+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Thank you all for your answers! :)

Unfortunately I live 15 minutes from Gympie!

I had quite a bad experience there when I developed a bloodclot during chemo and was in hospital for just over a week.

There was a morning that I was told I needed emergency surgery to cut it out and I couldn't eat. I was only told the next day (after lunch had been and gone) when I asked about my sugery "oh, nobody told you? They're moving you to Nambour. You can eat."
    My husband had to go out and get me takeaway because I hadn't eaten for over a day!
    That's just an example. There were rude nurses, people yelling in the hallways at all hours and I was moved 3 times. Once into a shared room with people coughing when my immune system was well and truly down!
    When I was moved to Nambour it was 1000x better!

I wasn't aware that you couldn't choose which public hospital you went to! I will definitely be going private and waiting!

We were thinking of staying down the coast a week before my due date and praying he/she doesn't come any earlier! He definitely doesn't want to deliver on the side of the road!

Money isn't a huge issue, we would just like to know what we're in for so we can save up for it.
    Last edited by mrsthomo; 23-10-2014 at 06:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think a lot of it depends on which public hospital is your local as well. Some public hospitals are excellent, some are terrible. Same goes for private.

My big advantage for private is having my own obstetrician, I love the comfort and familiarity of having the stone one throughout. Even for non birth things, I'm 18 weeks pregnant and ended up in hospital last Tuesday with appendicitis. My ob was great about talking to my surgeons and partner ob's to ensure care of me and my bubba. I ended up being transferred to the private hospital for my appendectomy as the AMO for my public hospital wanted to do the surgery himself because of the complications, but he had a full list at the private. My ob was at a conference but discussed op with surgeon before hand, organised another ob on hand for complications and organised an ultrasound the next day as well as calling me multiple times.

Having said that, my ob only accepts a small number of patients and only works in partnership with 1 other ob and they cover each other only on holidays, she responds to all birth calls herself unless she's on holidays. There is another group of ob's here that work a rotating roster to cover each other after hours, weekends and on holidays, there's about 5 in the group. So if you pick one of those 5 and go in to labour after hours there is only a 1 in 5 chance of actually getting your own obstetrician. I wouldn't be happy with that.

Sent from my D6503 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Grebbeci For This Useful Post:

mrsthomo  (23-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I recently gave birth at the Sunshine Coast private, and I'm glad I went there as it was my first baby. I was somewhere in the region of $3k out of pocket, as the Medicare safety net kicked in once I'd paid the OB fee at 20 weeks, and I had no complications during the birth so no anaesthetists fee etc. The hospital still felt like it has understaffing issues over the weekend, and there were times I felt like I'd been forgotten about (like when I was in labour!) but the large double room was great so that DH could stay, support me and bond with DD. I will probably go public next time but only because money will be an issue. I think it's definitely worth it for your first baby, and we met quite a few couples who came from further afield than you who went there to birth, so it is quite common. Good luck with TTC and the journey through pregnancy, birth and babies!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mad84 For This Useful Post:

mrsthomo  (23-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It depends what you want from your birthing experience. Find out exactly what you are paying for, and decide if you want a natural birth or if you are ok with high levels of intervention.

In the private healthcare setting you are paying to have an obstetrician led birth. The private obstetricians I have worked with (so I'm not generalising to ALL obs) were of the opinion they are paid to deliver a baby safely, not to give a woman a good birthing experience. You will find some (not ALL) do things like routine episiotomy, they get paid more for every intervention they do. Hence the higher c/s rate in private hospitals. Once you start interfering with the birthing process it leads to more intervention and so on and so forth, Google 'the cascade of intervention' if you are interested. The only benefit I see to private is continuity of care, as in you can pick your obstetrician. However you are largely also picking to give birth the way they prefer, whether you realise it or not. However many women seem to find comfort in "knowing" their health care providers. Personally, you could not pay me to give birth under this model of care (although I do agree continuity of care is a great thing!).

In the public system, most births are midwifery led. So the midwives in the public system tend to have more experience in delivering a baby than in the private system. Some good public systems offer continuity of care models for antenatal care, but in terms of the actual birth the midwife (and obstetrician if called) will be who is rostered on that day. I find staff in the public system tend to let women labour and birth with a much more "hands off" approach. Midwifery care as a general rule aims to give the woman the best birthing experience possible, usually a more natural birth, as well as deliver a baby safe and healthy. Although this is not always the case and not all midwives are as good at their job (neither are all obs mind you!). I've found public obs to be just as qualified and professional (the profession is all held to the same standard regardless of setting!), and many obs work in both the private and public system. However this is just my experience, I am sure there are people on bubhub who have experienced the opposite

Long story short, I don't think you can generalise one type of birth over another, they are just different systems and both have pros and cons. As I said at the start, it largely depends on what type of birth you are aiming for and what you value from your health care providers. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Trooper View Post
    It depends what you want from your birthing experience. Find out exactly what you are paying for, and decide if you want a natural birth or if you are ok with high levels of intervention.

In the private healthcare setting you are paying to have an obstetrician led birth. The private obstetricians I have worked with (so I'm not generalising to ALL obs) were of the opinion they are paid to deliver a baby safely, not to give a woman a good birthing experience. You will find some (not ALL) do things like routine episiotomy, they get paid more for every intervention they do. Hence the higher c/s rate in private hospitals.
    Maybe there is a higher rate of CS in private hospital because women that WANT one chose to go private so that they can get one...

