+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Fast let down and poor latch

Hi,

Has anyone else who has a fast letdown found that their babies are reluctant to latch properly, nice wide open mouth, but insist on doing a shallow latch?

My dd is very different from ds, but she is similar in the way she has developed a very particular preference for a shallow latch and gets quite upset at times when I try to latch her deeper. I know that a deep latch is the best way to cope with a fast flow, but in the earlier days (she's 3 months now) she still choked with a deep latch. Just couldn't keep up with the swallowing.

I know all the tips and tricks for coping with a fast letdown. None of them have helped. Posturing makes things worse as she prefers cradle hold by far. I could express more off to start with but even on a more empty boob she still chokes and splutters quite often.

She's getting worse now because her latch is often worse, but what I'm wondering is could she be doing it as a sort of self protective behaviour? Perhaps she feels more in control over the flow?

Wondering if anyone in a similar position has come to this conclusion with any of their nurslings...?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Nipple shields can slow the flow. There are pros and cons to using them but if bub really can't latch properly then they may be a good option. I had massive over supply and they helped DS attach but I also had flat nipples.

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Noty For This Useful Post:

Lissy12  (19-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    If she's not hurting you and getting enough milk I wouldn't worry about how deep her latch is at 3 months. It might just be her style.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Noty For This Useful Post:

Lissy12  (19-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Noty View Post
    If she's not hurting you and getting enough milk I wouldn't worry about how deep her latch is at 3 months. It might just be her style.

She's not hurting me, but I have reservations about letting things run their course.

I did that with my son and his latch became atrocious! There were other compilations there but it did get worse and worse.

She copes even worse with the flow with a shallow latch: ends up coughing and spluttering no question and it really upsets her and leads to more wind, which really interferes with overnight sleep after first feed.

In relation to the shield, she won't even trifle with a dummy so not sure she would use a shield.

Is it possible I still have more supply than she needs? I think the shallow latch comes out more often when she just wants to comfort suck rather than drink, but has influenced her latch overall. She's a very sucky baby but resolutely refuses the dummy...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a really fast let down and massive oversupply. My son is 5 weeks old and he was choking constantly so I went to a lactation consultant at the hospital. I have also found that positioning isn't terribly effective either - even if I lay him on top of me he will still choke. He also tends to prefer a shallow latch and I used to try to latch him on deeper, but he tends to pull off and whinge/cry with a deeper latch, so I think the shallow latch is a way to try and protect themselves. He also doesn't hurt me so I just let him latch as he wants now.

The LC said you can have several letdowns through a feed (I didn't know this) so when he starts spluttering/choking or seeming like he is struggling with it, I pull him off and let it flow onto a towel for a bit, and when it slows put him back on. If I'm really full I will also let him start the letdown at the start of a feed and then pull him off and wait for it to slow right down before reattaching. It seems to help a little bit (and its easier than pumping, I just make sure I take him off as soon as the letdown begins before he starts choking).

I think its possible you still have more than she needs - they say supply is meant to match demand around 6 weeks. Mine hasn't slowed down at all though as I get closer to 6 weeks but I am hoping it will. He still can't finish one side during a feed, but he is getting plenty as he is growing like a mushroom.

I can also relate re windy baby - they gulp to try and keep up and swallow so much air! I don't know what to do about this either. All I have managed to do is use a lot of infants friend! And as for comfort sucking, DS takes a dummy occasionally but the rest of the time I just let him use my finger until he calms down. He tends to do it more when he's windy but I can't let him comfort suck on me as he continues to take in milk which he doesn't want, then he cries, and then he spews it all back up!

Not sure what to suggest, but I'm in the same position!
    Last edited by Pearlygirl; 19-10-2014 at 20:22.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pearlygirl For This Useful Post:

Lissy12  (19-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds very much like a tongue and/lip tie could be playing a part in your problems. Do you know much about ties? Do you want me to send you some info and you can see if you think it fits with your bubs issues??? X

Thanks
    Reviews
    My 12 week old is doing the same. He had his tie cut and while his latch improved it seems to be a ?behavioural thing like you have suggested. I also wonder if his tie may have reattached. I might try giving the let down into a towel a go first like suggested.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tippytoes For This Useful Post:

Lissy12  (19-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure about OP but my DS has been checked for ties by 2 midwives before I left hospital and the LC a couple of weeks later and they've all said there isn't an issue there. In my case I think its purely from the fast letdown - I can get him to attach properly, but if I'm too full or he is not coping with the milk amount he will continuously pull off so I've been letting him dictate to some extent how he wants to latch with each feed (only when it's not hurting me). Not sure if there's any issues that can come from this though?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by RedCreamingSoda View Post
    Sounds very much like a tongue and/lip tie could be playing a part in your problems. Do you know much about ties? Do you want me to send you some info and you can see if you think it fits with your bubs issues??? X
    Thanks @RedCreamingSoda, that's really kind of you! I was so paranoid that she would have a tt!

I am extreme confident that she doesn't have tt. Ds had a posterior tongue tie that was released at 11 weeks, the didn't change his feeding at all. Had it reassessed a few weeks later and she confirmed that he still had some degree if posterior tongue tie but that there was nothing further to release. With ds I battled blocked ducts every other day due to his poor milk transfer. I haven't even had one with dd and she feeds SO MUCH quicker than him!

Lip ties I know nothing about, but she can latch beautifully, just strongly prefers not to, which appears to be a learned/conditioned behaviour.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    Not sure about OP but my DS has been checked for ties by 2 midwives before I left hospital and the LC a couple of weeks later and they've all said there isn't an issue there. In my case I think its purely from the fast letdown - I can get him to attach properly, but if I'm too full or he is not coping with the milk amount he will continuously pull off so I've been letting him dictate to some extent how he wants to latch with each feed (only when it's not hurting me). Not sure if there's any issues that can come from this though?
    You sound very on top of things! :-)

Only issues I could see (and which we do have) is wind from gulping air and swallowing too much too fast...