+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Public vs Private hospitals

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site.

My husband and I (married in August) are dying to start a family!!
    We signed up to Medibank Private in September and were thinking of waiting until early January to try for a baby but we can't wait!

My questions are...
    1. Is it really so bad to go public?
    2. How much out of pocket will we be if we have to pay for private care?
    3. What happens if we don't want our baby born in the area we live in? We want him/her to be born about an hour away (on the Sunshine Coast)

I don't know if our private hospital even has a maternity unit and our public hospital is appalling.

Thank you in advance!

Thanks
    Reviews
    What is your local public hospital redcliffe or royal brisbane women's?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For us, DS was supposed to be private but was an unexpected preemie so ended up in public hospital with private ob and paed. It was horrible, absolutely a waste of money for us. Even though our phi is quite generous with rebates, we walked away $6000 out of pocket.

DD was a public birth and although the continuity of care isn't as good, the birth itself was far better and the midwives more than lovely as opposed to our private ob who complained about DSs time of birth and that he was missing a football event. 😫

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I was very happy with public

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Yes there are differences in public v private, the main one being the cost! Public isn't horrible though. Depending on where you deliver will depend on what your options are. Your care options could include the following:

Midwifery group practice: you have a known midwife who you see for all of your antenatal care. Your midwife is with you during labour and then follows up with visits at home postnatally, usually up to 4-6 weeks. The midwives usually work in a team, so if it's not your midwife at the delivery, it will be one of the midwives in her (or his) team. Continuity of care is their main focus.

Midwifery care through the hospital: you will be seen by midwives in the hospital antenatal clinic. You may see a variety of midwives for all your appointments. When you have your baby, you will be cared for by one of the birth suite midwives. You may have follow up home visits once you go home by one of the hospital midwives (if they have a home care service).

GP shared care: you can opt to see your GP for your antenatal care. You will still have to have a few appointments at the hospital, but the majority will be done by your GP. You will also be cared for by the birth suite staff in labour and you may also be entitled to home visits.

Public hospitals encourage early discharge home, and this is where the home care service comes into it. If you've got midwifery follow up after discharge, it's not as scary being sent home with a new baby! Especially if they're only 48hrs old! You also will only see a doctor in your labour/postnatally if there have been issues, or the pregnancy has had risk factors (diabetes, blood pressure etc). If everything has been straightforward for you and bubs, the midwives will provide all your cares and checks.

Private:
    You have your own obstetrician. You have about twice the amount of appointments as the public patients. You will be looked after by the birth suite midwives throughout your labour, but your obstetrician will be there for your delivery. Once baby is out and you've been stitched up (if you need it) the drs go home and you're in the care of midwives again. Your doctor will see you daily until you go home. As private patients tend to stay longer in hospital postnatally, you probably won't have any home visits (unless you organize them with a private midwife). You see your obstetrician again around 6 weeks for a check up.

Obviously you would have to look at your hospital to see what options for care you have. Publicly you can't choose your hospital. It depends on what your catchment area is. Privately, you can have your baby wherever you choose. Just keep in mind that if your hospital is an hour away like you suggested, you would have to be fairly proactive about getting to the hospital. An hour is a long time to be traveling in a car, especially in labour. You might want to ask your DH what he thinks about delivering a baby on the side of the road!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to M'LadyEm For This Useful Post:

mrsthomo  (23-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Agree

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by kw123 View Post
    Me too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have only ever had public hospital births, they were all fine. You don't get the same level of "personalised" care you would with your own ob (because you see a different doctor or midwife every appointment) but I never felt like I needed it because I had very straight forward pregnancies and births. I have had friends that have had babies in private hospitals, and all ranged from $3-$5k out of pocket. They liked having their own room and their own ob, but for me that wasn't worth $5k - but each to their own. I would make my decision based on the hospitals you have available. If you think the public hospital near you is total rubbish then maybe that would sway me to have a private hospital birth? I'm fortunate that where I live I have three choices of public hospital, so if one has a bad rep here are two more to pick from.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to GingerKat For This Useful Post:

mrsthomo  (23-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have only had private births - having said that the only public hospital where I was from was an absolute dive (my sisters birthed there - which i was lucky enough to witness - and they changed to private for subsequent births...)

Not sure what the QLD public system is like, but, for my situation, given this birth will be a planned c section (so I want my own room/privacy/dh to be able to stay, we have had cover forever etc) I am going private. I am about an hour from the sunshine coast private which is where I will birth #3 - the OB I see is great, couldn't ask for better.

Good luck with your decision

12. The Following User Says Thank You to KitiK For This Useful Post:

mrsthomo  (23-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have birthed public through the RBWH birth centre and I am having my second there in Jan. Can't fault the care I received in pregnancy, birth and after care.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to FuddyMum For This Useful Post:

mrsthomo  (23-10-2014)