+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 23 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My FIL kills his own sheep on the farm and he knocks them on the head, then ties them up upside down then cuts their neck so the blood drains WHILST the animal is still alive. Occ they come to a bit whilst that happens.

That was the practice he was taught as blood left in meat taints it and therefore it spoils quicker. Now he has been doing this for years and when I told him that this practice was almost halal he got all upset.

In my experience here and OS this way of killing animals is the norm.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (26-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    All the abbatoirs in WA are halal certified. The animal is stunned to unconscious then killed by having its throat cut. A prayer is said.
    A) stressed animals don't taste good so in general abbatoirs are very calm places. It's in their best interest to treat the animals well.
    B) you have to cut the animals throat because otherwise the blood would pool in the meat & make it gross.
    We killed our own sheep growing up & this is exactly how my dad did it & he didn't give two $hits about halal or not, just kindest way to slaughter the animal to get meat for our family to eat.
    I don't think it's a big deal at all.
    This exactly. I've seen a fair few animals killed this way and I've helped with the cutting up. You cannot stress the animals so often pet lambs or calves are in the herd to calm the them down till they get killed.

The cut is across the carotid and jugular with the blood draining quickly. It's pretty quick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    DH used to work in an abattoir whose trade was 90% overseas market. The iman cut all the cattle and goats throats and let them bleed out. I think the claims Halal funds terrorism is stupid, my issue is more if the animals suffer. I was vegetarian for 10 years so it worries me. But then look at our appalling record on how we keep our chickens

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    My FIL kills his own sheep on the farm and he knocks them on the head, then ties them up upside down then cuts their neck so the blood drains WHILST the animal is still alive. Occ they come to a bit whilst that happens.

That was the practice he was taught as blood left in meat taints it and therefore it spoils quicker. Now he has been doing this for years and when I told him that this practice was almost halal he got all upset.

That's bloody horrible.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

mrswhitehouse  (18-10-2014),Sonja  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    This is from the Department of Halal Certification "The animal must be alive at the time of slaughter. No electric shock, bullet or any other means should be used before slaughtering. Using any such method may lead to the death of the animal before it is cut. Islam prohibits Muslims from eating any meat coming from an animal that is dead before slaughter. Muslims are also advised to avoid eating anything doubtful".

Thanks
    Reviews
    And again I ask.... do the Halal Certified companies pay for this certification or is the cost passed on to the consumer?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post

That's the sort of thing that makes me glad I'm vegetarian. How horrific.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (18-10-2014),btmacxxx  (18-10-2014),mrswhitehouse  (18-10-2014),Rocky27  (18-10-2014),VicPark  (18-10-2014)

Busy-Bee is online now Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Light View Post
    This is from the Department of Halal Certification "The animal must be alive at the time of slaughter. No electric shock, bullet or any other means should be used before slaughtering. Using any such method may lead to the death of the animal before it is cut. Islam prohibits Muslims from eating any meat coming from an animal that is dead before slaughter. Muslims are also advised to avoid eating anything doubtful".
    In the first post of mine in this thread there is a quote from the RSPCA about this practice. It states along the lines of 'most halal slaughter in Australia administers a reversible stun to the animal prior to the throat being slit with a small exception not administering the reversible stun.' I would assume that because the administered stun is reversible it would be considered that the animal is not dead prior to their throat being cut therefore permissible within halal protocols.

I agree that there would be instances where companies would pass the cost on of the halal certification - the question is how much does that constitute in the price? As an anti-theist I object to financial supporting religions so I appreciate your point. I don't shop at Gloria Jeans nor by Sanitarium products. I'm guessing there's plenty more products I should stop buying but it's not my life's focus (not suggesting it's yours either).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    I love how people say they refuse to eat halal meat as the way the animal killed was ''inhumane''.. well I think the way ANY animal is killed for us to eat is inhumane - halal or not. It makes no difference which way it was killed for me. It's inhumane regardless.
    Really? If you were about to be murdered for the sale of your meat, would you rather be knocked unconscious first or simply have your throat slit and slowly bleed to death?
    I do agree that all murder of animals is inhumane but I think there is clearly a method far more inhumane than the other.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to HarvestMoon For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (18-10-2014),Busy-Bee  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by rosey82 View Post
    We killed our own sheep growing up & this is exactly how my dad did it & he didn't give two $hits about halal or not, just kindest way to slaughter the animal to get meat for our family to eat.
    Yep - we are sheep/grain farmers in WA and pretty much every farmer I know has been killing their sheep this way for generations - my DH and his father included. I know people find it cruel and horrible but that's what happens and has happened on Australian farms for 100+ years. Most people are pretty happy to eat the results.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (18-10-2014),FiveInTheBed  (18-10-2014),Mod-pegasus  (26-10-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (18-10-2014)