+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I personally think that halal food is marketing gone bat**** crazy. The principles behind it are nothing but honourable: only kill animals to eat them or use their skin, don't eat dead animals (as they could transmit diseases if dead for too long), have a prayer in respect for the animal killed, etc.

All this is very good but it is NOT compatible with industrial food. Have a recording of a prayer played to masses of cattle and have them 'technically not dead' is (to me) not in alignment with the intent of halal food.

Now the reasons why so many foods are getting certified is simply because there is a huge market for it. The costs of certification are not passed onto the customers because more products are sold and that outweighs the certification price.

All these theories of it funding terrorism is total non sense.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to sydney1980 For This Useful Post:

Star Light  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by delirium View Post
    Interesting, thanks. It would make sense about needing to be alive so they know it isn't off in hot countries. I admit I'm cringing at them not being stunned first those poor animals.
    And this is the point where I struggle with the farmers care about their stock point. How can a farmer honestly say they care when they are selling live sheep or cattle to countries where they know they won't be killed humanely?

I realise it's off topic but I really struggle with our live export trade.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

HarvestMoon  (18-10-2014),HearMeRoar  (18-10-2014),Star Light  (18-10-2014),VicPark  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    I loathe it too. DH and I spend many hours discussing it and it's never pretty. We personally only have a small (relatively - we have about 2000 ewes and lambs) amount of livestock so our livelihood isn't dependent on live export but I hate, hate, hate the practice. I don't know what the solution is though.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (18-10-2014),Mod-pegasus  (26-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    I loathe it too. DH and I spend many hours discussing it and it's never pretty. We personally only have a small (relatively - we have about 2000 ewes and lambs) amount of livestock so our livelihood isn't dependent on live export but I hate, hate, hate the practice. I don't know what the solution is though.
    Don't we just as a country take a stand and say no we won't be part of that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm Muslim and find this really quite silly.

Many products are 'halal' noodles, chicken at some supermarkets meat pies etc

I would be surprised if those who say these things would go to the effort to purposely buy a product that is not halal.

I think perhaps some is ignorance.

And some may well be the way animals are slaughtered for halal foods.

Maybe alot to do with current events

9. The Following User Says Thank You to zuelianaq For This Useful Post:

CompareTheMeerkat  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not really wanting to weigh in on any arguments, but have some relevant info. I work for a major fast food retailer and worked on getting some of our products/stores halal certified. The fees were to do so were really minimal. It was an application fee of a few hundred dollars, then an admin fee of another hundred or so. Then we would just have to pay a small amount for any additional products we wanted to add. Honestly, for the amount of admin and hours involved, I can't see that the certifier would be making much money from it at all. The costs certainly weren't passed on to our consumers either, as they were such small amounts when spread over the product/store/system. Also, most of our products were (unknowingly to us) already halal acceptable.

I'm not taking sides in any arguments here, and not wanting to get involved, just wanted to provide that info

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to littlelove For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (18-10-2014),HearMeRoar  (18-10-2014),TheGooch  (19-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I don't see the big problem with Halal certification. You have heart foundation ticks, RSPCA certified chicken products ... Halal certification big deal. You can't rely on manufacturer honesty in any if these situations, a central certifier keeps the ******** honest (or however the saying goes). If there's a market for it why not.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    Don't we just as a country take a stand and say no we won't be part of that.
    I wish it were that simple but like everything, it's a pretty complex issue that would leave lots of people without an income and money makes things complicated. The hope is that the more and more of the overseas abottoirs that we as a country export to will be educated in the more humane methods of slaughter. Anyway, it's an interesting (and frustrating!) discussion but probably quite off topic for this thread.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (18-10-2014),Mod-pegasus  (26-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    And this is the point where I struggle with the farmers care about their stock point. How can a farmer honestly say they care when they are selling live sheep or cattle to countries where they know they won't be killed humanely?

It's a commercial venture. At the end of the day some/most farmers need to make some money for their family. Live export of animals is a way to do so and keep the costs of labour down. Either the animals are killed here cheaply or sent over to be killed even cheaper. Plus with export I think the buyer/transporter has to deal with the costs of travel/feed/water etc.

Do you guys realise how much banning life export has cost the nation? I understand some ppl are against it and that's their decision but I'd rather the ppl actually effected ie the farmers, traders, transporters etc make that decision. I know in qld and the NT a dairy few cattle farmers had to just slaughter a large amount of cattle as they couldn't afford to feed them once the practice was stopped.

I know I'm going to get slammed for this but live export of animals doesn't upset me. I'd rather the agriculture industry finally make some decent money.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by littlelove View Post
    Not really wanting to weigh in on any arguments, but have some relevant info. I work for a major fast food retailer and worked on getting some of our products/stores halal certified. The fees were to do so were really minimal. It was an application fee of a few hundred dollars, then an admin fee of another hundred or so. Then we would just have to pay a small amount for any additional products we wanted to add. Honestly, for the amount of admin and hours involved, I can't see that the certifier would be making much money from it at all. The costs certainly weren't passed on to our consumers either, as they were such small amounts when spread over the product/store/system. Also, most of our products were (unknowingly to us) already halal acceptable.

I'm not taking sides in any arguments here, and not wanting to get involved, just wanted to provide that info

Sent from my GT-I9195T using The Bub Hub mobile app
    Yeh - it would be interesting to know what individual contratcs look like.

...because there is also stuff like this being reported -

"One major Queensland meat processor, which did not want to be identified, claimed it had been quoted $27,000 a month in Halal certification fees through another MUI-endorsed certifier - four times more than AHFS had been charging."

http://www.news.com.au/national/auss...-1226743120181

[and this story is from 12 months ago - so it's not like it is jumping on a crrent badwagon]

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Lauzy  (18-10-2014),Star Light  (18-10-2014)