+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 23 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Light View Post
    Why do the companies themselves have to have any involvement at all though? It is beyond me why any food manufacturer would be involved with any religious organisation (unless of course it is a marketing gimmick...). Couldn't the AFIC publish a list of Halal certified products for Muslim consumers???
    Many Islamic organizations publish lists of Halal certified products and restaurants, when you're out doing your grocery shopping though it's easier if there's a label on the product. If a company decides they want to pay a fee to indicate to their Muslim/ Vegetarian/ Jewish customers that this product is suitable for them it's entirely up to them, it is also up to them whether they pass the cost of certification on to the customer. I personally prefer when there is a Halal sign and so I'm happy to pay any extra costs, you may not be and are free to not buy that product. At the end of the day it's up to the company, and as a Muslim I appreciate when companies label their foods and I will alway choose a product that is labelled Halal over one that is not.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

GlitterFarts  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    That's bloody horrible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    That's the sort of thing that makes me glad I'm vegetarian. How horrific.

Meh. Such is life. I'm surprised at the level of unease by some people. None of the language used was particularly confronting imo.

But then I could be immune to it all as my life is blood and bodily fluids. I attend autopsies and organ retrievals occasionally so death and dying is normal to me.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Also Star Light in relation to your question about why would any food manufacturer be involved with a religious organisation - many religions have specific criteria about what members of those religions can eat. For millions of people food and religion go hand in hand. Muslims eat Halal, Jews eat Kosher, Hindus don't eat cows, Sikhs and Buddhists eat vegetarian (not every member of these groups adheres to this off course but some do) etc. It's in the food manufacturers interests to market their product to as many people as possible, if their product meets the specifications for these religions of course they would want members of these religions to know that and buy their product. It's not a marketing gimmick, it's a strategy for increasing customer share and profit margins.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Meh. Such is life. I'm surprised at the level of unease by some people. None of the language used was particularly confronting imo.

But then I could be immune to it all as my life is blood and bodily fluids. I attend autopsies and organ retrievals occasionally so death and dying is normal to me.

But this is precisely why people need to be called out on cruel practices. Just because it's normal for those who do it doesn't make it right. I accept that animals are below humans in terms of life value but it comes back to (for me anyway) the way a human treats his or her lessers tells more about them than almost anything else. Just because we humans are more powerful and can slaughter a sheep that wakes up after having its throat slit doesn't make that person strong or brave. It just makes the method ********.
    Last edited by Sonja; 18-10-2014 at 13:37.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

almai  (19-10-2014),btmacxxx  (18-10-2014),Busy-Bee  (18-10-2014),JR03  (18-10-2014),VicPark  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    But this is precisely why people need to be called out on cruel practices. Just because it's normal for those who do it doesn't make it right. I accept that animals are below humans in terms of life value but it comes back to (for me anyway) the way a human treats his or her lessers tells more about them than almost anything else. Just because we humans are more powerful and can slaughter a sheep that wakes up after having its throat slit doesn't make that person strong or brave. It just makes them ********.
    Yes, this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    That last word was b.a.r.b.a.r.i.c. Why was that deleted??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post

I don't know, I saw my first sheep slaughtered just over ten years ago and it's something that I'll never forget because watching a life get taken, regardless of how quickly the actual death and slaughter is (and it's pretty quick) is well, it's pretty emotional, so I can definitely understand how people are distressed by the idea.

My FIL has slaughtered 100s of sheep and he once said that it's never something you enjoy or something you get used to. You watch these animals come into the world, you often have to help them in that journey. You feed them and water them every day, when you kill one of them, you don't want to cause them unnecessary stress or pain.

But anyway, this probably has nothing to do with the topic, and I have orange cake to make!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    That last word was b.a.r.b.a.r.i.c. Why was that deleted??
    Because it used to get bandied about in the circ threads and caused kerfuffles.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (26-10-2014),Sonja  (18-10-2014),VicPark  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Reading this thread I'm glad I'm vegetarian as I don't agree with any methods which animals are killed. The RSPCA had a newsletter on their website which had an article about halal certified meat. The way it's done is awful & heartbreaking & I don't agree for any living thing to suffer that way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    I just want to say one thing. I recall when living in Melbourne during the severe droughts and after Black Saturday the Age showed so many pictures of animal farmers openly weeping over their lost stock, including one incredibly moving photo of a 50-odd year old farmer standing over a cow he had just had to shoot and balling his eyes out.

For the vast majority @amyd is completely correct farmers have no interest in treating their animals inhumanely, in life or in death. It makes no sense from a business point of view but also just because that's how they make their living doesn't automatically mean they are cruel people. Yes I am vegetarian but I have actually never liked the taste of meat. It was only when I got older that I used the cruelty argument. But I still wear leather and feed my kids meat (not that they seem to like it either - which my mother finds hilarious).