+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    We are planning in taking our eldest out of school for about 3 weeks to go 4x4ing and camping up through the Cape and everywhere in between The kids will be learning new things from the Aboriginal locals in their communities etc as we pass through. Can't wait!
    Everyone's different

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post
    Can anyone tell me if teachers/schools are anti this? Or is it just something you should mention to the teacher (ie you don't need to seek permission)
    Always good to let the teacher know. At DS's school one needs to also ask permission from the principal (thank you for reminding me - I just went off and printed off a note!). If you want to take work away with you then it necessary to give the teacher a few days' notice so that they can look ahead in their program and see what is coming up. If you let them know the day/afternoon before you go and expect to be handed everything on the spot then that is a bit much as they also have duties and other activities to organise during the day. The only time I would get peeved as a teacher would be if their child was already behind and they complained about their child being behind as they took them out of school a lot or had a mammoth amount of sick days - which sometimes can't be helped, but must be considered. I never had this happen though.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Ted For This Useful Post:

Lilahh  (22-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I know the school that my eldes will start prep at next year is very anti it. We got a big leaflet about it in our enrolment pack

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    ah ok fair enough, that makes sense. We're not big holiday people really, so I wouldn't know. We definitely will still stick to school holidays and public holidays though. We're more likely to do camping or something cheap as we can't afford fancy accomodation at any time of the year, hehe
    Yeah, we do camp The price can be 2-3 times as much for a site. It's awful! There's a popular tourist spot close enough to us that we'd like to stay there...but you must book a site for a week and the price for that week is $1 000. Just for a piece of grass with a concrete slab on it! It's a joke. They aren't even fancy caravan parks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    We haven't done it yet - TBH I find having a holiday during school holidays makes the time go more quickly. Too much time at home and my kids start going spare so having a week away during the break helps us all to recharge.

Our school is against taking kids out of school during term and if kids miss a certain number of days the principal will write to the parents (even if the school knew and school work was taken with the kids).

DH has a sabbatical in a few years and we'll take the kids overseas for 3 months so will no doubt be taking loads of work with us as the 4 kids will all be missing school.

I don't really give a toss what other families do. It just works for us not to be missing school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've done it and will do it in the future...
    It's cheaper to go away out of school holiday times hence the main reason also if you go out of school holiday time it's not so expensive ....
    It is also a educational life experience. .. well that's my excuse. ...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh wow, I never realised eve camping would cost more, you can see how often we go on holidays... haha. We've never gone camping and our only weekends away have been with family.
    As a kid we only ever had holidays in school holidays, but we also ownd a holiday home up the coast which is where we spent all our holiday time. Unfortunately we don't have that luxury these days! At this point in our lives we can't afford to holiday anyway, we can barely afford to buy groceries each week.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do have a question for those who holiday outside of school holiday time, how do you manage to get the leave from work? Like.. woudln't you need to take the school holidays as leave so someones at home with the kids? I've always wondered how I'm going to manage work when my kids are at school. I'll need to take all of their school holidays off, but I don't get that much leave per year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    I do have a question for those who holiday outside of school holiday time, how do you manage to get the leave from work? Like.. woudln't you need to take the school holidays as leave so someones at home with the kids? I've always wondered how I'm going to manage work when my kids are at school. I'll need to take all of their school holidays off, but I don't get that much leave per year.
    It's hard for some poeple to be able to get school holidays off so take leave when you can.

Most working parents use vacation care. It a extention of before/after school care

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (22-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is an issue yes. I know families who has one parent take two weeks off to be at home with the kids, the other parent takes two weeks off during the six week holiday over summer, then that leaves two weeks to holiday as a family during the school year. Aside from that they rely on vacation care, friends and family for the other school holidays.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

CazHazKidz  (22-10-2014)