+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    ah ok fair enough, that makes sense. We're not big holiday people really, so I wouldn't know. We definitely will still stick to school holidays and public holidays though. We're more likely to do camping or something cheap as we can't afford fancy accomodation at any time of the year, hehe

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Can anyone tell me if teachers/schools are anti this? Or is it just something you should mention to the teacher (ie you don't need to seek permission)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Party of Three View Post
    The problem it is it costs us up to three times as much for accommodation during school holidays. We would never holiday if we limited ourselves to school holidays. If there wasn't such a huge price difference we'd probably go away in January, but instead we go away Nov/Dec every year and save ourselves a bucket load. Every year when I've spoken to the teacher about us going we've been told the kids won't be missing anything because all official 'school work' is done by then.
    You are right, the price difference is huge. Not to mention everything being much more crowded.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it's okay occasionally. Holidays, particularly overseas, offer loads of opportunities for learning. Education doesn't only happen in the classroom.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to grumpybump For This Useful Post:

beebs  (22-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD1 just returned to school today after being on a holiday with XH for the last 10days.
    I asked her teacher if she wanted to send along some work and she said no way she'll be too busy having fun.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilahh View Post
    Can anyone tell me if teachers/schools are anti this? Or is it just something you should mention to the teacher (ie you don't need to seek permission)
    You don't need to seek permission but it's not really ideal. Depending on the age and whether the students are doing formal assessments yet, equity issues can come into play regarding assessment timing, but speaking as a teacher it can be a real PITA to have to 'give work' for the student to do - it basically suggests that parents think all we do is hand over worksheets or reading assignments. What about the discussions, the activities, the modelling of skills and strategies that happens in a classroom? It's very difficult to 'package' that ahead of time for kids to independently do while on holidays and with unknown conditions (will mum and dad help? Will they have access to the internet? Etc)

In a way it's easier to do that for high school kids than primary (I've taught both) but then with older kids the assessment stuff becomes more of an issue. However at the end of the day parents are allowed to take their kids out of school, assuming they're meeting minimum attendance levels.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BettyW For This Useful Post:

Lilahh  (22-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am looking to do this- take DS out of school. It'll be multiple weekends going away in the caravan. I get RDO's so it doesn't come out of my annual leave so hence the inticing quick weekend away. At this stage, I am looking to take him out of school 4 days over the next 1 month. 3 Fridays and 1 Monday. I have done it twice this year for 1 day each time. We'll still be going away over the December/January school holiday period as well.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SimplyMum View Post
    What is your opinion and why, for parents taking kids out of school for weekends away/holidays? What if they take required work/homework with them? Encourage personal reading etc etc. How often is too often?
    I don't think it's a big deal-
    Why? I think education is very important but so is experiencing life and spending quality time with family.
    Some Reasons why we would do it when kids are older:
    - cheaper
    - less crowds
    - getting time off work
    - so we can go longer period
    - weather wise ( northern hemisphere v south)

Re work, I think if they have workbooks then they should come and the teacher say with the next few weeks we will be up to page xyz.
    I think the students should also be encouraged to do a report on their trip and be encouraged to incidentally learn ie were going to cairns at the end of the year so learning about marine life, rainforest and crocodiles

Thanks
    Reviews
    If we were to take the kids out for an extended period of time, ie. a term, we'd take a little extra work with us, but for a week or two if the child is going fine at school and gets some quality family time then we see no issue with it. We'd also not get to holiday if we waited for public school holidays to begin as our accommodation also triples...and it's nothing fancy! It's our only week away as a family through the year.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by CazHazKidz View Post
    ah ok fair enough, that makes sense. We're not big holiday people really, so I wouldn't know. We definitely will still stick to school holidays and public holidays though. We're more likely to do camping or something cheap as we can't afford fancy accomodation at any time of the year, hehe
    Where we go on holidays it is cheaper to rent a house than camp - seriously!