+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is a record breaking nap for him. He didn't sleep this long even when he was fresh!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Subbing because I'm in the same boat and need some resettling inspiration The longest she ever sleeps during the day is one hour, and some smaller cat naps of 20-30 minutes. I feel like I don't want to go anywhere any more, eeeek

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    So I'm trying a new approach - I've just come into DSs room, he's been asleep for 40mins so is due to wake any minute now and I'm going to try to resettle before he actually wakes. As soon as he stirs I'll try patting him back into sleep. Fingers crossed!

He looks pretty out of it though, what's the bet this will be the time he sleeps longer!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    So I'm trying a new approach - I've just come into DSs room, he's been asleep for 40mins so is due to wake any minute now and I'm going to try to resettle before he actually wakes. As soon as he stirs I'll try patting him back into sleep. Fingers crossed!

He looks pretty out of it though, what's the bet this will be the time he sleeps longer!
    How did you go?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Fail! He woke up as expected but I couldn't get him back to sleep. Gave up after 20mins. So frustrating!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    Fail! He woke up as expected but I couldn't get him back to sleep. Gave up after 20mins. So frustrating!
    I was taught to keep trying for up to half an hour. But I have to admit, that's pretty tough going. There's always next nap!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    @Cue have you read about "wake to sleep method"? Where you gently rouse them around the 35 min mark to send them into another sleep cycle. It worked once or twice dfor my DD. Then I had to get rid of the dummy for her to break catnapping permanently.
    With ds he was able to keep his dummy but he needed tight wrapping, like a newborn with arms down, until he was 7 months old! Another friend had success when she switched to Love me Baby swaddles. Also make sure your Bub is well fed before naps and try a fan for white noise. And have you tried letting him grizzle for a couple of minutes to see if he will re-settle himself? It's trial and error, you will get there!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Redcorset For This Useful Post:

debsch  (04-11-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had success with both of mine, resettling after the 45min mark. It was hard work , took up to 45mins at times to get them back to sleep, in the early days. It didn't involve leaving them to cry, just the shush pat method. You have to persevere but the rewards are worth it. Both are/were excellent daytime sleepers

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Redcorset View Post
    @Cue have you read about "wake to sleep method"? Where you gently rouse them around the 35 min mark to send them into another sleep cycle. It worked once or twice dfor my DD. Then I had to get rid of the dummy for her to break catnapping permanently.
    With ds he was able to keep his dummy but he needed tight wrapping, like a newborn with arms down, until he was 7 months old! Another friend had success when she switched to Love me Baby swaddles. Also make sure your Bub is well fed before naps and try a fan for white noise. And have you tried letting him grizzle for a couple of minutes to see if he will re-settle himself? It's trial and error, you will get there!
    I use Love to Dream wraps, he has a dummy and I play white noise in his room (mostly to drown out the noise from his big sister). I also do feed-play-feed-sleep as his weight gain has been a bit low. I'm trying to offer a 30-40ml EBM comp as well but he's refusing the bottle so far. I tried swaddling tightly in a cot sheet but he wriggles his arms out.

On Sunday he did resettle himself, I heard him cry out once then it was quiet and he slept for ages. I know he can do it, he just seems to really struggle with it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SWandSH View Post
    I had success with both of mine, resettling after the 45min mark. It was hard work , took up to 45mins at times to get them back to sleep, in the early days. It didn't involve leaving them to cry, just the shush pat method. You have to persevere but the rewards are worth it. Both are/were excellent daytime sleepers
    What age did they start sleeping past 40min on their own, without having to resettle?