Closed Thread
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly39 View Post
    That's a good point, I suppose theatre is no different, and the common practice of tweeting during current affairs shows and voting during singing contests etc is probably a lot less passive... I guess the main concerns are raised by the American society of paediatrics for children under 5 etc and that perhaps for the developing brain there are potential effects being elucidated which are negative.

I agree about tv being affordable, cable is ridiculously expensive, however in some countries such as the US one must actually pay to receive news updates and the like, which has to make you wonder about why that must be and whether news is something which should be free to all etc. Before this of course there was the radio and the whole family would sit around it, but I think the academic concerns come from the rapid display of pictures and it's interaction with the visual system and neocortex, and one must wonder if our naive neural networks as seen in babies would up or down regulate various aspects of their physiology as a response.
    What are you talking about? You don't have to pay to receive news in the US, they have free to air channels just like in Australia, more of them actually. Which also show the news.

I'm American.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Which was 'how many TVs do you have?' Not 'what do you think of watching tv?'
    Surely it is implicit that how many Televisions I own is a corollary of what I think about it? I'd say that is fair game.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Surely it is implicit that how many Televisions I own is a corollary of what I think about it? I'd say that is fair game.
    And if you're going to be offensive and not apologize that makes the topic of your attitude fair game.

But happy to move on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    What are you talking about? You don't have to pay to receive news in the US, they have free to air channels just like in Australia, more of them actually. Which also show the news.

I'm American.
    i lived in the Us for a while also and my experience was that the quality of the news broadcasts on free to air are quite different to something you might see on abc or SBS for example.
    Last edited by Butterfly39; 21-10-2014 at 19:19.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Actually the op asked how many tv's people had because she is thinking about getting one in her bedroom and wanted to know if people were happy with the amount of tv's they have. She didn't ask anyone how much they watch tv, or what they think of watching tv. If you want to discuss how terrible tv is for you then start your own thread. You're out of line here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    i lived in the Us for a while also and My experience was that the quality of the news broadcasts on free to air are quite different in to something you might see on back or SBS for example.
    It's similar to 7, 9 and 10 news. But there are channels like PBS that are like ABC and SBS.

ABC actually airs some of PBS' news programs.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 21-10-2014 at 19:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by tastychicken View Post
    1 that doesn't get tv reception so only wiiU or dvds are played on it.

I have people sometimes ask about a show and I am all...."I don't know." Then they ask in the same breath how I have time to study and read even though I have kids and work.
    I haven't missed a single show that I enjoy while studying full time with three kids and working. One night a week I would have a night off and catch up on my tv shows. It was a great way for me to wind down, and after having my head stuck in books for hours on end all week I didn't want to pick up a book to read for leisure....plus if I get right in to a book I tend to not want to put it down. A tv show goes for 30-60 minutes and then it's not on for another week.
    We don't own a game console of any kind either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    This thread has sadly gone way off course and turned ugly.

Closed.

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

azelqra  (16-11-2014),DesperatelySeekingSleep  (21-10-2014),Lauzy  (21-10-2014),Mod-RaryGirl  (21-10-2014),MsViking  (21-10-2014),Purple Lily  (21-10-2014)