+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't think anyone is saying people should or shouldn't do certain things - more lets talk about why we want to do said things. I shave my pits and my legs and wear make up all the time, I colour my hair and wear jewellery etc. Do I think that the reasons I do these things are because I have been socially condition to think that these are the things women need to do to be attractive? Heck yes! Am I going to stop doing them because I know that I have been socially conditioned to think that way? Heck no.

I don't think there is any problem in exploring issues and asking questions.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

Full House  (25-10-2014),VicPark  (25-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    And that's why I love visiting third world countries. People are too busy concentrating on how to make a living and spending time with their family to worry about what they look like. They accept you for who you are. It's so liberating.

Maybe we should learn from them

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

beebs  (25-10-2014),Explora  (25-10-2014),MsViking  (25-10-2014),sky1  (25-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post
    I don't think anyone is saying people should or shouldn't do certain things - more lets talk about why we want to do said things. I shave my pits and my legs and wear make up all the time, I colour my hair and wear jewellery etc. Do I think that the reasons I do these things are because I have been socially condition to think that these are the things women need to do to be attractive? Heck yes! Am I going to stop doing them because I know that I have been socially conditioned to think that way? Heck no.

I agree with you and know this isn't something you're saying but, while we're on the topic of shaving and social conditioning, I hate when people say that women only shave for social reasons.
    I shave purely for hygiene and comfort.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I live in quite a cold climate, often the women around here go the whole of winter without shaving their legs (me included), it just ins't worth it, you never show your legs it's too cold and it's almost like a warm winter layer (hehe). I'm back to every second day now the weather has warmed up though. Comfort wise, I don't find it comfortable myself, my arm pits always get itchy and little bumps etc (urgh!). But I like the look of it better...but why do I like the look? It's a fascinating subject right!! I love thinking about stuff like this - this is why I'm studying sociology at uni. I just love it!

Quote Originally Posted by redlipsandpearls View Post
    I agree with you and know this isn't something you're saying but, while we're on the topic of shaving and social conditioning, I hate when people say that women only shave for social reasons.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Theboys&me View Post
    I dunno hey - I want to get a tummy tuck for me. My kids never need to know about it. I want it because I feel gross. Im the first to admit I have a low self esteem.

But then - I also want to exercise, wear make up, drink wine, read a book, wax my muff, shave my legs, wash my hair, surf BH, wear perfume daily... All for me. It's not to give an impression on youngsters or buck to society's pressures. It's really just because I'm quite selfish and that's what I want.
    Gawd. If wanting to do those things makes one selfish then I'm a self-involved cow! ;-)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MsViking For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (23-07-2015)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

PS - I have just started getting a few grey hairs, and it is stressing me out. I just would love to age naturally and just embrace the ageing...but I don't think I can.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    It's funny... Just the other day I was shaving my legs in the shower and I thought "why the heck am I doing this". I didn't know what to say to myself...

11. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

beebs  (25-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    It's funny... Just the other day I was shaving my legs in the shower and I thought "why the heck am I doing this". I didn't know what to say to myself...
    I was at a local market recently (in a town known for it's "hippy" folk) and saw plenty of young and middle aged women wearing shorts or knee length dresses with very hairy legs. For someone like myself who loves my monthly all over wax, I found it absolutely fascinating and wished I could be brave enough to do it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HopefulK View Post
    I was at a local market recently (in a town known for it's "hippy" folk) and saw plenty of young and middle aged women wearing shorts or knee length dresses with very hairy legs. For someone like myself who loves my monthly all over wax, I found it absolutely fascinating and wished I could be brave enough to do it!
    Byron bay?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beebs View Post

This. Exactly this. Thank you! I do take pride in my appearance, I don't wear make-up but I do style and colour my hair, despite not really being able to afford to have it coloured, I shave my legs and armpits daily (yes daily...I much prefer smooth skin to hairy skin. If DH would get on board I'd have him shave his legs too) and I wear clothes that I believe are flattering on me. Not because I necessarily want the attention of others, but it is definitely because society says 'this is beautiful' and society has made me think that way.
    I also think that a desire to feel attractive is biologically normal...humans probably wouldn't continue to populate the earth if there was no attraction...however, I just wonder how far is too far? With plastic surgery becoming the 'norm' for whatever reason the individual has decided then are we at risk of setting future generations up with a false perception of what is attractive and making out of reach for the average human being without them needing to fork out the money to go under the knife.
    I know a 20 year old who gets botox because when she frowns she has lines on her forehead and she 100% believes that it makes her look 'old' so she has her forehead injected with botox so she can still look youthful. She's 20 FFS. She couldn't look old if she tried! This is what I'm talking about...a young girl won't know that she's looking at fake boobs...but she's growing up seeing big breasted women down the beach in their bikini's and they're perfectly rounded perky boobs...she will expect that this is what 'real boobs' are like, and once she hits puberty if her breasts aren't perfectly round and perky and fall out of a skimpy bikini top when she runs there is the potential that she will wonder why her boobs are different, and there is the potential that she will feel like her boobs are unattractive and need to be 'fixed.'

And you know, people can say that what they are doing has no impact on how their children see themselves, but coming from someone who was told all the time how beautiful I was, my mother's feelings about her own body has had an affect on me. My mum doesn't like her legs, never has. She makes sure she wears things below her knees and has told me my whole life how lucky I am to not have her legs, and to have long beautiful legs (her words). If someone asks me what part of my body I like the least it's my legs...even though I have long, toned, cellulite free legs I am self conscious about my legs. There's no way that my mother's thoughts of her own legs haven't had any impact on me, despite being told that I have nice legs all my life.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

beebs  (25-10-2014)