+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Large head size measurement for 6 month old

We've been referred to a Paediatrician as my 6 month old has a head diameter of 47cm, the doctor said not to be alarmed but she wants it to be monitored? I can't help but worry now! Its 2 weeks until the appointment! He seems to be developing normally, responding to peoples voices, rolling over, enjoying solids etc. Has anyone else had this?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD has a very large head - about 99th percentile.

She was also referred to the GP at about the same age. She's 2 now and still has a big head, but there isn't anything medically wrong with her. She just has a big head .

I know it's easy to say, but try not to worry. I'm sure your bub is fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS1 had measurements above the charts, can't remember how old he was exactly, but was before the skull bones had fused, my GP sent him for an ultrasound of his head, and turned out was all fine, just has a big head!
    I think what they are worried about excess fluid in the brain and tumours, but try not to worry too much until you see the paed.
    Do you or your DH have a big head? Mine is quite big, and my DS2 had quite a big head circumference when he was born- glad that was via c-section!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD's head was 48cm at 6 months. My GP was inclined to panic but all the kids in my family have enormous heads (they've all had to be born by c/s because of head size!) and we were never really worried. When we saw a pediatrician 6 months later for something else he wasn't worried either. Her head size has always followed the correct curve, it just sits 1-2cm above the line for the 100th percentile!!! She's 3 now, still way off the chart and in adult sized hats rofl!

Oh and no, I don't think it's only cos of extra brains, we highly suspect it's to house all the extra stubborn-ness ;-)