+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 7 mth old trying to side sleep but rolling too far, crying - ALL NIGHT

My 7 month old DS no longer wants to sleep on his back. He was doing really well sleeping before last week. Self settling for naps with his cuddle toy, before bedtime. Then he'd sleep till his dream feed time (BF still), wake up dream feed back to sleep, then woke up once or twice for another feed during the night. Sometimes he woke up more i think cuz of teething but that's kind of settled now.
    He was sick all of last week contracting HFM and so DH and I resorted to rocking him as he was in so much pain and fevers. this whole week screwed up all the 'sleep training' we did so far. I mean he wasnt even crying anymore. but now he screams his lungs out all the time if we dont pick him up.
    I have a SafeTsleep sleepwrap which has been brilliant to prevent him rolling all over his cot and helped him sleep on his back but now he wants to just sleep on his side. sometimes im ready to put him back in cot drowsy and i dont even have time to velcro the wrap around he rolls over to sleep on his side (same position as when I hold him to rock to sleep i suppose) then he rolls too far, bumps his head, screams cant sleep. last night he was up over 2.5 hrs, fell asleep finally sideways for an hour but i wasnt quick enough to put the safeTsleep on, then somehow rolled back on his back, screams his lungs out.
    its getting exhausting to hold him and rock him, im so tired i just dont have the strength to hold him and he kicks around, turns over, pulls my hair, im just so freakin over it
    DH not much help either, he has to work, so he s like "i have to sleep" then I keep rushing in DSs room to shush him asap. sometimes I feel like I am doing this raising DS all on my own , especially at night. DHs favorite excuse is "i cant breastfeed", now it's "im too tired and I have to work"
    going slightly coocoo from sleep deprivation
    is this just another phase or what? another two weeks and then we will probably hit the infamous 8 months sleep regression everyone talks about (YAY so looking forward to that - NOT) even less sleep for me
    and then everyone always telling me "is he not sleeping through yet, he should be sleeping through, blablabla" whatever, clearly im doing it all wrong then
    help sorry
    *end rant*

Thanks
    Reviews
    My LO is doing something similar ATM rolling onto tummy then waking up as she can't roll back. We cut a pool noodle in half then slipped them down a pillow case then put baby between them to wedge her so she can't roll. Does that make sense the way I've described it? HTH...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Missbear For This Useful Post:

someonesomewhere  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm not going to be much help, but whoever is telling you that he should be sleeping through by now is full of it. My son is three and doesn't sleep through! He goes through stages of sleeping through for 2-3 days but then will need a drink or have a bad dream etc. I think that it's totally unreasonable to expect a 7 month old, breastfed baby to sleep though! Maybe a formula fed one, I think they often sleep better overnight, but even still lots won't!

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ruby_Tuesday15 For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (18-10-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (19-10-2014),someonesomewhere  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I hate to say it but even my 3 formula fed children never slept thru until they were about 3.5.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (18-10-2014),Ruby_Tuesday15  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think you can get a sleep positioner or sleep wedge that will stop him rolling all the way over. Has he only just learnt to roll? If so, he will also probably learn to roll back soon enough. Unfortunately with every sickness, developmental milestone, teething phase etc comes disruption to sleep. I've found sleep to be the most unpredictable thing in the first 1-2 years. And yeah, as for sleeping through, it was 1 for Ds1 and 18mo ds2 doesn't sleep through yet.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Our boy didn't sleep through until he was over 1 year old. And then it was only for a short while until we started night toilet training. So phoooey to those who say your bub should be sleeping through.

As for the rolling over to sleep... personally, if bub was OK with tummy time, can roll over, can lift head, etc, then I'd let them sleep on their tummy.

I don't remember at what age I let our 1st sleep on his tummy (with my 1st-time-mum paranoia it probably wasn't until he could roll on his own), but with our 2nd I started putting her down to sleep on her tummy from age 6 weeks after reading the articles linked below. And I wish I had started sooner. They sleep so much better that way. It's not an instant death wish. If you are aged 25 or older then you were probably put to sleep on your tummy too. But if you're still really worried about them sleeping on their tummy, why not get one of those breathing monitors?

Here's the link:
    http://www.heracliteanriver.com/?p=97
    and this one:
    http://naturaltothecore.wordpress.co...eeping-part-1/

Thanks
    Reviews
    far out i just spent an hour hovering over his face over the edge of the cot patting his bum. he's still not asleep. he settles but when hes nearly asleep and i move away he starts screaming again.
    back pain and leg pain and I hate hearing him cry like that, im not looking forward to tonight

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS has slept through from about 3mo, but every time he's sick, teething or its a full moon (haha) he has a sleep regression. It sucks after you've put in all that hard work to get them sleeping well, and then you have to start from square one! But having laid the ground work it doesn't take as long to get them back into the good habits as it did to establish the habits in the first place. And my DS never went through the infamous the 8 month sleep regression that everyone talks about, not all babies do, so don't stress about that just yet

If the problem with rolling during sleep seems to be that he gets stuck on his tummy and wakes up, perhaps working on rolling exercises during his awake time during the day would help? DS's physio told us to encourage him to roll by placing toys just out of his reach, and putting him on a towell then lifting one end of the towel gently to roll him. Once your DS can roll onto his tummy then roll back onto his side or back he will hopefully stop waking and just be able to get himself comfy again.

Big hugs, sleep deprivation is the WORST! x

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by debsch View Post
    Our boy didn't sleep through until he was over 1 year old. And then it was only for a short while until we started night toilet training. So phoooey to those who say your bub should be sleeping through.

As for the rolling over to sleep... personally, if bub was OK with tummy time, can roll over, can lift head, etc, then I'd let them sleep on their tummy.

I don't remember at what age I let our 1st sleep on his tummy (with my 1st-time-mum paranoia it probably wasn't until he could roll on his own), but with our 2nd I started putting her down to sleep on her tummy from age 6 weeks after reading the articles linked below. And I wish I had started sooner. They sleep so much better that way. It's not an instant death wish. If you are aged 25 or older then you were probably put to sleep on your tummy too. But if you're still really worried about them sleeping on their tummy, why not get one of those breathing monitors?

Here's the link:
    http://www.heracliteanriver.com/?p=97
    and this one:
    http://naturaltothecore.wordpress.co...eeping-part-1/
    I agree, at that age I would definitely let him sleep on his tummy, and put him down on his tummy and see if that helps.

My second and third baby were tummy sleepers from birth and were much better sleepers and settlers.