+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default I didn't realise it would be quite this hard.....buying our first house :(

Hi everyone I have been hanging around here for a while but have only just registered an account. I was hoping for a little advice because today is a pretty low day for me We're half way into saving for our first house with another 4 months to go provided we stay on track. We have always wanted a family home and we are so close but today I had a rego to pay plus DH's drivers licence and another rego due in 2 weeks. It is a necessity to have 2 cars as we have to travel to school and DH to work. It normally works out ok financially but wow its tight this fortnight and I'm on the verge of breaking down and crying. I have paid everything and put away what we needed to into the savings account - I have $232.00 left to feed a family of 5 for 2 weeks and to be honest I have no idea how to do it. We usually spend $320.00 for the fortnight and that is a huge thing with only buying homebrand/special items, sausages/mince for meat and the cheapest fruit and veges. We are out of everything and the freezer is empty and we have too buy toilet paper, washing powder, shampoo etc... because we are out of all of that too Can it be done? If so then how? And is this usually what people go through saving for their first house? It is a really horrible feeling particularly when the kids are eating vegemite sandwiches pretty much everyday for lunch and other kids at school have tuckshop etc... Also christmas is terrifying me. Its such a hard thing to go through because we're buying in the price range that we'll be paying about half of what we pay in rent...we're pretty keen to renovate. Any advice, tips or just anything you can think of would be wonderful because I am lost Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Personally I would take some of the money from your savings account to make up what you need and then your only a fortnight away from your goal past the four months. There's no point having money in an account if you can't afford to live

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mum2b87 For This Useful Post:

MummaOJ  (25-10-2014),pooks  (24-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We can't take the money from the account. We were told that we need to keep it a regular amount per fortnight and that we can't take anything out. There has to be a minimum of 6 months genuine savings history and if I were to draw out $100.00 then we would be pretty much starting again if that makes any sense

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel your pain! We have enough money for a really good deposit but because it's not counted as genuine savings we can't use it! It's ridiculous! There are so many hurdles to go through to buy a house and there are so may people in the same boat.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are in the same boat except we have brought our first house... unfortunately with the time I had off coupled with all the medication/illnesses we have had and expensive surgery my husband had (emergency) I also have the horrible feeling of paying off debts and having little to get through until the next pay. I will give you a couple of things we use,

1) Do you have family that may be able to help you out. My mum and I are close and generally if I call and ask her to grab me some bread and milk or some nappies she will do it and not mention it.

2) Spagetti bolognaise and tuna bake are my best friends. I make a big batch and freeze in individual portions. That way when we really are at the end, the kids eat this and hubby and I will have toast for dinner or tinned spaghetti.

3) Do you have Qantas frequent flyers...we've had them for years and just figured we'd use them for flights one day but I accidentally pressed 'shop' on my last statement and made the awesome discovery that they can be traded for gift vouchers.... we actually qualified for $1500 worth. I got $500 big w to get the kids some summer clothes and now and for christmas, $500 for petrol and $500 for woolworths shopping. This has given us over a month of breathing room and taken care of christmas which I was terrified for.

As PP said it may be worth dipping into the savings a bit just to get the food essentials and maybe put the house off another month...I know it would feel like you are going backwards but in the scheme of things an extra month is not too bad.

Hugs hun I hope it gets easier soon and you are in your new house!!!

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Meld85 For This Useful Post:

Apple iPhart6  (24-10-2014),debsch  (23-10-2014),VicPark  (23-10-2014),Wise Enough  (24-10-2014)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Are you on Freecyle.org? Sign up and keep an eye out for things that people are giving away that may be suitable for Christmas gifts. You can also put wanted notices up. A few months ago I got a very good adult bike in excellent condition for myself so I could go for bike rides with DS. (Everything is free on freecycle.) Keep an eye out for garage sales, car boot sales etc. People are keen to de-clutter and often just want things gone and you might also pick up some bargains for Christmas.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Meld85 View Post

3) Do you have Qantas frequent flyers...we've had them for years and just figured we'd use them for flights one day but I accidentally pressed 'shop' on my last statement and made the awesome discovery that they can be traded for gift vouchers.... we actually qualified for $1500 worth. I got $500 big w to get the kids some summer clothes and now and for christmas, $500 for petrol and $500 for woolworths shopping. This has given us over a month of breathing room and taken care of christmas which I was terrified for.
    Oooo! I didn't know that! Very useful info, thank you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Same with flybuys I got a $200 voucher for coles

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    BTW Op my response room a while as my kids kept interrupting me and I didn't see your reply regarding not being able to take any out before I pressed submit...

Mod-RaryGirl is offline Forum Manager
    Winner 2013 - Best Avatar
    << Awesome avatar by Best Things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sara rose View Post
    We can't take the money from the account. We were told that we need to keep it a regular amount per fortnight and that we can't take anything out. There has to be a minimum of 6 months genuine savings history and if I were to draw out $100.00 then we would be pretty much starting again if that makes any sense
    I'd check with another bank on that - usually you just have to show 6 months of genuine savings. Not a huge lump sum and then nothing for months, just regularly saving - doesn't have to be a set amount.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-RaryGirl For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (23-10-2014)