+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    By 4months(ish) it takes two weeks consistent resettling, there will always be times when they do a short nap you have to accept that. There are two other great aspects of it, they learn shush pat is the cue for them to go back to sleep anyone can do it. If you're up a few times a night having a break from your baby in the day to get stuff done or have time to yourself is amazing. Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks. The more I read and the more I hear from other peoples experiences I'm starting to think it's likely to settle down at 4ish months mostly due to developmental changes (but obviously persistent effort to help the process along is worthwhile).

Poor DS is so tired he just fell asleep on my lap so I put him back to bed. He hadn't even been up for an hour. Oh well, just gotta keep at it I guess...

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's really hard, but I feel to give them the skills to sleep well is a great gift. It's so upsetting when they are tired and you just can't get them to sleep. With my second I also say "it's time for sleeping " he's certainly understood that for a long time (14mo now) . IMO those who say follow your baby's lead wrt sleep are wrong. Most babies do need to sleep as much as the books say.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Well I got a 1hr20min sleep out of him this afternoon after about an hour of resettling. He kept waking after 5 or 10 mins, I kept persisting as he was clearly tired and finally got him into a proper sleep. I had the LC/MCHN on the phone half way through it, she was encouraging me as i balled my eyes out down the phone line! She reassured me that at the end of the 4th month babies start having longer and deeper sleep cycles and this is when things should settle into a better pattern. Persisting with resettling should help that transition along. So I'll keep trying...

We still need to rule out any intolerances that might be upsetting him and also have his snorting/snoring assessed, so GP again tomorrow and ENT at the end of the month. I'm mentally tired and feeling quite fragile which isn't helping.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Saw the GP, stool sample showed some white cells present which could indicate some inflammation - further evidence that he might have an intolerance. So we're re-doing the stool sample in case it was a once-off result and we've been referred to the paed for review. Not sure if it has anything to do with his dodgy day sleep but it's worth following up.

So today has been slightly better. We had a nice lie-in this morning, BFing and dozing from 6am til 8:30am. He then had a 1 hour mid-morning nap and as wide awake and smiling so I didn't bother trying to resettle. He then we down for an early afternoon nap for an hour, looked tired still so I had a go at resettling. Lots of cuddles finally got him off to sleep after about 30mins, then I held him for 20mins to make sure he was properly asleep and then put him back down. I left him 20mins ago and he's stayed asleep so far.

1 hour is better than 40 minutes so that's a hint of improvement.

I have DD home with me tomorrow and we have a 3hr drive in the afternoon so I'm not expecting too much. Will keep up the resettling over the weekend and next week. Gotta keep trying...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

debsch  (06-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We went to sleep school at 4 months and were showed how to resettle. Basically we used repsonsive settling to put DD to sleep, and followed the same procedure for resettling. I would say within 2 weeks we had improvement, and within a month it was unusual for her to catnap. We have had to revisit it from time to time during regressions or transition times (eg 2-1 naps)
    It did work for us but I also put a time limit on it, if resettling hadn't worked within 20 mins I would get her up and just put her down again when she next showed tired signs.
    i think it is also party developmental too though, some babies are just more ready to do it at different ages. DD seems to have quite a high need for sleep, my nephew who seems to need to sleep less didn't do long naps until he transitioned to one day nap and now does 2 hrs plus.
    I hope my answer isnt too rambling, good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm open to going back to Tresillian if it hasn't settled by 4-5 months old. I'm conscious that this needs to work at home though, not just at sleep school when I have all the time and support to do it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So happy today - DS and I lay in bed from 7am to 9am with him on and off the breast while dozing then he was so happy when we got up. He then went back to bed at 10:30, settled in his cot and slept for 2 hours!!! No resettle needed! Back down at 1:50pm and slept for another 1hr 40min!

The only thing I'm doing differently is swaddling tightly in a cot sheet instead of putting him down in a Love to Dream swaddle. I hope he keeps this up!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

HeavenBlue  (10-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Happy you've found something that is working! Fingers crossed the progress continues and you can all get some rest!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    So happy today - DS and I lay in bed from 7am to 9am with him on and off the breast while dozing then he was so happy when we got up. He then went back to bed at 10:30, settled in his cot and slept for 2 hours!!! No resettle needed! Back down at 1:50pm and slept for another 1hr 40min!

The only thing I'm doing differently is swaddling tightly in a cot sheet instead of putting him down in a Love to Dream swaddle. I hope he keeps this up!
    Sounds like you both had a great day! I have had trouble with my DS2 and the love to dream swaddle too, it just seems like too much movement allowed for his arms and he can't settle. I've had him in a swaddle pod, but it only comes in newborn size and is getting very tight, so I've bought an ergo cocoon which is a similar style. I've spent a small fortune on swaddles in the last few weeks, but anything to prevent the catnapping!
    I'm going to start DS2 on a save our sleep routine from tomorrow, I've never used them before but as he already goes 3-4hrs between feeds it shouldn't be too hard. Tizzy says they start catnapping when they reach 6kg
    And DS2 is about 5.5kg so I'm thinking it is coming soon, and hopefully if he is self settling (need to work on that too) and settled into a routine we may be able to avoid too much catnapping!