Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I only took folic acid and my iron levels remained fine

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd keep taking the blackmores.. and smile.. and nod

Swisse do a reasonably cheap 20mg per tablet iron supplement ($5 for 30 tab packs when on special) which you could add to the blackmores, or even just every now and then if you are worried about iron. I took these every second day the only previous time I've been low on iron (after DD was born) and I never had any constipation issues at all.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I didn't take anything during my first pregnancy- bub born 8.5lbs at 40+5. Perfectly healthy.
    Second I took Swisse Pregnancy + ultivite- bub born 7.6lbs, inducted on her due date. Perfectly healthy.
    I did crave ice with my first which I later discovered can be indicative of an iron deficiency. Also my teeth began to develop cavities which I'd never experienced before and the doctor commented it could be due to low calcium levels during my first pregnancy.
    I found Swisse affordable and I'd use it again.

Me 32, He 35, DS 14, DD 2

Thanks
    Reviews
    Second pp re taking Floradix. This was suggested by my midwife after I had DS and had low iron and within weeks my iron level was back to normal.
    I didn't take any vitamins while pregnant, just ate whole organic food (most of the time!) and made bone broths which I still do (full of nutrients).
    Do what's right for you OP, smile and nod at the rest of the advice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. But OMG, last night was checking out the ingredients in my blackmores preg multi and happened upon the 'instructions'... discovered I'm meant to take 2 tabs a day, not one! I was taking folic acid until I found out I was preg then switched to the multivitamin, unknowingly halving my dose of folic acid. I've only got 6 weeks left of my pregnancy! I feel like such an idiot! Obviously too busy with my toddler & working to read labels... guess I have more than just iron to be concerned with.

Too embarrassed to tell the midwife that... guess I'll just be upping my dosage to the 2 pills I'm supposed to be having (!) & taking the blackmores lowish iron supplement I got, but it's only 3 weeks until they test my blood for iron so we'll find out how healthy I've been eating.

I'm such a tool!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I only took folic acid in first 3 months
    Vit d for about 6 weeks
    And upped my milo intake in 3rd trim for a bit more iron!!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kazza78 For This Useful Post:

Eilonwy  (21-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    First preg i took elevit religiously.

2nd preg i was too sick with hyperemesis that i chucked up my vitamin for a few weeks so then didnt bother with them

3rd preg i took blackmores preg vitamin whenever i remembered but in saying that i only brought 2 jars of it so prob missed it a lot.

I had 3 x 7 pound healthy babies

Thanks
    Reviews
    I took nothing. Not even Folic Acid. I found out at 8 weeks about folic acid and GP said not to worry as my levels were really high anyway.
    My middie said waste of money, you wont need it. I even cut out meat of my diet during 1st and 2nd tri and she STILL said dont bother. She also said Elevit is overrated and dont fall into that trap.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmeleem View Post
    I took nothing. Not even Folic Acid. I found out at 8 weeks about folic acid and GP said not to worry as my levels were really high anyway.
    My middie said waste of money, you wont need it. I even cut out meat of my diet during 1st and 2nd tri and she STILL said dont bother. She also said Elevit is overrated and dont fall into that trap.
    Jmeleem - I assume they did a blood test on you for folic acid then? Maybe I should have a look at my blood test results, it might make me feel better! Glad to know that some midwives don't insist on Elevit. Not that I think it's a bad thing to take, I took it for a long time & other than for procreating I'm not usually a vitamin taker, but since my GP paid me out for taking it when breastfeeding and since I got low iron when taking it anyway, it did make me wonder if it's worth the price tag, hence switching to Blackmores.

It just seems weird for a midwife to be recommending that I supplement when I haven't even been tested to be low. That was annoying me yesterday... until I discovered I've only been taking half of what I thought I've been taking anyway. And now I think, well, lucky I'm getting tested then.