+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Pumping while at a function

Hi,

I have an event coming up that means I will be away from bub for 3 feeds. I have stock piled expressed milk for Grandma to give her and will be taking a pump with me to the event.

What I am not sure about is how much milk to pump at the event and when to do it. As I won't have any way of storing the milk I will be "dumping" it.

So, do I have to pump until both breasts are empty or just enough to reduce fullness? And do I have to pump when I usually would feed, or just when I start to get uncomfortable? If baby will be getting 3 bottles, can I just pump twice or do I need to match what bub usually gets. I am so confused!!!

If it makes it easier, bub usually feeds at 2pm, 5pm and 7pm and midnight. I am traveling in a cab 1.30-2.30, busy 2.30-4, free 4-6, dinner etc 6 onwards and I am planning on being home in time to do that last feed.

Can someone help me work out how to do this??

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    How old is bub? If bub is on solids it's a whole different ball game.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Could you feed bub or express before you leave?

Then express at 4pm and again at 7pm.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would pump at home before you get in the cab, at about 5pm when DD usually has a feed and then once for comfort between 6pm and when you get home.

In terms of how much, it depends on whether you're building supply, have a steady supply, how old bub is etc.

If you're not in the "building" phase anymore I'd try to pump to drain before you leave, again at 5pm (since you seem to have a couple of hours free) and then maybe just for comfort in the evening.

I remember going to my 6 week check at my OB's rooms and him being delayed, I thought I'd get back to the NICU in time to express but I ended up being a few hours, and I had a massive painful blockage the next day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would feed or pump before leaving then just for comfort while out. Seems a waste to pump and dump a whole feed unless you have supply issues and need to keep up a regular schedule. If your bub slept right through the night you'd go 8-10hrs without feeding so just treat it like that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    @VicPark Bub will have just turned 6 mths and she just started a few spoons of puréed fruit at lunchtime. Function is in 10 days so she might be having a second meal of solids by then (that is a whole other thread that I also need help on!! 😊)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump?

Thanks
    Reviews
    If you are definitely only pumping to dump I'd just pump enough to give you relief.

My kids were feeding 8-12 times in 24hrs at that age so I always pumped to keep milk aside.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I went to a wedding when my son was 7 months and I took along a hand pump. In between the ceremony and the reception I pumped enough so I wasn't engorged and threw it in the toilet. I then pumped a little when I got home and dumped that too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I work evening shifts I just feed before I leave do my 7 hr shift and then wake dd when I get home at 11pm and feed her. I don't take a pump just hand express to relieve. Started back evening/night shifts when she was 7 months old and did fine. The more you think of them the fuller you get I found so keep busy!