+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I have had a csec through the private system and the public. Hospitals were in buildings next to each other (so pretty much a joint hospital with private and public areas).

My private experience (with my first baby) was 1000 times better than my public one. The nurses were so helpful... Responsive 24/7.. Room was comfy.. Double bed for hubby... Stayed 5 nights... It made a daunting first time experience somewhat enjoyable. I was $7,000 put of pocket though as private health insurance in this country is a joke... Covers diddly squat.

My public experience (with my second) was horrible. Apart from the first night I got no help from the nurses. No help with breastfeeding. Yeah I had my own room but it was crappy and the aircon was broken... Was waayyyy to hot. Strangers hung around the hallway at night. One nurse suggested putting bub on formula on day 2 or 3. Lucky I knew enough by now to call her on that BS. I was shipped out early. Aftercare at home was a joke. I was lucky this was my second bub... If it was my first and I wasn't aware of certain things it could have been enough to send me into PND.

Anyhow in summary I am so glad I went private with my first. I couldn't afford to go private with my second, so can't change that. My first experience in private gave me the know how to cope with the crappy public treatment second time round.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi
    I had my baby through private hospital and ob. I was out of pocket probably $3000. If there is a number 2, I will definitely be going public.

I just received medical treatment for a miscarriage at a public women's hospital here in Perth and I was so impressed with the treatment and the midwifes, plus the facilities were excellent. '

My local public hospital is a new one with all private rooms and amazing facilities. I'd rather spend the money on family savings than pay for an ob. My ob was the head of obstetrics at a public hospital as well as running his private rooms.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    It really depends on your local hospitals (public and private).

For me, birthing in an inner Melbourne private hospital means I'll be $5k out of pocket all up (that includes $3k for OB fees).

It also means that I am guaranteed a private room with ensuite, a longer post partum stay with 24/7 qualified support (that will arrive 5min after I buzz them and not 1 hr later like in my public hospital) and more importantly I get to choose and see the same doctor all pregnancy and at birth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My first was born at the public hospital (as no other hospital catered for the gestation) and I am now booked in privately for second baby.

However, there were only two things stopping me from headed back to public hospital, I had a great care experience. The first was my own anxiety and memories of the first traumatic birth (which was not due to poor care whatsoever, it would have been equally traumatic anywhere), and the second is the fact that DH wouldn't be able to stay any length of time at all.

Out of pocket as a private patient at the public hospital = $0, not even my excess (it was reimbursed).
    Out of pocket estimate at private hospital including scans etc = $5k

Thanks
    Reviews
    I did shared care with gp in a public hospital
    So all appointments were with gp except 14weeks and 36weeks
    I stayed 3 nights
    with hubby on a fold out bed staying too after a vaginal birth

Laboured at home and arrived in hospital fully dilated to give birth to my baby

The appointments are basically the same public or private
    Check fundal height
    Bp
    Wee samples
    Scripts for blood tests
    Every 4 weeks initially, then 2 weeks then weekly

When you go into labour through public
    You arrive and you either give birth in the birthing suite through the midwifery program or just in a regular room and have a midwife assist with doctors available if needed
    The majority of public hospitals now have all single rooms with ensuites with partners allowed to stay

Private you have your ob attend
    Last edited by Kazza78; 22-10-2014 at 20:18.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    oh yes forgot to add, going private meant that DH could stay with me the whole 5 days.

He got to bound with our newborn and experience the first nights. It was such a special time. <3

Compared with my friends who went public and had the dad kicked out at 7pm as if he was a nobody?! Even when they were staying in double rooms so had room for the dad to stay. It just was not allowed.
    I guess Id go back home straight after birth of my hospital was not allowing DH. It think it's ridiculous.

Only matters if it's your first baby anyway For the next dads usually have to stay home with the kids

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    With PHI my out of pocket was somewhere between $3-4k. I wouldn't even consider going private without insurance, I saw a statement from my insurer after I had my first and they paid quite a lot for my stay in a private hospital. I remember thinking there was no way we'd have been able to afford it!

I have had 2 private births and had good experiences both times. For me, having an OB that I chose all the way through my pregnancy and for the delivery was well worth it. I was in great hands and when things started going pear-shaped with DD I was very glad he was there.

Our local private hospital is really nice and only 5 mins from home whereas our local public is further away and not the greatest (although it has improved a lot apparently). I really enjoyed the longer stay, the classes they run and the well-baby nursery for help with breastfeeding were all great. Loads of help and support, you can call the midwives after you go home and they also run a drop-in clinic for feeding problems.

Ultimately it comes down to what's available to you in your area and what you're comfortable with. Do your research on your local options then make your decision.

Good luck TTC! I hope it happens quickly for you when you do decide to start trying!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I walked away about $5-6k out of pocket to have DD privately.
    For me to get a scan every time i went to the OBs was so reassuring for me after a scary start to the pregnancy the $5-6k was money well spent.
    We went to a private hospital out of area.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Don't forget other options like private midwives, birth centres etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have had csections with both and I was a high risk patient. I much preferred my public hospital experience.