All the OBs I have met at my hospital were very happy to sit on their hands and let nature follow its course.
    Hell the OB I saw in labour convinced me NOT to have an epidural.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ExcuseMyFrench View Post
    Maybe there is a higher rate of CS in private hospital because women that WANT one chose to go private so that they can get one...

All the OBs I have met at my hospital were very happy to sit on their hands and let nature follow its course.
    Hell the OB I saw in labour convinced me NOT to have an epidural.
    I agree with this. I had a premature baby in a private hospital with no intervention, because my ob was happy that we were both doing really well. If he had suggested intervention I would have gone with it no questions because I trusted him 100% to do whatever it takes to make sure that we were both safe at the end of the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read all the replies but just wanted to say a few things. I have had friends that don't qualify for Medicare and have needed an emergency c section, it cost $15000 and that was just the surgery. I'd avoid going private if you don't have cover.

Also I live 45 minutes from out hospital, travelling for appointments, check ups when bub hasn't moved, in labour is just a pain. If waiting a few months means you can go to a private hospital closer to home I'd honestly take that option.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    I haven't read all the replies but just wanted to say a few things. I have had friends that don't qualify for Medicare and have needed an emergency c section, it cost $15000 and that was just the surgery. I'd avoid going private if you don't have cover.

Also I live 45 minutes from out hospital, travelling for appointments, check ups when bub hasn't moved, in labour is just a pain. If waiting a few months means you can go to a private hospital closer to home I'd honestly take that option.
    Unfortunately going private doesn't even mean I can birth closer to home.
    There's no maternity unit in our private hospital and our public hospital is appalling.

I've decided to just wait until out health cover has kicked in and try to be patient!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following User Says Thank You to mrsthomo For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (23-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    1. Is it really so bad to go public?

I went private but there is no way I'm sharing a room and more importantly a bathroom with anyone else after.
    I also loved my oby were on time.
    Had a fantastic dr who had great after care too

2. How much out of pocket will we be if we have to pay for private care?

We were aprox 3k for everything, that's in one of qld newest and upcoming private hospital, with who I say is one of the best oby in Brisbane. As we are returning it's going to be even cheaper this time.
    That doesn't include our phi fees ( but we would pay them anyway)
    Make sure you register for safety net too as once you reach that it's cheaper Medicare

3. What happens if we don't want our baby born in the area we live in? We want him/her to be born about an hour away (on the Sunshine Coast)

I would say you would have to go private as I've heard state catchments are strict

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Super Trooper View Post

In the private healthcare setting you are paying to have an obstetrician led birth. The private obstetricians I have worked with (so I'm not generalising to ALL obs) were of the opinion they are paid to deliver a baby safely, not to give a woman a good birthing experience. You will find some (not ALL) do things like routine episiotomy, they get paid more for every intervention they do. Hence the higher c/s rate in private hospitals. Once you start interfering with the birthing process it leads to more intervention and so on and so forth, Google 'the cascade of intervention' if you are interested. The only benefit I see to private is continuity of care, as in you can pick your obstetrician. However you are largely also picking to give birth the way they prefer, whether you realise it or not. However many women seem to find comfort in "knowing" their health care providers. Personally, you could not pay me to give birth under this model of care (although I do agree continuity of care is a great thing!).

In the public system, most births are midwifery led. So the midwives in the public system tend to have more experience in delivering a baby than in the private system. Some good public systems offer continuity of care models for antenatal care, but in terms of the actual birth the midwife (and obstetrician if called) will be who is rostered on that day. I find staff in the public system tend to let women labour and birth with a much more "hands off" approach. Midwifery care as a general rule aims to give the woman the best birthing experience possible, usually a more natural birth, as well as deliver a baby safe and healthy. Although this is not always the case and not all midwives are as good at their job (neither are all obs mind you!). I've found public obs to be just as qualified and professional (the profession is all held to the same standard regardless of setting!), and many obs work in both the private and public system. However this is just my experience, I am sure there are people on bubhub who have experienced the opposite

Long story short, I don't think you can generalise one type of birth over another, they are just different systems and both have pros and cons. As I said at the start, it largely depends on what type of birth you are aiming for and what you value from your health care providers. Good luck!
    Just wanted to point out that I paid a set fee for my OB regardless of what interventions were required. I had an episiotomy and forceps delivery with DD and I didn't pay extra. I was induced with DS, again no additional fee.

Like any professional service provider, do some research and select someone you're comfortable with and who fits what you're trying to achieve. Understand their fee structure and if necessary, shop around. Gap payment vary significantly between OBs.

My OB is outcome focused, that part is true, but that's what I'm paying him for! It's his job to tell me what is medically recommended and my job to decide what course of action to take and how I want the birth to go.

I really need to find it because this comes up quite a lot on here, but a study of maternal outcomes found that while intervention rates are higher in private hospitals, maternal outcomes were better. So there's a trade-off. But obviously these things tend to encourage generalizations and may not apply to a specific hospital/care provider.

OP, this is always a heated debate on BH but ultimately you need to do what you're comfortable with based on your specific circumstances.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (23-10-2014)