+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambiwantsababy View Post
    I have heard that anything that is halal approved, gives a portion of the company's money to Muslims in which case I don't agree because weather or not all Muslims are terrorists I believe personally that our people should come first in Australia. A lot of people don't agree with that and that's fine but that's just my opinion.
    I'm sorry but this makes me cross. Who are our people? We are a multicultural society with people from a wide variety of religions. Muslim Australians are still Australians.

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Last edited by BettyV; 18-10-2014 at 01:58.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BettyV For This Useful Post:

CakeyMumma  (18-10-2014),GlitterFarts  (18-10-2014),HearMeRoar  (18-10-2014),Mama Mirabelle  (18-10-2014),TheGooch  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a week
    I remember when vegemite changed their label to include the halal certification. I got a frantic call from my mother about it. She doesn't even like it but she was worried we were being over run.
    I agree with all the research a pp did and think people would object for those reasons if they looked into it further, although I don't think main****** Australia does look that deeply into it. From my experience they see it as a slow, sneaky attempt at "infiltrating" our country. I am not saying I agree with this, in fact I think it is ignorant and idiotic, but it is the steadfast belief of far too many people.
    In my opinion Halal is as much a symbol as the burqa/niqab is of Islam and that is what people are fighting against. The media and government have every one so terrified of the Muslim people that they attack any visible symbol of the religion that they can find.

I hope my ramblings have made sense.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CompareTheMeerkat For This Useful Post:

bubbasmum  (18-10-2014),ourbradybunch  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I believe the rage started from a false Facebook post incorrectly quoting D1ck Smith, which people gullibly believed.

http://www.dicksmithfoods.com.au/med...aims-quote-him

The link might not work as it has D1ck written in it but you can google D1ck Smith halal to read.

I was talking with some friends of mine who are Muslims and they said that now the animal only has to be blessed before being killed, it's not about the slaughter anymore. He said someone just stands in front of the paddock and blesses them and that's it. I don't know how true this is.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 18-10-2014 at 04:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I think people have the wrong idea on why people avoid/don't like halal. I've never heard/seen anything relating it to terrorism or funds being sent overseas.
    Yes, I'm sure there are a few narrow minded amongst the mix that think there is truth in such claims but ultimately, the avoidance/dislike of such foods is from an animal welfare perspective. It's quite a brutal and unnecessary process to 'prepare' meat in such a way. Not that I eat meat, but if I did, I'd probably avoid halal certified meat for ethical reasons. As for other non meat products, I don't mind the halal certification as it somewhat indicates that a product is more likely to be vegan friendly. Personally I wish companies would adopt the vegan/vegetarian symbols as well. Surely it's another niche in the market worth appealing to?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Bambiwantsababy View Post
    I have heard that anything that is halal approved, gives a portion of the company's money to Muslims in which case I don't agree because weather or not all Muslims are terrorists I believe personally that our people should come first in Australia. A lot of people don't agree with that and that's fine but that's just my opinion.
    And there aren't Australian Muslims?
    I hope you don't buy weetbix because guess what, they are made by sanitarium who are seventh day Adventists who originate in the USA.

For the record these "Muslim" terrorists are as Muslim as the Manson family or IRA are Christians.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (18-10-2014),Elle83  (25-10-2014),mrswhitehouse  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm vegetarian so I don't eat meat anyway, but I avoid giving my daughter halal meat because of the small number of places in Australia that have been given exemption for not doing pre-slaughter stunning. Same as how I don't like her to eat non free range meat. My best friend is Muslim so it has nothing to do with religion.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to bezzy For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    I

I was talking with some friends of mine who are Muslims and they said that now the animal only has to be blessed before being killed, it's not about the slaughter anymore. He said someone just stands in front of the paddock and blesses them and that's it. I don't know how true this is.
    I don't think this is true for proper certification - my BIL is a butcher and used to be a meat wholesaler and Australian Halal meat is in great demand overseas ( especially the USA as they do not have strict halal guidelines over there ) as it has one of the strictest halal policy's in the world including bleeding, cutting and quality of animal

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so sick of anyone who objects to anything Muslim or religion related being jumped on and labelled as a racist or uneducated just because they disagree with certain practices. I will not buy Halal certified foods, so sue me. I do not believe that Halal slaughtering methods are humane (actually I think cutting an animals throat and letting it bleed out is cruel and outdated). I also do not believe that any religious organisation should have any control or say over food preparation or labeling whatsoever. The labeling of food as Halal certified is not free for companies. Money is paid to the Australian Federation of Islamic Councils for this certification. Whether it be Islamic or Christian or whoever, I would still disagree.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Star Light For This Useful Post:

Bambiwantsababy  (23-10-2014),HarvestMoon  (18-10-2014),heplusme  (18-10-2014),MINIRoo  (18-10-2014),Mrs Tickle  (19-10-2014),MrsH88  (19-10-2014),Starfish30  (18-10-2014),~BEXTER~  (24-10-2014)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by bezzy View Post
    I'm vegetarian so I don't eat meat anyway, but I avoid giving my daughter halal meat because of the small number of places in Australia that have been given exemption for not doing pre-slaughter stunning. Same as how I don't like her to eat non free range meat. My best friend is Muslim so it has nothing to do with religion.
    I can relate to that. I'm veggie but I wouldn't buy halal meat because of this reason and because I think even if the animal is stunned there is something unnecessarily cruel about slitting the throat of an animal and letting it bleed to death. I don't want to be any part of supporting such a practice.

As I have said before, I think different people boycott halal certified food for different reasons but one of them is possibly the additional cost involved that woudl be passed on to consumers of food that has always been halal (eg vegemite). I don't think it's unreasonable that a Muslim/someone wishing to buy halal food should be able to read the ingredients on a label and ascertain whether a product is halal or not. I understand this is not always straight forward though. As a vegetarian I have read many labels to ascertain if a product is veggie and it's difficult to tell sometimes and I just wish I could see a green veggie tick or read "suitable for vegetarians/vegans". I wonder why labels can't just say "halal compliant" rather than pay for use of the symbol. But then I get that self-certification does not hold the credibility of third party certification.

GAHHH!!! I'm not further along in understanding!!!

If someone is reading this and does have an insight into why people boycott halal certified products and would feel more comfortable in a private conversation then please PM me as I would really like to know more. I get that it's a contentious topic but I would like to know more and I any conversations would be kept private.

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Please explain why all my friends hate Halal food.

People who say they are anti-Muslim are *generally* using the term interchangeably to mean anti-Arab. And that is racism. For whatever reason. Differentiating between 'our' people and 'not our people' is racist, IMO. Objecting to religion is everyone's prerogative, but vilifying people on the grounds of their religion is not only immoral but also illegal, regardless of the religion.

Objecting to Halal food on ethical and religious grounds is up to the individual. I don't think anyone has disputed that on this thread.

Anyone who believes/spreads information purely from an unsourced anonymous Facebook post, no matter what the topic, is uneducated *about that subject*. I stand by that.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

beebs  (20-10-2014),HillDweller  (23-10-2014),Mod-pegasus  (26-10-2014),TheGooch  (19-10-2014)