a fantastic idea

18. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (23-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    the after school care people should be coming to the classroom to get kindy students and/or the teacher will know to remind them xx

20. The Following User Says Thank You to zooey For This Useful Post:

2BlueBirds  (23-10-2014)