+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bubs head smaller than tummy AND out of proportion measurements - Advice?

On Wednesday evening, at my antenatal appointment, my fundal measurement was 32.5cm, I was 36+5. Concerned about the small measurement, I was sent for an ultrasound.

Yesterday afternoon I had said ultrasound, bub is measuring on the 20th percentile, which is within normal.. However; this percentile was bought up majorly by an out of proportion abdominal circumference.
    The measurements were:
    BPD - 86.2mm - below 5th percentile
    HC - 313.0mm - 9th percentile
    FL - 64.1mm - below 5th percentile
    AC - 327.3mm - 75th percentile!

Does anyone know if the larger AC measurement is representative of anything being wrong?
    Does having a larger AC to HC make it harder to birth? Will there be an increase risk of shoulder dystocia?
    Would a c-section be a better option? Has anyone been in the same position? What was the outcome?

I don't have an appointment with doctors until Tuesday and I have so many questions!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Do you have GD? My dd's belly was bigger than her head at my 34 week growth scan which I was told is quite common for GD babies. I was told that she was at risk for shoulder dystocia but she was also measuring 4 weeks ahead so that may have also had something to do with it. I was preparing for a vb anyway but ended up having a csection due to her turning breech.

Thanks
    Reviews
    No GD.
    Was suspected iugr, but the ac throws that out of the window. I wonder if it may be characteristic of an abnormality..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    A late scan showed my dd to have a large abdominal circumference (off the charts), although she was large everywhere but her AC was the only one off the charts. I was asked to re do the GTT to be extra sure I didn't have gestational diabetes (I didn't). They were worried about shoulder distocia and didn't think I should birth vaginally, but I had already given birth naturally to a 10lb 3oz bub so for that reason they were ok with me trying.

anyway, I had an easy uneventful birth and she wasn't even that big in the end (8lb 4oz). Growth scans can be wrong.

I am not sure if the big difference between your baby's AC measurements and other measurements means anything, so can't help with that. But I hope it all
    goes well for you

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Do you have a copy of your ultrasound report? If so, anything suspicious on there they would have put in the comments/conclusion section. I wouldn't worry too much. If your care providers are concerned about anything with baby, they WILL tell you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by theoneandonlyem View Post
    Do you have a copy of your ultrasound report? If so, anything suspicious on there they would have put in the comments/conclusion section. I wouldn't worry too much. If your care providers are concerned about anything with baby, they WILL tell you.
    The ultrasound report indicates "small for dates"

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    My sister had a very similar set of stats - though her baby was about 10th percentile (they were talking IUGR) - and she's a 100% healthy 8 month old. She's tall and slim.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have just had a similar thing with my 10 week old DD2. Had extra scans during preg and at 34 and 36 weeks AC was bigger than HC.

At my 36+5 scan HC was 320mm and AC was 333mm. It was never even mentioned to me about birth being difficult or needing a csection.

However, DD2s birth was very very difficult with a prolonged second stage and narrowly avoiding a distocia. Physically, it has taken me a lot longer to recover from this birth and I have some damage that may need surgery in the long run, she was very big too at 4.35kg or 9p9oz. I don't mean to scare you but I would be asking the doctor about this just to get all your information.

Also, no one ever seemed concerned about the smaller HC.

All the best

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbielouise View Post
    The ultrasound report indicates "small for dates"

Sent from my GT-I9505 using The Bub Hub mobile app
    If that's all it says then I wouldn't worry. Some people just have smaller babies. Small for dates would indicate what we call a 'small for gestational age' (SGA) baby. Don't stress too much. If something was wrong, it would say so on the report.