+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by brooketobub View Post
    So on the topic of Halal, I always thought it was just meat.

How are products like noodles and vegemite Halal? Wouldnt they be anyway because they dont have meat? Just trying to wrap my head around it. Im learning a lot from this thread, about something I honestly havnt thought much about in the past.
    Yes, this is a question I've had.
    Especially Vegemite.
    I'm vegan and Vegemite is one of the food products I have daily.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Because they may contain meat or animal products

Sent from my C6603 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    I don't get this. Why not say until all Australians are living in decent conditions you shouldn't help asylum seekers/poor people overseas .

If you have the power to stop a wrong, then you do it regardless of what the scoreboard says.
    That's your choice. I'm stating mine. I have no issue with the current method of killing livestock or the live trade export. I'm not ashamed or embarrassed by my decision.

With your last comment - I agree. But sometimes 'wrong' is in the eyes of the beholder.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LotusMum View Post
    Because they may contain meat or animal products

I guess the animal products makes sense with dairy etc, but I would hope the animals arnt being killed for their milk

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's surprising what contains animal products.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I guess the animal products makes sense with dairy etc, but I would hope the animals arnt being killed for their milk
    It's more all the hidden extras that may be in products. The only example I can think of is gelatine, it's an animal product that may not be acceptably killed so to make it so that the product can be bought by Muslims they label it halal if it's been killed properly.

Hope that makes sense.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

heplusme  (19-10-2014),VicPark  (19-10-2014)

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you

How are products like noodles and vegemite Halal? Wouldnt they be anyway because they dont have meat? Just trying to wrap my head around it. Im learning a lot from this thread, about something I honestly havnt thought much about in the past.
    I found this as a response from Vegemite to why they have chosen to be halal certified.
    I have no idea how yeast is processed and what role alcohol does or does not play in the process.
    Further, we wish to advise Vegemite does not contain any ingredients from animals and that the Halal certification also warrants that, in accordance with Islamic law, the yeast has been processed to ensure the product is alcohol free.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (19-10-2014),heplusme  (19-10-2014),VicPark  (19-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Halal food is food that is permitted for Muslims according to certain criteria, similar to Kosher for Jews, although the criteria for Halal and Kosher are different.

Halal food encompasses the following:

- any meat that had been slaughtered accordingly besides pork and any carnivorous animal

- food that does not contain any animal products sourced from a non Halal animal such as gelatine or rennet (so cheese which contains rennet may or may not be Halal). There are also many additives and preservatives that contain animal products and so might not be Halal but just by reading ingredient lists you would not be able to decipher this

- food that does not contain alcohol; or if alcohol was used in the manufacture process it must be burned off so that the alcohol content is under a certain percentage in the final product, I think it's something like less than 0.01%

- no cross contamination, so Halal food can't be made in the same factory, using the same tools that makes non Halal food.

There might be other criteria that I've missed out here, these are the ones I can think of off the top of my head but as you can see, it is more involved than just reading the ingredients and buying products without pork or alcohol in them. Halal certification helps because all the thorough research is already done for you so it's much easier to be sure you're buying a suitable product.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It is not just food that is considered to be Halal or Haram... types of music are also considered Halal. I don't think certification has gone as far as to label individual CDs or down load yet though.

Basically Halal is something that the chosen god allows, and Haram is something considered unlawful.

If Islam is fully adhered to - it is quite a strict lifestyle.
    ..but, as you have varying 'types' of Christians - you have varying 'types' of Muslims. Some people are 'cultural Muslims' so enjoy the traditions but do not strictly adhere to the scriptures.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Mrs Tickle  (19-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FiveInTheBed View Post
    It is not just food that is considered to be Halal or Haram... types of music are also considered Halal. I don't think certification has gone as far as to label individual CDs or down load yet though.

Basically Halal is something that the chosen god allows, and Haram is something considered unlawful.
    Yes, I've heard of Halal banking products too.

I understand a lot of Muslims opt to use banks that are Sharia-compliant (eg. offer accounts and bank loans without interest, don't invest in areas such as alcohol, gambling etc)