+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Getting kicked out of shops

I was at the shops today.. local one just with a few specialty stores and the 2 major grocery stores in it.

There was a child around 4yrs old having a major tantrum inside.. I jist felt for the poor mum. This went on for about 10mins and then a security guard turned up and told them to leave!!
    I was shocked.. can they do this? I felt so bad for the mum. A lot of people were looking over but yeh it was loud but it was just a child tantrum.

Told my dad and he said they have the right to do that as its public property. Gee I hope my son doesnt throw one while we are there next!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Sounds a bit harsh to me. Yes, it was probably inconvenient for other shoppers and a bit annoying but like you said, it was only a child's tantrum. A bit of overkill IMO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Makes me utterly terrified of taking my kids to the shops. DS2 had a meltdown in target today. I would have burst into tears if someone asked me to leave.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I really hope there's more to that story that we don't know.

Yes, it's private property, and they can ask someone to leave... but what a horrible thing to do if it was purely due to a child having a tantrum.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Renn For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (18-10-2014),Purple Lily  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    10 minutes is a hell of a long time though for a kid to be stuck in a shop mid tantrum. I've luckily only experienced one or two major tantrums while shopping and honestly after 5 minutes I packed it in and went home.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

FearlessLeader  (18-10-2014),Meld85  (18-10-2014),snowqu33n  (19-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    10 minutes is a hell of a long time though for a kid to be stuck in a shop mid tantrum. I've luckily only experienced one or two major tantrums while shopping and honestly after 5 minutes I packed it in and went home.
    Totally different issue I know as my son has sensory issues and frequent meltdowns but 5 minutes is a quick meltdown for us lol. If I packed up and went home every time he did it, he'd never learn how to cope with it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    If a child has a disability it is illegal to ask them to leave on the basis of their disability - and this would include behaviours resulting from their disability.

The fact a shopping centre is "private property" is irrelevant. It's in the Disability Discrimination act.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If there's no more to the back story than a child having a tantrum asking the parents to leave is very harsh and unreasonable. Most people cut parents some slack with tamtruming kids don't they?! So surely it doesn't annoy people to the extent they need removing from the premises after all it's only bloody shopping and not a funeral or such?!

However if the child does in fact have sensory or other developmental issues they should be removed from the premises by the parents, if it appears they aren't coping with what's happening to/around them, as if the child is tantruming it could well be because they are over-stimulated and need to be taken somewhere calming to re-set.

Bit of a lose/lose situation that one!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Also depend on the size of the shop. A 10 minute tantrum in a target or kmart probably would go unnoticed but in a very small business would be extremely awkward. Sound like it as a big shop if there was a security guard though.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    My kids have special needs and one of them has epic meltdowns. When he has reached the point of no return We take him to a quiet safe place so he can regulate himself without having to battle against all of the sensory input thats extremely overwhelming to him. This is usually back to the car until he calms. I leave my groceries at the front desk and tell them i'll return in 5-10 etc

If security asked me to leave, id feel really embarrassed but at the same time i honestly wouldn't let it go that far. I can see both sides i guess