+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Not really much help unfortunately bc he just slept. But I got bored holding him too long so if he fell asleep I put him in bed. Or I would swaddle him & put him in his bassinet if it seemed an appropriate time and see what happened. Or he would already be in his bouncer, I'd miss the tired signs and he'd grizzle and pass out and have a good sleep anyway bc he was already laying back & swaddled.

Lots of coffee shops & IGA within walking distance so heaps of sleeps in the pram, I'd just bring everything he needed (me, nappies) and he'd sleep there too.

Eventually I developed a routine. Either bassinet or pram for a walk/whatever during the times I wanted him to sleep. If at home would pat/sing/just sit next to him where he could see me for up to half an hour, if he slept, great, if he didn't I didn't force it any longer than that. Got suggested sleep length times from save our sleep. And I would wake him to feed to make him stick to the routine if I had to, to avoid the whole day being thrown all out, I didn't want night time to get unpredictable.

We borrowed a swing. He slept a lot in that too.

Hopefully you've got a 'motion' baby then the tactics could help...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    DS was so bad at his day sleeping (catnapping and having to be held for all of his naps) that by 15 weeks we were in sleep school implementing routines and practicing shooshing and patting. He responded quite well as id never gotten him to sleep outside of my arms before. I continued to be rigid with my sleep time ritual so that he always knew when it was time for sleep. He continued to wake at 40 minutes but more often then not, I resettled him.
    We continued with shoosh and pat for a couple of months but then one day he started to make noises like I was annoying him. I genuinely got the 'shut up mum' vibe. So I stopped shooshing and patting and just sat by his bassinet. After a few minutes he fell asleep!
    Over the course of a few weeks he started putting himself to slept more and more often. Sometimes I still had to settle him as he was too agitated etc but that led to him now self settling 100% if the time now at 6 months! 3 months from nightmare to self settling. He still occasionally wakes after 40 minutes and sometimes he doesn't go back to sleep. That ok, we get up and try again next nap.

Most of the time he sleeps 1.5 hours without a peep and occasionally 2 hours or more! They eventually starting sleeping more appropriately. Good luck!

I just make sure he is put to sleep during their 'sleepy window of opportunity' and always do the same things leading up to bedtime. It's worked well for the most part.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to HeavenBlue For This Useful Post:

LittleBug'sMum  (31-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Thanks for sharing! It gives me hope when I see that other people have conquered it. Sounds like your hard work was worth it, well done.

I've also read a few things today that suggest it's developmental and that they start sleeping longer on their own, once they get a little older. I'm hoping that as he gets older and starts consolidating his naps they'll get longer.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

HeavenBlue  (31-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Yes I do believe its developmental but I like to help the process along with all the sleepy cues I can!

I would also like to add that he is now almost 6 months and has just slept through the night for the last 3 nights. They do get better....

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have been following this Cue, as my first 2 children were catnappers (you would think I wouldn't make the same mistakes twice), and they didn't really grow out of it, rather we had to do CC when they were older (which I wouldn't wish on anyone). This time around I am going to try much harder with the resettling, and just wanted to say that it sounds like you have the right approach and to encourage you to keep going!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can you use a swing for a sleep?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I haven't read all the comments (will do later) but you say your bub is 12 weeks, so almost 3 months right?

Our bub is about the same age and I noticed her sleep patterns changing (along with her poops strangely) a couple weeks ago and looked up sleep regressions...

http://childsleepscience.wordpress.c...done-about-it/
    "The Four Month Sleep Regression: What is it and What can be Done About it?
    ...the changes in sleep that occur between 3-4 months aren’t really a regression at all; they result from a permanent change in sleep architecture."

...very interesting... I didn't know this about my 1st and he turned into a terrible 20-minute cat-napper... I couldn't resettle him. With this bub, it's early days still, but I don't try to resettle except look at the clock when she wakes and give her a couple minutes and wait and listen to see if her cry is a tired-want-more-sleep cry or a hungry-feed-me-now cry.

Your bub is just 3 months so the good news is you still have time to do something about it!
    Last edited by debsch; 31-10-2014 at 10:58.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to debsch For This Useful Post:

Cue  (31-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleBug'sMum View Post
    I have been following this Cue, as my first 2 children were catnappers (you would think I wouldn't make the same mistakes twice), and they didn't really grow out of it, rather we had to do CC when they were older (which I wouldn't wish on anyone). This time around I am going to try much harder with the resettling, and just wanted to say that it sounds like you have the right approach and to encourage you to keep going!
    Thanks for the encouragement! I'm still persisting (just managed to resettle him about 20mins ago) but also reminding myself that he's still so little and will probably sort it all out himself in time. I'm just trying to help that process along by supporting him through it. Hopefully it works!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by maternidade View Post
    Can you use a swing for a sleep?
    I did just that for his late afternoon sleep yesterday because I was trying to get dinner ready while wrangling a cranky toddler and DH was running late from work. He slept for maybe 20-30mins but at least it was something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    DS is still doing this 30 minute nap business. went down for his morning nap - 31 minutes. It took me 15 minutes but I actually resettled him!!!!!
    He resettled himself for the first time ever the other weekend, but hasn't do e it again since, and I've never been able to resettle myself until today. BAM.......although he was only down for 10 minutes. I'm still counting it as a success!
    I got him up and he fed for 15 mins and fell asleep on me. I ended up getting up 20 mins later and put him on my bed on his tummy so he wouldn't startle himself awake and freak out while I was gone as I was busting to go to the toilet. Somehow I fluked it and he slept for 2 and a quarter hours!!!!!!! I was super paranoid and sat next to him the whole time to make sure he was breathing though. If only he went down on his back like that!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to #Mama For This Useful Post:

Cue  (31-10-2014)