+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default If qualification is in another name can i apply for government subsidy

I have a diploma which is in my maiden name and is 14 years old. Could i still apply for government subsidised courses

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I would imagine so. I did a TAFE course a couple of years ago and was told i couldn't apply for credit/RPL with qualifications that were 10 years old because by that stage they were too old.

Worth checking with the TAFE/course provider though to be sure.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    I would imagine so. I did a TAFE course a couple of years ago and was told i couldn't apply for credit/RPL with qualifications that were 10 years old because by that stage they were too old.

Worth checking with the TAFE/course provider though to be sure.
    Thats so odd cause i just the other week got confirmation of getting credits for 5 units in a course i enrolled in through OTEN for a course i completed in 1999 at tafe

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by RmumR View Post
    Thats so odd cause i just the other week got confirmation of getting credits for 5 units in a course i enrolled in through OTEN for a course i completed in 1999 at tafe
    Omg really? I was knocked back in 2012 for course done in 2002. They said once a qualification reached 10 years, they wouldn't even look at it. Well that kind of sucks. .

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by cakester69 View Post
    I have a diploma which is in my maiden name and is 14 years old. Could i still apply for government subsidised courses
    Which state are you in?

I imagine it's different in each state, but I know in Victoria one of the requirements for government subsidised places is that you need to be 'upskilling'. For example, you can't hold a diploma and apply for a subsidised place in a certificate III course, regardless of how long ago it was completed.

In my situation, I don't qualify for government subsidised tafe places because I've completed a degree (someone from Tafe Victoria confirmed this, and said that it doesn't matter when the previous course was completed).

However, I'm not sure how they check, or if they just ask you to disclose any previous courses when you apply?

If someone has paid for their previous course outright (ie. didn't accumulate a VET-HELP debt that required them to submit their tax file number) and have since changed their name and address, then I'm not sure whether it would show in the system, so perhaps they ask on the application form?

What level qualification are you looking at studying OP?

Omg really? I was knocked back in 2012 for course done in 2002. They said once a qualification reached 10 years, they wouldn't even look at it. Well that kind of sucks. .
    Same! I got a couple of units on my RPL application rejected for being over 5 years (at Uni) and a couple rejected by Tafe for being more than 10 years old.

Thanks
    Reviews

Yep and the weirder part it was OTEN that brought it up they were like hey we saw you have done a course in xyz did you want to apply for credits for the course you just enrolled in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Yep and the weirder part it was OTEN that brought it up they were like hey we saw you have done a course in xyz did you want to apply for credits for the course you just enrolled in.
    Wow, you're lucky! Feeling a tad bit ripped off that I had to sit through those couple of classes and assessments now, when, by the sounds of it, I may not have had too.