+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast
    Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I find this thread fascinating. I have partaken in many threads of a similar ilk on facebook and find that they get inflammatory way before this one got to this stage.

The reasons that people have given on other threads (facebook) is that
    • the costs are passed onto the consumers
    • if we buy halal certified foods we are funding organisations which are funding terrorism

Once you break it down, it doesn't seem as rational.

If you are worried about costs being passed onto the consumer - the don't buy the product -buy a similar product which doesn't have the halal certification.
    Then again - I really believe that corporations which are gaining halal certification aren't doing it out of the goodness of their hearts (I think they are doing it to maintain or gain a part of the market - which means there will be no extra cost to passed onto the consumer as it's in their own "best interest")

Point 2 - Funding of terrorist organisations is against the law in Australia - therefore if there was any substance to the claims that paying for a halal certification funded any terrorist organisation then the company benefitting would be persecuted and we haven't seen that happen in Australia (yes, that has been proven in Canada (and I think in USA), but without any substantial proof here - it's all hear say.)

Any of the talk regarding boycotting of halal certified products on other forums I am a party of have been regarding people being worried about the two reasons I've listed above and have barely mentioned about the slaughter of animals
    Last edited by Mod-pegasus; 26-10-2014 at 04:20.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (26-10-2014)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    ... Muslims can eat kosher foods but Jews usually can't eat halal
    If halal certification is growing in Australia then this would mean the narrowing of the choice of food for Jews. That's not very inclusive.

ETA: I'm in the process of doing further investigation and have uncovered some additional 'reasons' of the halal boycott. I have been given some more information but I need to analyse it further before I will post.
    Last edited by Busy-Bee; 26-10-2014 at 09:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I know it's OT from halal.... but what is the basis for separating dairy and meat in kosher?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (26-10-2014),HearMeRoar  (26-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Because the Torah says so - In exodus G-d says not to cook a goat in its mothers milk - this is then taken to mean not to mix meat and dairy

Some say because it was more hygienic not to back in the day and currently it's been found that meat and dairy together do not digest well but when I asked my sisters rabbi why the strict kosher rules he said because G-d wants you to think of him and your religion daily by adhering to rules that must be used daily ( and we all eat food daily ) not just on special occasions or holidays

I'm not sure why Muslims are not as strict or the Christians for that matter as they both acknowledge exodus and deuteronomy ?
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 26-10-2014 at 11:26.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (26-10-2014),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (29-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Because the Torah says so - In exodus G-d says not to cook a goat in its mothers milk - this is then taken to mean not to mix meat and dairy

Some say because it was more hygienic not to back in the day and currently it's been found that meat and dairy together do not digest well but when I asked my sisters rabbi why the strict kosher rules he said because G-d wants you to think of him and your religion daily by adhering to rules that must be used daily ( and we all eat food daily ) not just on special occasions or holidays

I'm not sure why Muslims are not as strict or the Christians for that matter as they both acknowledge exodus and deuteronomy ?
    Interesting. Christians are the least strict food wise. I'm not sure why. But then I think most modern Christian groups that aren't born again/fundamental draw much more from the New Testament, and Jesus said very little about food.

I've found this thread very enlightening.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (26-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Interesting. Christians are the least strict food wise. I'm not sure why. But then I think most modern Christian groups that aren't born again/fundamental draw much more from the New Testament, and Jesus said very little about food.

I've found this thread very enlightening.
    Acts 6 explains it. If you want to look it up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    If halal certification is growing in Australia then this would mean the narrowing of the choice of food for Jews
    This is not necessarily true, it is possible for a product to be both Halal and Kosher. For example a product that contains non animal rennet or non animal gelatine would be suitable for both Muslims and Jews. Many products that have the Halal symbol also have the Kosher symbol. The key thing to note is that Halal does necessarily imply meat slaughtered in a certain way, it can also be used to identify products that use non animal products or contain no alcohol or pork products. Furthermore many items in the supermarket are both Halal and Kosher inherently and require no labelling, for example all fruits and vegetables.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (26-10-2014),VicPark  (29-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Something has come up on mix 102.3s Facebook page about Krispy Kremes all the bogans are out in full swing 😔

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    If halal certification is growing in Australia then this would mean the narrowing of the choice of food for Jews. That's not very inclusive.

Jewish people can either eat unprocessed food or pull their finger out and strengthen the kosher certification processes. Demand determines supply You can't blame the Muslim community because their food processes are more established... Ridiculous..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Jewish people can either eat unprocessed food or pull their finger out and strengthen the kosher certification processes. Demand determines supply You can't blame the Muslim community because their food processes are more established... Ridiculous..
    No Jews are complaining about kosher certification? They have done and will always do their own certification regardless of what is halal or not as it has absolutely nothing to do with their process so calm down