+ Reply to Thread
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default RE Leasing dept sent communal email to rental list of emails.. breach of privacy?

We are currently renting through a real estate agent. The other week we received an email about an opportunity of leasing to own, for which we are not interested. However, the email included the names and email addresses of everyone on their rental list.

About a week later, we received an email from a third party systems organisation that apologised for the error- not from the real estate agent.

Am I wrong for being angry that a) yes the email was wrong and inappropriate but b)they had a third party send us an apology which in itself breaches our privacy. I understand when we sign an application that we allow for accessing and gaining information about us, but not for the agent to disclose private information to a third party systems management organisation.

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    It sounds to me like the third party is the operator of the real estates contact relationship management software, which alot of the time is a cloud based program these days.

While the agent would have instigated the original email, it's possible they didn't know of the issue (and possibly still don't) of all emails being displayed hence the apology came from the third party.

However all of that doesn't excuse the error itself and I would be asking the third party for an explanation and reassurance that they are putting procedures in place so that it doesn't happen again.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Donnab739 For This Useful Post:

Nomia  (22-10-2014)