+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default What sort of bed/set-up for co-sleeping?

I didn't get out of bed once last night (first time since getting pregnant that that's happened!), woke up at 7.30 feeling so rested, and with minimal disruption and no crying - DS fed 4 times which is great for my supply!
    So I've officially been converted to the goodness of co-sleeping

However DP has been complaining of being squished so I think we'll need to rearrange things and probably invest in a bigger bed.
    I'm wondering how everyone else does it? Any tips or advice? Do you need a king sized bed?
    I'm not sure if we should do baby next to the wall, or next to a bed rail of some kind, or mattress on the floor (which is recommended but I heard can trap moisture?) or try and find a low bed frame or a Japanese style futon…

(And yes, I'm familiar with safe-cosleeping guidelines, we're all good!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a king size. DD sleeps next to us in the middle ( she's 14 months). DH and I have separate blankets and DD is in sleeping bag. Personally I don't like next to the wall as if there's a gap and she rolls in she might get stuck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    We have a king size now but before that we had a queen with a side car cot set up next to it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have a queen size and don't seem to get squished but I find I have to move around depending on which side bub is on to give hubby room. We don't have the bed against the wall or use a bed rail. I do get confused about how to safely feed in bed when you aren't supposed to have bub between 2 people - how do you feed on that side? Are you supposed to stay awake?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    I do get confused about how to safely feed in bed when you aren't supposed to have bub between 2 people - how do you feed on that side? Are you supposed to stay awake?
    I used to wonder about this too! In the end I found that I could half roll forward and the opposite boob was able to reach, with DS more on his back than on his side. Hope that makes sense!

The side car cot hadn't occurred to me for some reason! We currently have a side car/co-sleeper bassinet but I'm not able to breastfeed DS without getting him completely in and out - it can't support enough weight to have me shuffle close enough to feed him in there. I'll look into how supportive our cot is, this might work for now, thanks!
    (haha we haven't even taken the cot pieces out of the boxes yet…)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When DD was a newborn she just used to sleep on the outside with me in the middle and DH on my other side. I had a railing there just in case but she rarely moved.
    Now she's bigger it's the same set up but reversed and I've pushed the bed against the wall because she moves a bit more but... I do kick DH out of bed most nights

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    We have a king size bed, and DS3 sleeps in between us and DH and I have separate blankets. But we only co-sleep occasionally now DS3 is 16 months.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by deku View Post
    I used to wonder about this too! In the end I found that I could half roll forward and the opposite boob was able to reach, with DS more on his back than on his side. Hope that makes sense!

The side car cot hadn't occurred to me for some reason! We currently have a side car/co-sleeper bassinet but I'm not able to breastfeed DS without getting him completely in and out - it can't support enough weight to have me shuffle close enough to feed him in there. I'll look into how supportive our cot is, this might work for now, thanks!
    (haha we haven't even taken the cot pieces out of the boxes yet…)
    Thanks! My boobs are saggy enough that I reckon I could do that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I (we..me and baby) kicked dh out lol. He slept on a mattress. But if we could afford it we would have definitely bought a king size bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have a double mattress on the floor of DD's room. When I need to co sleep with her (usually from 3-4am when she wakes for a feed) I get her up out of her cot and lay down there with her for the rest of the night. If she's having a bad night and won't go down in her cot I lay on the mattress feeding her until she falls asleep. She's 14 months. When she was younger I had her cot side carred to my bed.