+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It would depend on who the person was, what exactly the piece was like and my mood.

I often comment on things that my facebook friends post. As long as it's reasonable, most people I now seem happy to discuss/argue their views.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

ExcuseMyFrench  (23-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Childless by choice.
    She's has a very busy life, runs two jobs (incl one FT) and has very time consuming hobbies.

To catch up with her you'd need to book a date 3 weeks in advance and would probably be able to catch her from 5 to 6 on a week night.

She will start TTC very soon though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In that case I'd leave it as she will hopefully realise when she has a bub that it is a full time job in itself, and that she was out of line. There's nothing like experience to teach people empathy!

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

5. The Following User Says Thank You to littlelove For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I still wouldn't bother saying anything. Who knows what her motivation was. I'm not on Facebook but I find the whole "post an objectionable article, comment, rinse, repeat" way a bit strange. Maybe ask her about it if you really could be bothered next time you catch up?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I would probably leave her to that opinion and not bother challenging it (though I am curious as to what the article actually entailed).

If she eventually becomes a mother she'll probably end up eating her words!

I have an acquaintance on Facebook who is childless not by choice (medical reasons). She often posts quotes and snippets that are pretty tough love and pro smacking in relation to parenting. Sometimes I feel like commenting, but I'm not sure how to do it without hurting her, or reminding her she's not a parent herself. So I leave it be.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Sonja  (23-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If she wasnt that close a friend i would un-friend her.
    I un-friended a lady (who was really only a face book friend) cos she was constantly posting how people who un-vax deserve their kids to die and should be charged with their deaths etc. There was always a post about people who dont vax and i just got sick of hearing about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by loislane2010 View Post
    If she wasnt that close a friend i would un-friend her.
    I un-friended a lady (who was really only a face book friend) cos she was constantly posting how people who un-vax deserve their kids to die and should be charged with their deaths etc. There was always a post about people who dont vax and i just got sick of hearing about it.
    Wow I dont blame you, what an awful thing to say or to wish on a poor innocent child and their loving parents! I am pro-vax and I would never ever wish that on someone. She sounds like someone you are better off without!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would leave it and ask her what it was about the next time I saw her if it bothered me enough. I know people who are childless by choice and they cop a lot of flak for it, so it's probably just a reaction to something they've been told.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    So I have asked her whether she had an issue with SAHM and mentioned that she might have ruffle some feathers amongst her SAHM friends by liking the opinion piece!

She replied that she loved the article and it's about the girls that don't work who like it first. And that she wants to be one.

So I advice that she might want to wait and see how it's actually like as she might need some support and venting space once she is one. And she agreed.

I guess I was more annoyed at the opinion piece rather than my friend like. Probably a brain fart. She has no idea about these things, lives in fairy land and has close to no social skills. If you have gain 2kg she'd tell you're fat and to get your lazy bum to the gym

The opinion piece is quite mean I found. She is basically having a go at her supposed friends that need a place to vent. SAHM have good and bad days just like anybody else. Why wouldn't they be allowed to vent? Why wouldn't we give them some slack?
    When my colleagues come and rant about work I don't tell them to quit or change careers... I'll post the "article".

Oh also I agree I should have ignored it. And I can't wait for her to learn the hard way that being home with your kids isn't rainbow and fairytale every minute of the day

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    here it is

Dear Stay-At-Home-Moms, Please Shut Up.
    Just be content or quit your whining.

By Susannah B. Lewis for YourTango.com

Oh, the poor, exhausted stay-at-home mother: her yoga pants constantly
    covered in little people's various body fluids and her dreams of backpacking across Europe flushed down the toilet with her cell phone (courtesy of her toddler). The sad, resentful woman with a sink full of dirty dishes, a hamper full of grass-stained clothes, unhelpful husband, ornery children and burned chicken.

Before you rip the electric sliding doors from your minivans and charge at me with sharp kitchen utensils because of that first controversial paragraph, please know that I, too, am a stay-at-home mom (SAHM), raised by a SAHM, and constantly surrounded by friends and family who are also SAHMs, so I have some authority on this subject.

I know what it's like to have a horrible day. I know what it's like to run a fever of 103, with the intense desire to sleep, and still have to burp people and try to block out the shrieking sound of screaming toddlers. I completely, utterly, wholly and thoroughly understand that being a SAHM is a stressful, selfless and never-ending job. I believe it is easier to solve calculus problems whilst under the influence of mind-altering drugs than it is to devote all of your time and energy to short people who rely on you for everything.

However.

I am beyond sick and tired of hearing SAHMs complain about their long resume of "chef, maid, chauffeur and bookkeeper all rolled into one!"
    I, too, command all of those roles, and yet, I manage not to constantly sigh in disgust at my choice to care for my children or vent to anyone who will listen in the grocery store line about my unfulfilled life.

I think it's time for the indignant SAHMs of the world to take a heaping helping of Shut Your Friggin’ Piehole. Instead of complaining about how weary, exasperated and annoyed you are with caring for your children and your spouse, reconsider for a moment that you are one of the most privileged species on the planet.

I have friends who choose to work and I have friends who must work. My
    friends who are required to clock in every day leave their children in the care of others while they solve the business world's problems.
    They duck out of meetings to take a call from Mrs. Jones and discover that the baby just said her first word or took his first step. They hang their heads at cluttered desks because they've missed so many precious milestones.

I was pumping breast milk when watched my son discover his toes for the first time as he sucked on them with slimy baby gums. I was sleep-deprived when I witnessed my daughter's first step, and her first plummet to the hardwood floor. Mrs. Jones wasn't there. I was.

And I'm incredibly thankful for that.

I am thankful that I have the option of wearing my pajamas until noon.
    I am thankful that I don't have to answer to some sleazy boss who tries to look down my blouse. I am thankful that I dont have to rush
    home after a long day at work to thaw Stouffer's lasagna. I am thankful that I was the one to clean the baby diarrhea from the shag rug, to bandage the boo-boo, to console colicky cries. Many of those things weren't easy, and they sure weren't fun, but I'm thankful that I experienced them.

To the SAHMs who can’t be thankful and instead view life at home with their children as one putrid event after another, I say this:

If you despise constantly being in the company of humans who drool, if you are completely unsatisfied and miserable and longing for a way out, then, pretty please with a cherry on top, get a job, volunteer, find a hobby, go out with the girls. Do SOMETHING.

Just stop knocking on my door with your greasy hair and your caffeine withdrawals and sit at my kitchen table and try to convince me that your children are Satan's spawn and gripe that you had to clean all three toilets today.

(Three toilets. Some people have to pee outside in holes.)

I'd just like to hear one of these SAHMs say to me, "I am so blessed. I have a faithful husband, gorgeous and healthy children, a beautiful home, and I am fortunate enough to stay home and enjoy my blessings."
    Just say that to me once per a instead of continually moaning about the dust accumulation on your furniture, the temper tantrums in Target and the gas you burned hauling your children to baseball, ballet and soccer practice.

Just be content or quit your whining. You're giving us thankful SAHMs a bad rap.
    Last edited by ExcuseMyFrench; 23-10-2014 at 11:51.