+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Does your local library have the book The $21 Challenge? It's written with the intention that you can use forgotten stuff in the back of your cupboard along with cheap ingredients to feed your family for a week. I haven't read it but I've heard there are good, cheap recipes. There's also an affiliated website and forum, simplesavings.com.au. I'm not a member but I lurk on the public areas and subscribe to their newsletter.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Gosh it sounds tough but you can do it. You sound determined to get there and sound savvy enough to make it happen. Can you walk dogs with the kids on the weekends for extra cash or wash cars etc? Don't let Christmas terrify you. Make same lovely family traditions that don't cost money. I wish you all the best

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's also this blog http://120dollarsfoodchallenge.com with cheap recipe ideas that might help.

do you have anything to sell on ebay or atat garage sale?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It is tough so I feel for you OP.

I'd just clarify something for you - you will need 3 months genuine savings , not 6. And what this means, is that your full deposit amount has to be sitting in your savings account, untouched for a minimum of 3 months, with a demonstrated regular savings pattern - ie regular deposits. It does not however mean it needs to be the same amount each week...

I would absolutely take a small amount from savings to top you up, rather than stress about your kids living in vegemite sandwiches & how you will survive the next fortnight and be concerned about Christmas. Even if it pushes your savings plan back a month, in the long term this won't matter a great deal.

I'd also suggest perhaps looking at your budget for the next 12 months and factor in these big annual expenses in a month to month basis, as when you have a mortgage, you prob won't have the sane luxury is dipping into savings..,

Good luck!!! We have recently been there and I know how tough it is!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Op don't dip I to you savings. You said that when you buy a house in your price bracket you will be paying half on a mortgage than your rent. So taking out of your savings now won't save you long term. Get into that house ASAP which is what you are doing. You have you eye on the prize. Go to supermarket regularly and buy only reduced or priced down food. I picked up a bag of bananas a whole big bag full for $3! Banana sandwiches anyone? You can do this....

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

greenfairy  (26-10-2014),MissMuppet  (24-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ending 5/6/15100 Posts in a week
    It is possible to feed your family for that much.

Breakfast is porridge
    Lunch is a mighty mite sandwich
    Afternoon tea is a pack of 2 minute noodles
    Dinner is things like tuna morney with home brand tuna and rice, spag bog full of lentils, cheese toasties, ect.

You can do this!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Forget about what other kids are having for lunch. Some parents use canteen all the time and have no money for basics. It's a trap. I had a Vegemite sandwich for lunch every day for about 5 years when I was at school. I loved it.

Keep your eye on the prize. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's possible to feed your family for that. Fruit and veg that's in season is cheap. So I don't even think you need to resort to unhealthy meals.
    A whole 2kg bag of carrots was $1.90 at my local supermarket. Tinned tomatoes to make sauce, we buy a slab which is 12 tins for $9 at the deli, potato, pumpkin and sweet potatoes are cheap. Do you know anyone with chickens? Often people need to get rid of eggs! You could do a couple of vegetable frittatas and slice it up for kids lunches .
    Pasta with home made sauce from tinned tomato costs less then any prepackaged sauces.
    Fried rice with verges that might be close to use by dates. Just use soy sauce to season and you don't need a stack of verges to make it.
    Make muffins and freeze some. Kids can take this to school too. Flour, a couple of eggs and some grated veges with a bit of cheese for flavour could be cheaper then sandwiches I reckon.
    I make meatballs out of sausages sometimes because less goes further that way. Add the meatballs to the pasta.

Anyway a few ideas only but I think $230 for two weeks groceries is plenty. Just stay away from jars and prepackaged snacks and sauces as these are generally expensive.
    If you have to get detergent etc this week just buy a small pack to get you through to your next pay.
    Also shop around if it helps.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Steph12 For This Useful Post:

lilypily  (24-10-2014),MissMuppet  (24-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Do you have anything that you can sell on gumtree, fb buy swap sell etc? Clothes you or kids don't wear, unused appliances, DVDs etc. It might not be much but might make this fortnight a bit easier.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Im so sorry to hear of your troubles. We too had the same situation, however we had a really hard time as we were also self employed and no bank would lend to us. We finally got there butnit meant me selling my cafe in order to do so. Since then we have struggled in terms of finances and it feels every step forward results in 2 steps back. I save and save and then a ton of bills come in. I then started my own online business in health and wellness after being approached by a friend, and since doing so have been able to meet the expenses with money to spare. It in no way has made me rich... yet! But im a lot more comfortable, revolve it around my 2 children and my part time job, and I love doing it. Maybe you could consider a plan b income to help meet the day to day expenses leaving u free to put your wage into your savings? xx