+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Well within reason. If we invited people with kids who still have naps they would also be asked if they want to put their kids down for a sleep whilst they were here which is what we do if people come for dinner.

2pm is quite late - my kids are thinking about afternoon tea by that stage as they usually wake up from sleep around then and eat anywhere between 5 and 6pm.

Did they say anything to you?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    See I like to have people arrive just before I serve food so I'm not stuck in the kitchen when they get there so if it were my BBQ I would have lunch ready by 12.30 with very light snacks available on arrival - but I probably wouldn't notice at someone else's house unless it was maybe 1.30 or when I got hungry but my SIL is notorious for always starting lunch late so I always take snacks to her place !
    Same, if people are coming around for food I have it ready for when they get there or I'll specify lunch will be served at 1ish

BH-KatiesMum is offline Community Manager
    Winner 2008 - The most optimistic poster
    Winner 2014 - Most Helpful Moderator
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    wow that is a bit odd ...

yeah I would have said about 12.30 or so I would start serving some food - especially the kiddies

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would have a cheese platter and dips set out and then lunch at 1ish.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    1.30/2pm would be the norm in my circle for a 12pm invite but definitely nibbles on arrival. And actually we never have 12pm times in our circle anymore as there are three toddlers so it's always any time after 2pm for an early dinner around 5ish!

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tinkbug View Post
    Hi @GM01 i would have nibbles ready for when guests arrive and serve lunch at 1:30ish. Hope that helps 😊
    This is what I would do

bunkx is offline Being happy doesn't mean that everything is perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GM01 View Post
    Thanks everyone!

This was actually something that happened on the weekend, we were invited around and TBH I was probably not in the most relaxed frame of mine with being exhausted from the pregnancy and having a teething toddler who was missing her nap time to be there in tow!

There were some adult appropriate nibbles but nothing really for the kids or the pregnant woman, (which didn't bother me so much as I don't expect to be catered for specifically for snacks).

By 1pm DD was cranky and hungry so I ended up feeding her a lunch of sorts a little after with some of her snacks I had bought with me just in case.

By 2pm there was still no sign of anything lunch being close by and DH and I decided to bail a short time later...

So I was mainly checking to see if we were being completely unreasonably with our expectations or not!
    My mum is terrible like this :-(

Last time she told us to come at 5.30 dinner would be at 6ish because my kids eat no later then that well bloody 8.30 before dinner was severed and only because i said we were leaving !!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Like others, snacks on arrival and lunch by 1 at the latest.

My XILs were terrible for this. At Christmas one year, lunch was served about 4:30 after everyone got there about 10:30/11. It was awful!

Thanks
    Reviews
    When we have a do like this, I message my friends & let them know approximately what time they expect to eat because with kids It's easier for everyone. I also advise what we'll be serving so that if someone doesn't eat it, I can cater for them.

Generally in our family/friends we all roll the same 😎

Thanks
    Reviews
    We would normally have nibbles (chips, dip, cheese etc) from when the first person arrives and eat at around 1pm.

If kids were coming we would have some sausages to cook for them earlier if needed.