+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 3 year old boy obsessed with his bits

Just dropped my son off at Kindy and the teacher pulled me aside and said that he has been pulling his pants down and showing kids and teachers his penis and talking about it all day and on a few occasions jumping on other kids with his pants down!?

I'm absolutely mortified! The teacher has made me feel like we're some sort of deviate family encouraging this behaviour and that my son is doing this due to some sexualised content he's viewed or been exposed to!

He's 3, of course he a. Wouldn't have the cognitive ability to understand anything on a sexualised level and b. He's never 'walked in' or seen anything of that nature.

He has a bath with his sister every night and they know to clean themselves and that its a private thing but of course it's a contrast to what the other one has so it's always a topic of bath time conversation about doodles and 'wee wee's'

is anyone else's boy doodle obsessed and a flasher and sharer?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Up until kinder DS was very similar "DS get your hands out of your pants!", DP just dismissed it as a boy thing.

It could be just an exploratory thing but it could be that he's getting attention for it. DS did a lot of odd things in daycare simply for attention in a larger group.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My eldest is not a flasher but he does spend a lot of time with his hands down his pants. He gets a gentle reminder that if he wants to play with his willy he needs to go to his bedroom. He has been known to do that which I find weird in a 4 year old.

Is it possible for kinder to ask him to stop or he has to sit in time out. Get them to remind him that penises are private and you shouldn't show other people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Teacher needs remedial lessons in child development. This is a normal, healthy phase that can be controlled through boundary teaching with your child.

There is nothing deviant about this and I am sorry you came into contact with someone so ignorant.

Perhaps take bath time to show him how to cover his private parts and emphasise the need to keep them covered in public but that it's okay to uncover them in appropriate situations such as toileting and bath time? This is what we did with our son who thought pulling his pants down, grabbing his genitals and swinging his hips while going "Bom! Bom! Bom!" was funny. (I nearly died. I thought he'd been watching late night SBS while I was sleeping...lol).

He now understands "private time". Thank god.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Ds was playing with his p*nis in one of his ultra sounds so it starts early. It sounds like your ds is doing normal age appropriate behaviours though you might like to talk to him about jumping on other kids. I'm not sure I would want a random p*nis flying towards me. Lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Something else came to mind so I've come back to share it.

It is interesting to note that when I was at a get together a little while back, there was a slippery slide and all the kids were naked running up and down it. The sun was shining, it was warm and it was a glorious sight to see everyone totally absorbed in the moment.

These kids were playing and ecstatic...no doubt from the feeling of water on skin and just being totally natural.

I noticed that the only person present who had a problem with it was a childcare worker.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Tickle View Post
    Something else came to mind so I've come back to share it.

It is interesting to note that when I was at a get together a little while back, there was a slippery slide and all the kids were naked running up and down it. The sun was shining, it was warm and it was a glorious sight to see everyone totally absorbed in the moment.

These kids were playing and ecstatic...no doubt from the feeling of water on skin and just being totally natural.

I noticed that the only person present who had a problem with it was a childcare worker.
    Maybe she felt uneasy because other parents would complain or could be some parent would think they were perverts?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    My DD is a girl obviously but she is obsessed with her and everyone else's "boobies" and "roobies"(rudey boobies). She is always playing, twisting and pulling hers and trying to play with other people's. She is 3 also. Just this morning she was in tears because her dad wouldn't let her play with his!

I think it's normal. Maybe just encourage private time and explain other people don't really want to see it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think its normal.. While ds hasnt done it at daycare to my knowledge he has at home before a shower come and wiped his willy on me and thought it was so funny! I hate when daycare staff make u feel crappy.. Happens to me too sometimes

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's completely normal and I'd be worried if he was 18 but he is 3. My ds 5 sits watching tv with a handful everyday. We have had a talk about private time and going to your bedroom. It saddens me the teacher made you feel this way.