+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Help me parent my happy hypo baby!

My DS is almost 8 months old, and although it doesn't sound bad - I'm getting really frustrated.

Everyone comments on how happy and chilled out he is, and really he's never upset unless I take something from him which he really wants i.e phone etc.

The problem is he'll just go go go all day and is hard to settle. He shows no signs of tiredness at all, I can't settle him with anything but boob - but now he has a tooth and he's starting to bite me on purpose (he thinks "Ouch" is hilarious and has a good giggle). He stopped taking a dummy just over a month ago...

I can't settle him in his cot as he just crawls around giggling and kicking his legs - you can't pat shush that!!
    He used to have a bath n bed routine but the Dr said to only bathe him twice a week due to facial eczema... But I think we'll have to reimplement it.

By the end if the day he's manic even after 2 or 3 day sleeps; he won't feed, or be held, he pinches and bites. I've got bruises on my arm from last night..

He only gets fruit, veg, oats and a bit of meat, lentils etc.

Yes I know "at least he's not crying" but that really doesn't help my situation...

I can't wean him as he won't take a bottle and formula in his straw cup confuses him - a lot of people are telling me to stop breastfeeding but then I'll have ZERO tricks up my sleeve to settle him.. Others can only get him to sleep in the pram.

I'm at the end of my tether... Any suggestions on getting my crazy baby to calm the hell down!?

Thanks
    Reviews
    That does sound frustrating - everyone needs a little down time!

I think if bfing is the only thing that helps settle him there's no way I'd stop, you need at least one card to play!

Maybe you could re-introduce the bath & bed routine, maybe add a quick massage if he'll sit still for that? You could also use that to apply an eczema- helping product to make up for bathing him every day? There are a few skin-friendly washes you could add to the bath as well (moogoo, or something with oats maybe?).

Also with the weather warming up it will be easier to wear him out during the day with activities like going to the park or water play, which might help him settle for sleep better.

Hope that helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe the PND diagnosis (this afternoon) has something to do with this post..
    Thanks for the advice
    I'll be calling panda in the next few days.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hey OP, I know how frustrating it is. My bub was exactly as you describe and it is exhausting. She is still hyper at 26 months. I mean bouncing off the walls at the end if the day not even looking tired type hyper. What works for us is the bath time bedtime ritual. I Seriously did exactly the same things at the same time everyday like a robot that way she knew what was coming and it relaxed her . That way if she refused to sleep all day I knew that once we had done the nighttime routine she would finally go to sleep and give me a break for the night before waking at 5am . I have not slept in past 5am since my hyper bub was born. Yes I am exhausted. Some babies are just like ours and simply don't need as much rest as most other little ones. After a period of no sleep in our house for almost 48 hours straight once (yep I nearly went crazy ) I found that a firm routine was the key to dealing with my DD. If she didn't nap at the time a nap was due I didn't bother trying to settle because nothing would work . In the early days i spent hours trying to settle DD to sleep but it never worked so I eventually gave up to save my sanity and just accepted that the nap wasn't happening. She wouldn't even nap on very long car rides (5 hours). Just too alert. Still won't nap in the car. Life improved when DD could walk/run to exhaust herself during the day! Hugs - a bub like this would not be helping Pnd situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @Stumpy it's good to know I don't have the only crazy baby
    And I know there's no malice in his actions, even when he bites me on the face, he's just a beautiful little baby testing out his new tooth..

I hope one day you get some rest stumpy xox