+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default High white blood cells-

Just wondering if anyone has had a urine test reveal an abnormally high white blood cell count?
    My DH had full blood/urine tests done and the results have come back showing this. His doctor actually mentioned cancer/leukaemia and obviously it needs to be ruled out so he's having more tests first thing in the morning.
    I've done some research and I know there can be other causes, but naturally we're quite worried at this stage.
    So has anyone had a high white blood cell count and if so what was the reason?
    Thanks.

Me 32, He 35, DS 14, DD 2

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Usually means a UTI. For leukaemia to show in urine he would be really really sick.

I see lots of ppl with white blood cells in their urine. Mostly it's an infection.

If his bloods are showing an increase then that's a worry. If it's an increase in mature cells vs immature cells it can mean different things.

wifey of hubby who is always away. mother of two girls who are always amusing.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (16-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply. He doesn't know whether the results came from his urine test result or his blood. But first thing tomorrow he needs to take in his morning urine sample for more testing.
    Do you think that would mean they have possibly noticed the high white blood cell count in his blood and are testing his urine to rule out infection? I wonder why they aren't testing his blood again at this stage?

Thanks
    Reviews
    He's not sick. He doesn't have an infection/UTI. He's constantly exhausted though...but we put that down to the fact he is a vegetarian and maybe lacking in iron.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Did they mention they saw blast cells in his blood??? Are they doing a bone marrow biopsy??? If they really are thinking leukemia they will schedule one in the next day or so. I'm sorry you are going through this. My daughter has the opposite problem she has critically low white cells. Can be very very scary at times. My little one had her first BMB two days before her second birthday and will need annual ones.
    Hope they work out what's wrong with you DP xx

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Loulabelle For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (16-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Louabelle is right. If they think it's leukaemia he would need a bone marrow test ASAP. Getting a urine as a follow up is weird unless they are doing toxicology.

Any unnatural bruising? Bleeding?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    Thanks for your reply. He doesn't know whether the results came from his urine test result or his blood. But first thing tomorrow he needs to take in his morning urine sample for more testing.
    Do you think that would mean they have possibly noticed the high white blood cell count in his blood and are testing his urine to rule out infection? I wonder why they aren't testing his blood again at this stage?

High WBC in blood can be due to infection or pathological disease. But site of infection is hard to determine on bloods esp for UTI, URT, GIT and viruses. Didn't he see his pathology results?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Louabelle is right. If they think it's leukaemia he would need a bone marrow test ASAP. Getting a urine as a follow up is weird unless they are doing toxicology.

Any unnatural bruising? Bleeding?
    What does doing toxicology mean? What warrants that particular path/type of testing? What will they be looking for?

I wasn't at his appointment, I think the doctor just explained that the white blood cells were a concern and he needs a follow up urine test. It's all he can tell me :/

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Marigold~ View Post
    What does doing toxicology mean? What warrants that particular path/type of testing? What will they be looking for?

I wasn't at his appointment, I think the doctor just explained that the white blood cells were a concern and he needs a follow up urine test. It's all he can tell me :/

Toxicology looks for drugs or toxins in urine or blood. Some chemicals can cause unnatural blood test results. Esp if he is a tradie.

Will check at work tomorrow about a urine being a follow up test for high wbc in blood. That bit doesnt make sense.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

~Marigold~  (16-10-2014)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia View Post
    Toxicology looks for drugs or toxins in urine or blood. Some chemicals can cause unnatural blood test results. Esp if he is a tradie.

Will check at work tomorrow about a urine being a follow up test for high wbc in blood. That bit doesnt make sense.

Thank you.