+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 22 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I'm sure the lack of livelihood was a factor. But his words were that no animal should have to suffer that way.
    I find it impossible to wrap my head around that train of though. No animal should have to suffer that way...Until the point of slaughter??? Then whatever goes?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I agree with miss kitty's post that most are doing the right thing. It's the likes of your father in laws practices that horrified me.
    See I dont think my fils methods are horrifying. That seems acceptable and quite ok. The sheep are with their friends then they get knocked out. Then nothing.

The odd one that comes too is generally cos my fil is getting old and it takes him ages to string them up. But he knocks them out again. He finds tasers and stun guns tho unacceptable and cannot believe police can use tasers on humans.

This is a man who fired three shearers for being mean to the flock.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post
    I find it impossible to wrap my head around that train of though. No animal should have to suffer that way...Until the point of slaughter??? Then whatever goes?

I don't find it difficult at all. I'm not in the head of the farmer so I really have an ability to explain it further.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    ...so it is a marketing 'strategy/gimmick'.

"In marketing language, a gimmick is a unique or quirky special feature that makes something "stand out" from its contemporaries. However, the special feature is typically thought to be of little relevance or use. Thus, a gimmick is a special feature for the sake of having a special feature."

It appears that people who follow Islam and adhere to Halal/Haram have been able to survive for 1400 odd years without a certification stamp.
    ...this is why some people would refer to it as a 'gimmick'.
    Muslims from 1400 years ago didn't buy their food at the supermarket. I can't speak for all Muslims but I can say that the Halal label is certainly not 'of little relevance' to me, in my life it is extremely relevant and while I acknowledge displaying the label is part of a companies' marketing strategy it is in no way a gimmick to me.

Likening a thoroughly researched symbol that helps me to adhere to my religious beliefs to a cheap gimmick like a plastic toy in my cereal is insulting to say the least.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

gizmoduckus  (18-10-2014),Mod-pegasus  (26-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Farmers/small business shouldn't get a free pass when it comes to annual cruelty. If they can't afford to kill humanely then tough.
    Some of our legally allowed standards are still disgusting - the living conditions of caged hens and factory pig farms for example are atrocious , trust me I'm sure the animals wouldn't care how they died as they couldn't bare to keep living - but consumers whinge about not being able to afford /justify the extra money to but organic or free range so of course these animals suffer and until every consumer actually gets involved as to how their eggs/ milk/ meat/ chicken ect are bred and killed - I bet there would be thousands more vegetarians if they saw how their food lived

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

btmacxxx  (18-10-2014),Busy-Bee  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    Oh and another reason why some people are a little wary of the AFIC is they have been in the news in the past for shifting funds...
    http://www.smh.com.au/national/terti...115-29esl.html
    How is this relevant? Are you concerned that AFIC is funneling money gained from certification into terrorism? because as far as I can see this article relates to accounting discrepancies related to schools, there's no indication of the kind of transactions you're implying.

Your concern is why do companies pay AFIC and other Muslim organizations to certify their products as Halal; this is something you can take up with those individual companies, but as long as companies are happy to pay for certification and Muslims are happy to buy certified products and no certifiers have ever been found to be supporting terrorism in any way I think you'll have a hard time stopping the certifying process.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HarvestMoon View Post

This is the example I use. In a drought the animals don't get fed so starve to death. I work in animal welfare and have seen sheep that have had practically no nutritionally useful food and still been alive and able to walk after a month. You either shoot them or let them continue to starve. Yes, they should have been killed sooner so they didn't get weak but the abattoirs are flooded because everyone is in the same situation and you hold onto your animals desperately hoping it rains until you can't keep them any longer. I would prefer that they get shot than starve to death - and I've seen that. I would also prefer that there was some way to stop this because it also takes human lives.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Mirabelle View Post
    Muslims from 1400 years ago didn't buy their food at the supermarket. I can't speak for all Muslims but I can say that the Halal label is certainly not 'of little relevance' to me, in my life it is extremely relevant and while I acknowledge displaying the label is part of a companies' marketing strategy it is in no way a gimmick to me.

Likening a thoroughly researched symbol that helps me to adhere to my religious beliefs to a cheap gimmick like a plastic toy in my cereal is insulting to say the least.
    Who mentioned plastic toys in cereal boxes??

There are plenty of people in the world that this stamp of approval is NOT relevant to and that is what the issue is for some people.

Apparently some bottles of water are being stamped with a Halal symbol - necessary? ..I think not.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Lauzy  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Mirabelle View Post
    How is this relevant? Are you concerned that AFIC is funneling money gained from certification into terrorism? because as far as I can see this article relates to accounting discrepancies related to schools, there's no indication of the kind of transactions you're implying.

Your concern is why do companies pay AFIC and other Muslim organizations to certify their products as Halal; this is something you can take up with those individual companies, but as long as companies are happy to pay for certification and Muslims are happy to buy certified products and no certifiers have ever been found to be supporting terrorism in any way I think you'll have a hard time stopping the certifying process.
    It is relevant - because the OP asked the question.

The links to Halal companies, AFIC etc - are being questioned by numerous people.

It is part of the conversation...the big conversation.

ETA - I actually said in a past post that I don't think "Vegemite = terrorism"

I'm always wary of religion and money making schemes though, I'm not a fan of religious tax exemptions, nor faith schools..so yes - I think it is fair that people ask where the profits are being directed
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 18-10-2014 at 15:53.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Star Light  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    The stamp is relevant to the people it is being marketed towards, so to me it is not a gimmick. Maybe it is to you and that's fine, it doesn't have any bearing on my life.

As for plain water being labelled, that is obviously ridiculous and a gimmick, I know literally no Muslims who would look for a Halal label on water. If it was flavoured water though it would be relevant because some flavours and colours are not Halal.