+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Breathing alarm just went off!!!

Hi all!

Just after any experiences/advice. My DS is 7 days old and was sleeping in his bassinet tonight when the breathing alarm went off. It turned itself off before we reached him but has scared the daylights out of me!

I noticed he had thrown up too. Do you think this could have had something to do with it? Or did he genuinely stop breathing?!?!

Any thoughts?!?!

I'm guessing we won't be getting much sleep tonight - lots of baby watching!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Our alarm went off one time with dd (who is now 4!), I happened to be right outside her door and heard her do a huge inhalation, so I think she did have a longer time between breaths than the machine like. Gave me a fright at the time, but never happened again.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Could have held his breath, sounds like reflux. Babies often have oxygen desaturations (fleeting episodes- that is that they self resolve and come few and far between)
    Maybe try keep him upright after a feed for 10-15 mins!

I'd rather run to false alarm! Gee that brings back memories!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I agree! I'd run to a false alarm any day!

Thanks for your replies - he did go straight down after a big feed so might be an idea to keep him upright for a while, good tip!

We used a different monitor with DD and never had the alarm go off so think it took me by surprise! Even second time round I'm still paranoid!

Gosh these little people are worrying! He is in his bassinet but so close to my bed I can barely fit through! I'll be listening for his breathing all night no doubt!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Treat the alarm as a reminder to check bub, not a reason to panic. We had several false alarms with ours, one even happened while I was sitting here watching her chest rise and fall so she was obviously breathing. We actually decided after that, that the alarm was doing more harm than good for our anxiety levels and we stopped using it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the same thought beccilou - is it making me more paranoid?!

But it is a good reminder to check bub!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We had a couple of those when DD was younger than 6 months. Nothing since then. She's now 13 months and I still use it lol

Thanks
    Reviews
    Even in the nicu, our nurses and drs always said look at your baby before panicking due to alarms going off.

Check his face. A whiteish tinge above lip, indicates wind. If he's stopped breathing, he would have a slight blue tinge around his mouth, possibly his fingers/toes or look mottled/grey.

It was probably just a bit of reflux from a big feed. Keep an eye on it, but don't panic.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had several false alarms, especially before 4 months.

Can you turn the sensitivity of the monitor up? I think a lot of times when bubs are really little the monitor sometimes misses their breathing.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have turned the sensitivity up to max. I'm thinking it was a false alarm as he seemed fine and I'm feeding him now and he'a normal.

I didn't know that about the white above the lip - great tip thank you