+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    It really depends on your local hospitals (public and private).

For me, birthing in an inner Melbourne private hospital means I'll be $5k out of pocket all up (that includes $3k for OB fees).

It also means that I am guaranteed a private room with ensuite, a longer post partum stay with 24/7 qualified support (that will arrive 5min after I buzz them and not 1 hr later like in my public hospital) and more importantly I get to choose and see the same doctor all pregnancy and at birth.
    Can I ask which hospital you birthed at? I also birthed privately and my experience was very different.

They dont guarantee you a private room, you just get preference if there is one available. They definently dont come running to your room in 5 mins, I remember waiting at least an hour to get a tiny cup of formula, not to mention not having one middie pop their head in all night, to check my levels or give me pain medication (I had a c-section), it was really painful having no help all night with no pain relief in my system for 12 hours stright 2 days after my stomache being cut open.

In my experience going private was a waste of money & there really is no difference but a huge bill even though you are covered under PHI when you leave.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pusheen The Cat View Post
    Can I ask which hospital you birthed at? I also birthed privately and my experience was very different.

They dont guarantee you a private room, you just get preference if there is one available. They definently dont come running to your room in 5 mins, I remember waiting at least an hour to get a tiny cup of formula, not to mention not having one middie pop their head in all night, to check my levels or give me pain medication (I had a c-section), it was really painful having no help all night with no pain relief in my system for 12 hours stright 2 days after my stomache being cut open.

In my experience going private was a waste of money & there really is no difference but a huge bill even though you are covered under PHI when you leave.
    Oh my goodness where was this?
    I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsthomo View Post
    Oh my goodness where was this?
    I'm sorry you had such a bad experience.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    The Mercy in Heidleberg, I had my own room, and was a private patient.
    The next morning of the night where I wasn't assisted or given and medication, the midwife on day shift who had mostly been on roster and looking after me was shocked that no one had signed the chart or kept up my pain relief.
    She was absolutely lovely and clearly cared and loved her job, I wish more were like her though. You could say I had a very stressful time, not due to bubs but just everything, by day 3 I wanted to be home, I couldnt discharge myself as I was a private patient so I had to wait until the fourth day midnight to be given clearance to be discharged, I couldnt handle being in hospital for another night, I needed my sons father and mum more than anything.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Pusheen The Cat For This Useful Post:

mrsthomo  (23-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was also at the Mercy in Heidleberg but as a public patient. I had my own room and DH stayed on a fold out bed on the floor. Apart from 1 or 2 absolute b!tches the other midwives were amazing. I had to stay for a few days prior to birth for PE and then for about 6 days afterwards as Bub was in NICU. I am hoping to go to the Mercy again if we have #2. I absolutely loved it there and it made what was a horribly stressful situation into something much more bearable. We actually went went DD was about 6 months old for her to get a U/S and the doctor that did my emergency c-sec recognised us and came to say hello. I was very happy and no out of pocket costs.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LaDiDah For This Useful Post:

mrsthomo  (23-10-2014),Pusheen The Cat  (23-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depends on your hospital - I would be more worried about the hospital than public/private. My hospital was public and the high risk hospital for the state, so, awesome. Whether you use an OB depends on what you want. They're looking at my privates etc - I don't want to see the same person twice how embarrassing & I'm just not a people person so like the anonymity of a diff person each time. Hubby didn't get kicked out of hospital but he went home anyway. He liked the sleep and getting the house in order and me bonding with bub by myself was pretty special. He still had plenty other bonding time and is a very proactive father. Somehow I still landed a private room and stayed there 5 days. Luck of the draw I guess. It could be cheaper if you got an OB but went to a public hospital? Like everyone says it depends what experience you want.

My advice though would be don't wait to start trying. Public/private/whatever, you don't know how long it's going to take you to conceive & whether you'll have any fertility issues.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Eilonwy For This Useful Post:

mrsthomo  (23-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely is a hospital vs hospital issue rather than a public v private. There are some fantastic hospitals in both categories. But there are some circumstances where public can be better.

I had my children in two different private hospitals. The first was amazing - couldn't speak highly enough of the facilities and service.

The second was in a different city and a very different experience. Very crowded and short staffed. There weren't enough beds/rooms for everyone as they were having an unexpectedly busy week with a lot of early deliveries and I had to keep switching rooms. Not their fault, but just something to keep in mind - going private does not guarantee you a room to yourself and it doesn't guarantee sufficient staff numbers. My baby had medical issues and had to be transferred to a public hospital with a NICU anyway, but they didn't have any room at the public hospital for me to go with him, so I was stuck at my private hospital (had just had c-section) and my baby was at a different hospital. It was traumatic and I would absolutely have been better off going for the large public hospital from the get go.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hands down private for us! The care in early pregnancy and throughout and then also afterwards was such a stark contrast that it almost makes me want to have another...almost!

Wish I'd gone private all the way through. Our local public (The John) is very understaffed which isn't their fault but there is a lot of generalisations and everyone fitting a certain mould and if you don't then you and your baby is at risk of dying. We lost many babies due to inadequate care, testing and simply just returning multiple phone calls which is an absolute joke, particularly from the fetal medical unit of all places!

We did come across some great midwives in delivery in both hospitals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Pusheen The Cat View Post

That was at St Vincent Private in Melbourne. I actually cried on discharge as I didn't want to leave the ward and the awesome team of midwifes. It was like having many many mummies

Guaranteed a private room as they don't have any shared room.
    Very responsive to the buzzer, day and night, always offering drugs for pain and ice in a pad for my episio

At the end of the day, it's just one experience in one hospital. My 5 other friends who birthed there were ecstatic too but I just recently read some pretty average reviews of the same place.

I believe the issue isn't public or private? But rather hospital A or hospital B? There's good and bad places in both categories.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Public all the way for me, but it really depends on your local hospitals, and what level of risk your pregnancy is. I birthed in a public hospital that has been mentioned here by someone else (who didn't like their experience). I could not have faulted it. I had one on one care with the one midwife for all of my pregnancies and births, and she did all my home visits postnatally. It was BRILLIANT. Far better care than I would have received had I gone to the private hospital and it was at no expense to me.
    The only downside was that DH couldn't stay with me overnight after our first (second time he had to be home with our oldest anyway and third time I went straight home) but I wouldn't pay private to get that anyway.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    That was at St Vincent Private in Melbourne. I actually cried on discharge as I didn't want to leave the ward and the awesome team of midwifes. It was like having many many mummies

Guaranteed a private room as they don't have any shared room.
    Very responsive to the buzzer, day and night, always offering drugs for pain and ice in a pad for my episio

At the end of the day, it's just one experience in one hospital. My 5 other friends who birthed there were ecstatic too but I just recently read some pretty average reviews of the same place.

I believe the issue isn't public or private? But rather hospital A or hospital B? There's good and bad places in both categories.
    Oh wow, thats pretty awesome!
    Yeah I agree, its luck of the draw with which hospital you choose & who looks after you. I think the whole experience with my CS under a GA was horrible, so the recovery was harsher than expected by being knocked out for a whole day and groggy the next, by the 3rd day I wanted to be home lol.