+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Wrap help! Houdini baby

My bub is 4 weeks old and I'm having a lot of trouble with wrapping him. He manages to get his hands out and undo wraps unless they are fairly thick - this is ok atm as the weather is still cool but as it warms up I have no idea what to do. He has completely undone muslin wraps, flannelette and thin stretchy wraps. I have a zip up one but he rolls on his side in it - same with the thin wraps - he will roll in it as well as undo them. I thought it was my technique but even if I do it super tight and try different ways of wrapping him he still gets out/rolls! Help!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Houdini!! I guess it depends on how much longer you plan on wrapping him. I still wrap my almost 5 month old for day naps and he doesn't fight it as much. If you plan on wrapping bub for a while longer or plan on other kids you could get those ergo type wraps. (Sorry not sure if that's what you meant that you've tried). This type of thin can transition to a sleep bag too. http://www.ergopouch.com.au/our-prod...sleep-bag.html

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does he mind being unwrapped? My first did not mind so we stopped when he was a few weeks old for the same reasons. My last needed to be and was a few months old before we stopped. You csn also buy swaddling suits that gives the same feeling .

Sent from my GT-I9305T using The Bub Hub mobile app

Thanks
    Reviews
    He doesn't seem to mind being unwrapped unless he dongs himself on his head with his hands. If I don't wrap him can I use the sleeping bags yet with his arms out? Or is he too little? The zip up one is the tight ergo cocoon type with their hands zipped up inside, but he rolls in it :/
    Eta how long do you need to wrap for and are the safe sids sleep alternatives the sleeping bags? I'm a bit confused about all this!
    Last edited by Pearlygirl; 16-10-2014 at 07:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearlygirl View Post
    He doesn't seem to mind being unwrapped unless he dongs himself on his head with his hands. If I don't wrap him can I use the sleeping bags yet with his arms out? Or is he too little? The zip up one is the tight ergo cocoon type with their hands zipped up inside, but he rolls in it :/
    Eta how long do you need to wrap for and are the safe sids sleep alternatives the sleeping bags? I'm a bit confused about all this!
    Yeah if you don't wrap him you can use the sleeping bag if it's the right size (too loose = bits that could cover his face). You could try only putting one arm in with the cocoon and he may not roll. I put my DS to sleep on his back but he always ends up on his side anyway but being a bit older it doesn't worry me as much as it would've when he was only 4 weeks.
    I'm not sure what the recommendations are with wrapping I guess like anything else it depends on bub. I personally didn't even start wrapping him until he was almost 2 months and even then it was only at night. I've started doing it again during the day when I can keep an eye on this rolling baby because it keeps him asleep for longer.
    I'm pretty sure SIDS recommends sleeping bags as opposed to blankets because they can't pull them over their head etc. you can check out their website they have an online store too where they stock sleeping bags (but don't endorse any particular brands I don't think).

Thanks
    Reviews

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you tried a love to dream swaddle? Hands are up in these but they can't move them enough to dong themselves on the face, and would make it harder to roll

Thanks
    Reviews
    I loved Miracle Blankets - they saved my life! http://www.miracleblanket.com.au

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was going to say love to dream swaddle too. I have my bub in a swaddle pod at the moment, but he kind of rolls in it, and at 3 weeks old it is getting a bit tight, so I have been looking at the love to dreams. There is a "lite" version which is summer weight, and their arms kind of go up near their ears, so looks like it would be hard to roll in.
    I've always swaddled my babies up until 3-4 months, as they seem to like it and I think it makes them sleep better

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also second Miracle blanket, used one with DS1 who was a total Houdini.