+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Star Light View Post
    I'm so sick of anyone who objects to anything Muslim or religion related being jumped on and labelled as a racist or uneducated just because they disagree with certain practices. I will not buy Halal certified foods, so sue me. I do not believe that Halal slaughtering methods are humane (actually I think cutting an animals throat and letting it bleed out is cruel and outdated). I also do not believe that any religious organisation should have any control or say over food preparation or labeling whatsoever. The labeling of food as Halal certified is not free for companies. Money is paid to the Australian Federation of Islamic Councils for this certification. Whether it be Islamic or Christian or whoever, I would still disagree.
    Thanks for the post. I agree with you regarding the slaughter of animals. In respect of non-meat items, are companies required to change their food preparation to get the halal certification (other than add the symbol to the label)? I wasn't aware of this. I was wondering if you had any evidence you could share?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I personally still buy Vegemite - even when it was sold to an overseas company *shock horror*

The main complaint I have seen from boycotters is that it is an unnecessary certification for many products - such as the infamous Vegemite...and that the monies made from tis support religion [which is fair enough - I personally get a bit twitchy knowing that $245 million of tax payers money is funding aschool chaplaincy program!)

It is all about making money - *taken from Halal Australia website...
    Why Halal Certify?
    •The Halal industry experts believe the size of the total global Halal market including all types of Halal products, consumables and services to range from a minimum of US$1.2 trillion to US$2 trillion per annum (Global Halal Congress, 2010)
    •According to the World Halal Forum 2009, Time Magazine (May, 2009) reported that the total size of global Halal food market is worth about US$ 632 billion a year. This figure would be higher still if the non-Muslim consumers market is included.
    •Greater profit market share: no loss of non Muslim markets. The International Halal food trade has been estimated to be worth at least US$580 billion a year (Halal Journal, 2007).
    •Certification assists domestic Halal food and consumable industries in the developments and promotion of Australia as an International Halal Hub, consequently exploiting a global Halal food market of about 1.8 billion people.
    •Since Halal certification is not mandatory, a competitive advantage is gained over companies with no Halal certification.
    •Halal certification imposes strict personal sanitation requirements in addition to manufacturing premise hygiene practices, complimentary to the HACCP program.
    Apparently there is a $110 fee or initial visit to manufacturers sites - and then a contract is entered into, depending on what type of products they wish to have certified.
    Some people are annoyed that these figures for annual individual contracts are not being reported.

Also the AFIC [Australian Federation of Islamic Council] has back in 2011 been in the news for pushing for a pluralist legal system in Australia - a 'moderate sharia'.

Of course with the current climate there are going to be people jumping on this, seeing the stamp and getting overly paranoid!
    I for one don't think "vegemite = funding terrorism" ...but, I do think the process of Halal certification for basic products needs a little looking into.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (18-10-2014),harvs  (18-10-2014),Mrs Tickle  (19-10-2014),Star Light  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    I can relate to that. I'm veggie but I wouldn't buy halal meat because of this reason and because I think even if the animal is stunned there is something unnecessarily cruel about slitting the throat of an animal and letting it bleed to death. I don't want to be any part of supporting such a practice.

My ex worked in an abattoir and this was how all the sheep were slaughtered. It was his position. They would get stunned then he would slit their throats. I believe the difference is on Australian practice the stunning is irreversible as in severing the nerves whereas the halal practice is temporary stunning.
    I have honestly never come across someone boycotting halal foods for humane reasons before this thread. The place I come from is a small town with farms surrounding. I myself have gotten my own meat as it were after working in the shearing sheds. No one I knew cared about the origins. Though they all had a few drinks and were very vocal about anything foreign.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Technically Elijah's Mum and BigRedV you are both correct. I'm Muslim and I have relatives that own an abattoir, and this whole topic of Halal meat comes up surprisingly often in conversation. From what they've said I understand that in Australia there are currently two approaches to Halal slaughter, the large companies like Steggles, Ingham and large cattle abattoirs use the method of having an Imam (similar to a Priest) read a prayer over a large group of animals (or they often just play a recording of a prayer) and then they are slaughtered, the chickens are usually mechanically slaughtered just as they would be if they were non Halal and the cattle are often stunned first. Then there are smaller abattoirs that slaughter in the very traditional way of reading a prayer over every individual animal and hand slaughtering. These types of abattoirs are becoming less common though as they can't compete cost-wise with the larger companies.

