+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default EDD and dating scans?

is a dating scan different to the quick scan an ob/gyn will do in his office to check the heart beat etc??

the receptionist on the phone when i called up to book my first ob/gyn apt asked if i had had a dating scan and what my edd was? i said i hadnt had a scan yet and becuase i dont know when i ovulated and because i was on the pill before hand that my gp couldnt figure out my due date...

should i ask to have a dating scan before my ob/gyn apt?
    or should i just go to my apt with an open mind? (the receptionist said he usually likes to see people around the 7/8 week mark and so we have guessed when this will be...)

my doctor is dating my pregnancy at roughly 3 weeks... and this is based on my lmp (when i was on the pill)

background: for the month of july and august i skipped the non active pills in my pack... then in sept i missed 1 tablet in the middle of the pack... took it when i remembered... continued with the pack then took the non active tablets (had a 'period', which was a bit lighter than i thought it would be) and then stopped my pill....

if you had to hazzard a guess what would you put my edd at?

first day of lmp was 22nd sept.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Im not sure in regards to the pill etc.... but I would probably have a dating scan.

When I found out I was pregnant with my first, the dr put me at 10 weeks pregnant going by lmp. So booked in to have 12 week scan done 2 weeks later (so 12 weeks pregnant). Get to scan and was told I was only 8 weeks along. Which means I was only 6 weeks when we found out.

If you arent sure of dates, go have a dating scan especially if you OB prefers to see you from a little further along in the 1st trimester.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by meredithgrey View Post
    Seeing as you have no idea what your period dates are you should get a dating scan. You shouldn't be using those dates as they are completely inaccurate.

I would guess that you are further along than 3 weeks, based on the fact that you know you are pregnant.

How did you find out about your pregnancy?
    i did an ebay cheapy test last weekend (sunday) and then first response test later in the afternoon that same day.

on monday the 13th i did a digital test and it came up with pregnant 1-2 so went to the gp and had bloods done... my hcg levels were at 50. my gp has given me a referrral for the ob and said she doesnt have to see me again...

i kind of want to have bloods done again to check they are rising etc.... and its killing me not having a date.... im already so bloated and my boobs are huge im going to struggle to hind this pregnancy...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Emi I'm just shocked your doc has given u a referral already after a result of 50 and hasn't booked a dating scan even though U really don't know how far along you are.

My first (ended in mc ) I'm sure of dates of implant, ovulation, lmp..... First blood test 1900... My doc stuffed me round and ordered more bloodwork and still sent me for a dating scan before my referral.

I would see another gp and insist on a dating scan.....
    Last edited by lilyloubelle; 18-10-2014 at 08:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Definitely do a dating scan. I don't know if it's even possible to know you are pregnant at 3 weeks. Maybe closer to 4 weeks you can know. At 1-2 weeks you are not pregnant, you haven't even ovulated yet. I don't know how this digital test works, it sounds confusing. You are probably further along than you think you are

Thanks
    Reviews
    Starfish digital means 1-2 weeks after ovulation... Which would put u at 3-4 weeks pregnant

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lilyloubelle For This Useful Post:

Starfish30  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lilyloubelle View Post
    Starfish digital means 1-2 weeks after ovulation... Which would put u at 3-4 weeks pregnant
    Thats correct and my hcg levels reflect that too which is why the gp didnt do anything more...

i think i will go and see another doctor and repeat my blood work and ask for a dating scan... (how early can a dating scan be done?)

should also add that my last period was on the 22nd of sept. i am not due until this coming monday...

so i got a positive test result just over a week before i was due to get my period...
    Last edited by Emi; 18-10-2014 at 09:11.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks. i might get bloods done again this coming week and see if they have risen and then ask for a dating scan.

im booked in to see my ob on the 18th of November too. (so will try and get the scan done before i see him)

does anyone know if you have to pay for a dating scan to be done?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sometimes you do. My doc put on my referral that it was to be bulk billed though
    Last edited by lilyloubelle; 18-10-2014 at 13:50.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to lilyloubelle For This Useful Post:

Emi  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Depending on where your doctor sends you for the dating scan and if they put it down to be bulk billed.

My LMP was also 22nd Sept and I got a BFP this morning and digital test showing 1-2weeks. For you to have gotten your BFP last weekend (if I read it right) I would say you are further along.

Go see a different doctor. If need be say your lmp could be 2 possible dates

13. The Following User Says Thank You to TTC1morepink For This Useful Post:

Emi  (18-10-2014)