+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I haven't read through all of the replies but I just want to say that I think that breasts are so "front and centre" that we can dress around and disguise a lot of body issues but that one is hard to hide. Should we all just learn to love ourselves? Probably. But that is easier said then done when there is so much negative feedback about bodies it really can undermine your best efforts to love yourself.

Also, when we look at strangers on the beach, just seeing fake boobs on the beach doesn't tell the full story. I know someone with "I survived breast cancer so I got these great new boobs" breasts, I also know someone who wants to get implants because she had a double mastectomy due to the breast cancer gene and due to complications was not able to have the reconstruction so she now lives with no breasts. I can't imagine what that would do to a young woman.

I think I used to be scornful of women when I saw them with falsies, but who are we to judge? I colour my hair, diet and wear makeup. You could say any of those things have the same effect as fake boobs on teaching our children about the natural process of ageing and body image.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

Anjalee  (24-10-2014),olismumma  (22-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpybump View Post
    Where are all these boob jobs? I don't know anyone with a boob job...I think?

If they're not size double H gazoombas how can you tell?

Sent from my SM-G900I using The Bub Hub mobile app
    They are round at the top and a size D and over stay high and perky braless.
    A few of my friends have them

Thanks
    Reviews
    Whilst I agree with your concerns about how our kids will grow up to regard beauty, there's so much more to it than plastic surgery. SO many things contribute to a warped view of what is a "normal" body. How about women wearing make-up? Almost ubiquitous. Those who choose to/are comfortable wearing bikinis or other revealing attire... generally those who adhere somewhat to the ideal of what's attractive. Even what teenagers will generally see of labia... "neat". Partially because it's illegal to show anything else in Australian soft-core, and partially because it's fashionable in main****** p*rn. It's not just women either, though they certainly get it more.

Whilst yes, I think all of that and much more is concerning... I don't begrudge any individual the right to do what they choose with their body. Nor do I think that individuals should be in any way blamed for the effects of those choices on public imaginings of beauty. Like anyone else, people who get breast implants purely for the way they look are responding to the social meaning attached to particular portrayals of themselves. If that is how they would prefer to look, then good for them! Whilst it'd be wonderful if everyone could feel entirely comfortable with themselves, and not feel the need to conform to any societal expectations, for most that will never be the case.

So some ideals may become stronger (perhaps the 'need' to have a specific body shape?), but then others lessen. Thankfully our kids will grow up with less of an expectation that they follow traditional gender roles. Any son of ours who grows up to be a gay hairdresser, or daughter who doesn't care how she looks and doesn't want children, will hopefully feel the sting of being "less of a man" or "less of a woman" to a smaller extent than what our parents, or grandparents would have.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

beebs  (24-10-2014)

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have big boobs, and a lot of weight to lose. Thing is they've always been big, even before I was. So when this weight goes, if they are still big, I will get rid of them and just have a smaller size.

I want to go back to fitting a C and not having G/H size...

Back pain, neck pain which causes headaches, shirts way to big just to fit them, shirts being too short because of them. It's just a pain in the ar$3.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I'm getting implants in the next 6 months when we sell our house to buy one in the country (cheaper mortgage, money left over from sale). It's just a self confidence thing for me. After breastfeeding two kids my puppies are quite deflated. When I bend over without a bra on they're like two socks filled with sand and I can't wear a swimsuit without support, and as a keen swimmer since my childhood this really gets me down. I'd just like to replace the fullness that I lost and gain back a bit of confidence. I'm not interested in having massive ones, I'd like them to look as natural as possible.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hollywood For This Useful Post:

FartingRainbows  (24-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you to everyone who replied. You have all given me a lot to think about, and I feel better equipped to discuss this topic with my children (including my son) when they are older. Delirium and Albert01, I think you understand where I'm coming from the most.
    And just to finish off, yes I could extend it to make-up and going to the gym, but these are not permanent fixtures and exercise is good for your health. As for make-up, my oldest asked me one day why I wore make-up every day for and if I was honest my answer would have been 'because I hate the flaws in my skin, and in order to feel attractive I cover up.' I made a conscious decision to stop wearing make-up all the time from that day and it was soooooo hard to do (I do not have perfect skin at all...I have mild acne which I am only now able to keep on top of 3 weeks out of 4 ) and I was so uncomfortable leaving the house with no make-up but I forced myself to do it. Now I actually hate the feel of make-up so much that I don't even wear it to go out of a night any more. Having children, and being a role model to daughters has really made me stop and think about why I do things and who I'm doing it for.

Anyway, thanks everyone for replying to my musings and for keeping the conversation civil

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I get where you are coming from OP, I was just talking with my DH the other day about this, boob jobs seem to be so common now.

But it seems the norm that so many things are so hyper feminised (for want of a better description), fake nails, skimpy clothes, bald pudendas, spray tan and big perky breasts, it's so obvious what the standard of what defines attractiveness in our culture is at the moment.

My boobs are certainly not what they were, a golf ball in a sock would be a good description, but some money spent on really good bras and they look good in clothes, and DH, bless him, views them through rose coloured glasses and is just as enamored with them after 3 years of breastfeeding as he was 10 years ago.
    Last edited by NoteToSelf; 24-10-2014 at 14:16.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoteToSelf For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (24-10-2014),Full House  (24-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by monkey&&me View Post
    I have every intention of getting a nice set of boobs once I'm done having kids!

What I've got after breastfeeding is dismal! Saggy and small, I don't feel attractive with them the way they are. So I'll treat myself when we're over the baby years!
    Couldn't have said it better myself I always said id never get fake boobs but after how drastically they changed when my son was born I have definately changed my mind!

mother to a beautiful baby boy

Thanks
    Reviews
    And I will just add, pre baby I was a 14 DD - E. I am now an 18 E. Once I lose the baby weight if they don't look any good I will definately get it done in the future.

mother to a beautiful baby boy

Thanks
    Reviews
    I haven't read all the replies, but I am going in for new boobs on the 12th January. Why? I am completely happy with my body except for my (not even an a cup boobs). I have breast fed 2 kids and i won't be having any more children so now is a good time to do it. I have wanted it since high school.
    Will it hurt anyone? Well if we go down the road of setting the example for young girls maybe we should stop dying our hair or whitening our teeth or putting on makeup, just keep everything natural. I don't see how a young girl seeing a woman confident and happy with her body could be damaging even if she needed surgery to help her. I really think is your body, your choice.
    I think it is more damaging for young girls to see women smoking, drinking to excess, being unhealthy than it is for a girl to see a woman with fake boobs.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ashfirst For This Useful Post:

gamermummy  (24-10-2014),olismumma  (24-10-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (24-10-2014),Sethysmum  (24-10-2014)