Most Muslims that I know are happy to eat meat slaughtered the first way, some particularly orthodox Muslims prefer to spend more money to buy the second type of meat, but as I said this group is small hence why small operators are going out of business.

With regards to the Halal labeling, yes companies have to pay a fee to AFIC or whichever group is doing the certifying, this fee is basically to cover the cost of paying the wage of the person/people employed to do this job. If someone is spending time researching and liasing with companies to check what ingredients they are using and how the food is handled surely you would expect them to be paid for this. The money in no way supports terrorism and I find it absurd when people suggest this. Just because some terrorists are Muslims does not mean all Muslims are terrorists.

Also I just thought I'd mention the Prayer that is read for the animals is not some crazy voodoo thing, Islamic guidelines state that animals should only be killed if they are for food/ human need (clothing etc) and that they shouldn't be killed for fun or for sport. When we say a prayer (both before slaughtering, before cooking and before eating) we are thanking God for providing this sustenance for us.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

BigRedV  (18-10-2014),CompareTheMeerkat  (18-10-2014),Elijahs Mum  (18-10-2014),gizmoduckus  (18-10-2014),HollyGolightly81  (18-10-2014),meredithgreyxxx  (18-10-2014),mrswhitehouse  (18-10-2014),RobinSparkles  (18-10-2014),user9876  (19-10-2014),Wise Enough  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week
    My XH worked in several meat works while we were married. The animal had to be facing Mecca and was blessed by someone of Muslim faith before they were killed. He never mentioned the draining of blood but I am pretty squirmish so he may have left that bit out.

Nothing would ever make me give up Vegemite lol but it honestly doesn't bother me that it and many other products my family consume are Halal certified.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If anyone wants to look any further into 'Halal Australia' (rather than just going by random FB posts)
    here is a link...
    They list showing Recognition & Affiliation

[I'm not sure if they have to pay tax or not, or whether they have religious exemptions?]
    http://www.halal-australia.com.au/re...d-affiliation/
    Last edited by FiveInTheBed; 18-10-2014 at 10:02.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So do Halal certified companies pay for this certification themselves out of the kindness of their hearts? I doubt it - i'm going to assume these costs are passed on to consumers?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I love how people say they refuse to eat halal meat as the way the animal killed was ''inhumane''.. well I think the way ANY animal is killed for us to eat is inhumane - halal or not. It makes no difference which way it was killed for me. It's inhumane regardless.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GlitterFarts For This Useful Post:

almai  (19-10-2014),Elijahs Mum  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Minchi View Post
    I love how people say they refuse to eat halal meat as the way the animal killed was ''inhumane''.. well I think the way ANY animal is killed for us to eat is inhumane - halal or not. It makes no difference which way it was killed for me. It's inhumane regardless.
    Yeah but surely you can recognise that there is a varying scale of inhumaneness? For example there's a difference between shooting an innocent person in an armed robbery and beheading them after months of torture...

13. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

almai  (19-10-2014),Blessedwith3boys  (18-10-2014),Busy-Bee  (18-10-2014),HarvestMoon  (18-10-2014),HearMeRoar  (18-10-2014),Lauzy  (18-10-2014),Mod-pegasus  (26-10-2014),MrsH88  (19-10-2014),oozzle  (18-10-2014),Starfish30  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    All the abbatoirs in WA are halal certified. The animal is stunned to unconscious then killed by having its throat cut. A prayer is said.
    A) stressed animals don't taste good so in general abbatoirs are very calm places. It's in their best interest to treat the animals well.
    B) you have to cut the animals throat because otherwise the blood would pool in the meat & make it gross.
    We killed our own sheep growing up & this is exactly how my dad did it & he didn't give two $hits about halal or not, just kindest way to slaughter the animal to get meat for our family to eat.
    I don't think it's a big deal at all.

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rosey82 For This Useful Post:

CompareTheMeerkat  (18-10-2014),LotusMum  (18-10-2014),Mod-pegasus  (26-10-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (18-10-2014)