+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default Did you successfully BF and have PCOS?

Was just typing a message related to this topic and was wondering how many others with PCOS had low milk supply for BF.

Would be interested to hear the level of PCOS, and if you were able to BF, if you needed to pump or take meds.

I've read that there is inconclusive research into this field due to inconsistencies but wondering how prevalent it could be. Particularly as so many of us who are unable to exclusively BF and feel bad enough already also receive very unhelpful comments from some others.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure what you mean by level of PCOS but I have symptoms but no cysts at last check, mild weight gain in mid area that never goes away, very hairy and non existent periods which my gyno said was PCOS.
    I was told I wouldn't have children, 3 months later DS was conceived and I'm now pregnant again first try which was unbelievable.

I was able to bf, pumping was easy peasy, 120ml average from each breast within 5 minutes but an undiagnosed lip tie made our journey very hard and due to him latching correctly and just not being able to suck and stay latched I gave up. Only found his lip tie when his top teeth came through.
    This was for mental health as it was a constant feed/sleep cycle for a week of 45 minutes on, 45 off. Both exhausted and I was not coping so expressing was my solution. Due to time restraints and no privacy that didn't last too long though.
    I have no doubts I will BF for longer with this bub and never even thought my PCOS could affect it at all

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Coop8818 For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (19-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have PCOS, cysts and irregular periods but no other symptoms/issues, took clomid to conceive my twins. I pumped while they were in nicu (3 months) with large/over supply, then managed to breastfeed exclusively.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sezzle For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (19-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I have pcos and almost every symptom you could name. My 7 month old ds was conceived with assistance.

Due to placental issues and hemerraging during labour he was born under ga. We didn't get skin to skin and I missed the first 3 hours.

From day 2 he was supplemented each feed due to fever and jaundice. My milk came in early but I was never able to feed exclusively because I felt my body never had the chance to even try to produce enough. My supply dwindled to nothing and ds has been fully formula fed since 16 weeks.

Next bub I know what I would like to do differently and really want to attempt to exclusively breastfeed.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to munchkin275 For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (19-10-2014),MonsterMummy  (19-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have it and have had no trouble breastfeeding my two. My DD self weaned when she was around 17 months old and I was 13 weeks pregnant. My son is 10 months and still going strong.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to WannaBMummy82 For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (19-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by munchkin275 View Post
    I have pcos and almost every symptom you could name. My 7 month old ds was conceived with assistance.

Due to placental issues and hemerraging during labour he was born under ga. We didn't get skin to skin and I missed the first 3 hours.

From day 2 he was supplemented each feed due to fever and jaundice. My milk came in early but I was never able to feed exclusively because I felt my body never had the chance to even try to produce enough. My supply dwindled to nothing and ds has been fully formula fed since 16 weeks.

Next bub I know what I would like to do differently and really want to attempt to exclusively breastfeed.

Sent from my GT-I9507 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    My first was also under GA. They say it takes longer after a cs for milk to come in but it never really came in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have PCOS and breast fed both my bubbas with no supply issues. In regards to my level of PCOS, I have absent periods, male pattern hair growth, high testosterone levels & weight gain around the middle. DD2 is a gift from IVF, due to infertility from PCOS.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Smyles For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (19-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There appears to be inconsistencies with it definitely. I wonder what it is then that makes some women unable to exclusively BF. Is it a hormone? Breast tissue?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have all symptoms. Ds was a clomid baby.

Had an emergency c section, he was in the nursery for 8 days. My milk never really came in. Took loads of motillium and fenugreek but no luck. I also missed the first 12 hours of his life due to anaesthesia complications.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MonsterMummy For This Useful Post:

Little Ted  (19-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I was just about to post a similar thread. I'm really struggling and desperately want my daughter to have EBM.