+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default How often do you change household items?

How often do you change (buy new) your chopping boards, pillows etc

Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When the old ones don't work anymore. I use plastic chopping mats and replace them about once every 12 months because they get deep cuts and I worry that they're harbouring bacteria. Pillows are when they're no longer comfortable.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    We've got the pillows with the date stamp so I buy new ones then, which I think is every 18 months ?
    I've got a really good huge thick timber chopping board which is 3 years old now and looks like it will last forever plus two small separate timber ones for meat or chicken and they also are coming up to a few years old - I think I'd only change them if they have cracks appearing which they don't at the moment

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I don't use plastic or wood chopping blocks as they harbor bacteria I only use glass (which unfortunately bluntens the knives).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Pillows - about every 12 months.

Chopping boards - I have had my heavy wooden chopping boards about 2.5 years and they don't look like they will need replacing for a while yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Pillows I get ones witj the date stamps so when they come up, chopping boards, I also use a thick wooden one. I used to use glass but my Dad gave me some chef knives worth a few hundred dollars so I didn't want to damage them.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When they are broken, in need of repair or when I remember 😉

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Nomia For This Useful Post:

MummaOJ  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Only replace things when they need it.

Pillows are a little different to other things, as they fill up with dead dust mites/excrement etc... so they get replaced regularly.

Our chopping board was cheap, but we've had it for 5 years. Will eventually get something better that will last a lifetime.

Our approach to household items is to either buy something that will last a lifetime (or as close as possible...depending what it is), or to get something cheap and then upgrade when we can. Usually we buy things second hand.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I replace when they look like they need it. I was at my mums the other day and went to use her chopping board and realised she still has the same chopping board from when I was a child. Its a thick plastic board and it is so discoloured. I told meum I think she needs a new one and she just shrugged it off. I used a plate to chop my food lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My mum still has the chopping board she's had for 40 years... but it's wood, so that doesn't bother me. Plastic...*shudders*