+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default How many night feeds should 5 month old be getting?

Hi
    So my dd is 5 months and 1 week old and she has never ever been a good sleeper but it seems she is getting worse and is now looking for more feeds in the night. We have tried settling her but she stays wide awake Nd you can hear her belly grumbling until she is fed. She normally will take 4 160 mls formula from 7am to 7pm. She will wake at 11pm will take around 120-140mls then 2am 120mls then 5 am 120mls then wakes to get up 7-7:30. Everyone tells me it gets better but so far she has only got worse! She Dosent sleep well during the day-is a catnapper and we have visted tressilian without much success. Can anyone offer any advice on this? Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    At that age, as much as they need. Every 3 hours overnight sounds average. If she's drinking a fair amount, she obviously needs it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have been told that at around that age if they start night waking again it's usually the time to start solids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Could you increase her day/night feeds? Dd4 is the same age and she has 2-3 240mls bottles between when she wakes (usually 10am), and when she goes to bed (between 9.30 and 10pm), plus some nights she has a top up of 60-120mls after her last feed before she goes to bed. She sleeps right through. Not saying it will work, but could be worth a shot?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    I also have a 5 month old but he only wakes once during the night for a feed. In total he has about 6 formula feeds in total every 24 hours.
    If it seems like milk isn't enough for your bub and shows a few other signs of being ready for solids then I would definitely talk to your child nurse about starting solids :-)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also it would depend on how much she weighs too.
    "Your baby will want between 150ml and 200ml of formula per kilogram of his body weight every day. So, if your baby weighs 3kg, he'll need between 450ml and 600ml of formula over a 24-hour period to satisfy his hunger. "

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Sounds like a growth spurt and a bit of sleep regression. I would personally go with it. My DS3 has slept through the majority of the time since he was 8 weeks old but he still has periods where he wakes for feeds overnight during growth spurts. It can go on for a few weeks at a time.

If you can hear her tummy grumbling I'd definitely feed her.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My LO was every 3/4 hours at 5 months after an initial stretch of 5hrs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies just finding it so tough with having to be up so often!!! She has started solids (rice cereal plus puréed baby food) about 3 weeks ago and although she eats really well it does seem like she's worse now at nights! I will have to look into this sleep regression thing . She struggles with finishing a 160 mls so I can try pushing more into her but am unsure she will manage. She was born 4 weeks early at 2.5kgs so was a small bub. She now weighs 6.5kg and is doing well(according to docs and health nurse) I'm just struggling ;(