+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    Some of our legally allowed standards are still disgusting - the living conditions of caged hens and factory pig farms for example are atrocious , trust me I'm sure the animals wouldn't care how they died as they couldn't bare to keep living - but consumers whinge about not being able to afford /justify the extra money to but organic or free range so of course these animals suffer and until every consumer actually gets involved as to how their eggs/ milk/ meat/ chicken ect are bred and killed - I bet there would be thousands more vegetarians if they saw how their food lived
    Most free range eggs aren't even. Worth googling ACCC and free range eggs

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    You're free to question all you like but without actual evidence to support your insinuations it all comes off looking like a bit of a witch hunt. If people have a problem with Halal labelling it's fairly simple, just don't buy that product. I don't have a whinge when products contain pork or alcohol, I just don't buy them and move on with my life.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

MsViking  (18-10-2014),user9876  (19-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Mirabelle View Post
    The stamp is relevant to the people it is being marketed towards, so to me it is not a gimmick. Maybe it is to you and that's fine, it doesn't have any bearing on my life.

As for plain water being labelled, that is obviously ridiculous and a gimmick, I know literally no Muslims who would look for a Halal label on water. If it was flavoured water though it would be relevant because some flavours and colours are not Halal.
    I'm going to stop conversing with you now -- when conversation starts getting personal, using words like 'you, me, my life, your life etc etc' ...I find it is difficult to have a rational discussion.

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Mirabelle View Post
    The stamp is relevant to the people it is being marketed towards, so to me it is not a gimmick. Maybe it is to you and that's fine, it doesn't have any bearing on my life.

As for plain water being labelled, that is obviously ridiculous and a gimmick, I know literally no Muslims who would look for a Halal label on water. If it was flavoured water though it would be relevant because some flavours and colours are not Halal.
    I just found this bottled water with Halal certification. (In the interest of balance it is also Kosher certified.)
    http://capegrim.com.au/waterlogos.php
    Cape Grim's bottled water is certified by the AFIC and fully compliant with all halal requirements,
    From what I can gather, I think it's a fair assumption that many of the Halal certified boycotters take issue with 100% of buyers paying for the certification of an item when it affects approximately 2% of the population.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Busy-Bee For This Useful Post:

Star Light  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    That's fine, this topic is inherently personal to me and it would impossible for me to speak as if it is not.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by Busy-Bee View Post
    From what I can gather, I think it's a fair assumption that many of the Halal certified boycotters take issue with 100% of buyers paying for the certification of an item when it affects approximately 2% of the population.
    But if people are boycotting a product then they are not consumers of that product, so a company caters to those who are consuming the product instead. Muslims have no control over whether a company passes on the cost of certification, neither do Jews, Vegetarians etc. Complaining about it doesn't achieve anything, contact the company and tell them how you feel, if it's in their interests they'll stop certifying their products and if not well that's life.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mama Mirabelle For This Useful Post:

Mod-pegasus  (26-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Before this thread I had no idea about halal food but now I know I will be looking out for the symbol and avoiding it due to how the animals are slaughtered. I can understand animals being slaughtered one at a time to the Muslim law... the prayer to Allah and no meat going to waste...but I can't see it being done right in a bulk situation. For a start a prayer is not going to be said for each individual animal and they can't guarantee that the meat is going to be consumed. Stunning the animal in most cases stops the heart which is pointless when they need the animal to bleed out.
    Those who can handle it...take a look at just how the bulk sheep are slaughterd... (yes, I watched it all before I stepped into this thread).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    ...Boycotting is pretty much sending a message to the company.
    Plenty of the people who don't purchase also send letters and make phone calls.
    They're not just 'having a whinge'.

{again - I still buy the food...I love food...}

Now this may come across as offensive - but this is how I as someone who has not been indoctrinated into, converted to, or reverted to, a religion, views the whole drama.

...say Scientologists started charging for a stamp to be applied to some food products and the stores that stock those food products - so that they were "Scientology approved" ...and then some people weren't too fond of that and wanted to know where the proceeds were going.

Basically that sums it up for me.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FiveInTheBed For This Useful Post:

Lauzy  (18-10-2014),Star Light  (18-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Traditionally animals shouldn't be stunned in order to be Halal, however almost all cattle are stunned before slaughter in Australia as it is the law; like a previous poster said, as long as the stun does not kill them they can still be labelled Halal.

Also just because something doesn't have a Halal label doesn't make it non- Halal, pretty much all meat in Australia is technically Halal, almost all the meat sold in Coles and Woolies is besides the Pork, this is because the export market to the Middle East and places like Indonesia, Malaysia etc is worth a fortune and in order for meat to be exported there it must be Halal

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I'm really interested in the concept behind Halal. Why must the animal be alive and why must the throat be cut? What happens in Middle Eastern countries themselves? Do they stun the animal first?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (18-10-2014)