+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazza78 View Post
    I only took folic acid in first 3 months
    Vit d for about 6 weeks
    And upped my milo intake in 3rd trim for a bit more iron!!
    My gosh, I crave milo during pg!

My morning sickness with DS was off the charts, then during my pg with DD I realised that elevit makes me sick. Even their regular multi makes me nauseous. So I will be taking a folic acid and iron next time.

DS I was also taking omega fish supplements, which I had heard was good for brain development, but the nurse asked me why? Some are very strict and others just don't give a ...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Eilonwy View Post
    Jmeleem - I assume they did a blood test on you for folic acid then? Maybe I should have a look at my blood test results, it might make me feel better! Glad to know that some midwives don't insist on Elevit. Not that I think it's a bad thing to take, I took it for a long time & other than for procreating I'm not usually a vitamin taker, but since my GP paid me out for taking it when breastfeeding and since I got low iron when taking it anyway, it did make me wonder if it's worth the price tag, hence switching to Blackmores.

It just seems weird for a midwife to be recommending that I supplement when I haven't even been tested to be low. That was annoying me yesterday... until I discovered I've only been taking half of what I thought I've been taking anyway. And now I think, well, lucky I'm getting tested then.
    Sorry late reply - yes it came up in my bloods. I practically lived on Vegemite and he reckons that helped keep my levels high. Whether thats true or not i dunno.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took Elevet first two pregnancies and black mores last 3 pregnancies as a friend suggested it with my 3rd. If your bloods are coming back okay than ignore her and take what you feel comfortable with and yes Elevet is expensive and black mores is good enough that's y I take it

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmeleem View Post
    Sorry late reply - yes it came up in my bloods. I practically lived on Vegemite and he reckons that helped keep my levels high. Whether thats true or not i dunno.
    I'm an occasional Vegemite eater - every few days. Had a look at my blood tests couldn't find one specifically for folic acid but red/white blood cells etc were all within normal levels. Not really high though just towards the lower end of the 'normal' range. From what I read this test can be a giveaway of low folic acid if it's too low, so hopefully that means I was doing well, I was 6-7 weeks preg then. Around that time I started getting morning sickness and eating mountains of food and living on bread, so I would have had no probs after that! Also ate Vegemite when I had heartburn. Yep so hopefully the 250mg of folic acid I was getting per day was enough!

Just bought a bottle of 100mg iron supplements yesterday. The blackmores bio iron is a lot lower which I prefer but it's got folic acid in it so that means too high an amt when combined with the multivitamin every day, ironically.

Seriously this vitamin stuff! Omg! Shouldn't be this complicated!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Eilonwy View Post
    I'm an occasional Vegemite eater - every few days. Had a look at my blood tests couldn't find one specifically for folic acid but red/white blood cells etc were all within normal levels. Not really high though just towards the lower end of the 'normal' range. From what I read this test can be a giveaway of low folic acid if it's too low, so hopefully that means I was doing well, I was 6-7 weeks preg then. Around that time I started getting morning sickness and eating mountains of food and living on bread, so I would have had no probs after that! Also ate Vegemite when I had heartburn. Yep so hopefully the 250mg of folic acid I was getting per day was enough!

Just bought a bottle of 100mg iron supplements yesterday. The blackmores bio iron is a lot lower which I prefer but it's got folic acid in it so that means too high an amt when combined with the multivitamin every day, ironically.

Seriously this vitamin stuff! Omg! Shouldn't be this complicated!
    Pretty sure its listed as vitamin b12 or something like that. At least thats the reading my dr went off

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmeleem View Post
    Pretty sure its listed as vitamin b12 or something like that. At least thats the reading my dr went off
    Thanks they didn't test me for B12 unfortunately but good to know.